Status
Not open for further replies.

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
Bob Probert, Joey Kocur, Tony Twist and Link Gaetz, were all guys that tried to kill you on the ice during a fight. These guys were just mean, tough SOBs. They were legit ill tempered mean guys that liked to fight.

Machinehead

GoAwayKakko
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
As far as suggestions go, I would have Sandy McCarthy over a lot of the names up there.

Real solid player and a good fighter. Could switch from soft hands to hard hands in a minute.

Belzebob

Apr 10, 2016
I think it all depends on your definition of "enforce"

I think Matthews enforced his will in contract negotiations with dubas

Adele Dazeem

Oct 20, 2015
On an island
Chris Neil has to be top-10 at the very least. He was an extremely smart player (as proven by his long career compared to some of the players listed). He wasn't just a prototypical goon, he could agitate his opponents both mentally and physically. Stood up to the giant Chara.

SotasicA

Aug 25, 2014
Chris Neil has to be top-10 at the very least. He was an extremely smart player (as proven by his long career compared to some of the players listed). He wasn't just a prototypical goon, he could agitate his opponents both mentally and physically. Stood up to the giant Chara.
He really isn't though. There were just so many better and tougher enforcers, even during his time.

Must be recency bias, because he only just retired.

Adele Dazeem

Oct 20, 2015
On an island
He really isn't though. There were just so many better and tougher enforcers, even during his time.

Not tough? Are you nuts? Most of the guys on here (not all obviously) were just bullies who would pick on guys who couldn't take them; Neil would go with anyone

SotasicA

Aug 25, 2014
Not tough? Are you nuts? Most of the guys on here (not all obviously) were just bullies who would pick on guys who couldn't take them; Neil would go with anyone

I didn't say he wasn't tough. He was a decent, middleweight, middle of the pack fighter. Just not elite.

Tim Vezina Thomas

Jun 4, 2009
Think we need more clarity here. John Scott was so large that he could beat up almost anybody but he couldn't actually do the whole "hockey" thing.

Chris Neil was a legit 3rd/4th liner for most of his career and played the enforcer role very well.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010

I like Chris Neil but I feel like I'm shitting on him in this thread because people are overrating him so much. Chris Neil was not top 10 all time, and definitely not at the very least. Lots of the guys on this list were good hockey players and a lot tougher.

Must be recency bias or people not old enough to have watched that long ago.

Literally no one has said he wasnt tough. He was nails. But your point about bullies doesnt make any sense. Most of these guys fought heavyweights their entire careers (excluding the obvious Kaletas and Tootoos etc). They were bullies who would pick on guys who couldnt take them in the sense that they were tougher than literally everyone in the league.

Neil was never the toughest guy in the NHL. He doesnt belong in this conversation

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
Bob Probert
Link Gaetz
Tony Twist
Behn Wilson
Joey Kocur
Dave Brown

Those 6 should be in the top 10 of any list.

If people put Chris Neil anywhere near the top 10, Shawn Thornton should be ahead of him, and I don't think Thornton is top 20.

Reactions: triggrman
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->