• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

ViktorBaeArvidsson

Greenville Swamp Rabbits fan lol
Feb 18, 2017
The Bible Belt of South Carolina
Now idk too many of the old time enforcers from back in the day, so please leave suggestions for any enforcers. This will be the only thread that I’ll take suggestions and add them to the list. So yeah, best enforcers of all-time woot woot. I’ll give this poll 2 days, after that, the rest will only be 1 day. :thumbu:

Wish You Were Here

Mar 14, 2015
Calgary, Alberta
I am a Flames fan, but you have to add Dave Semenko and Marty McSorley from the Oilers (1980s) .
Calgary's Tim Hunter was damn tough too.
Going further back to the 1960s, John Ferguson was an absolute beast for Montreal

82Ninety42011

Jul 2, 2011
Abbotsford BC
Dave Semenko for a stretch gave Gretzky all the confidence in world. Not too many people dared go near 99 with Dave around. However I must admit Bob Probert was probably the best ever guy was talented to boot scoring 163 career goals and 384 points over career. Probert along with Joey Kocur were the most feared duo ever that I can recall.

Last edited:

RMimagery

Jul 22, 2006
Clark Gillies was a better enforcer than most on this list. And he could play/score as well. How was he missed?

“Jethro” Gillies was part of a long line of enforcers from Saskatchewan. Gillies played for the New York Islanders and the Buffalo Sabres during his 14-year NHL career (1974-1988).
Gillies' reputation as a formidable enforcer was already solid when he entered the NHL after playing for the Regina Pats in the Canadian Junior league. He racked up an impressive 570 penalty minutes in 201 games during his time with the Pats.
Gillies earned his bones protecting Mike Bossy and Bryan Trottier during the Islanders' 1980 Stanley Cup run. He famously battered legendary Boston Bruins enforcer Terry O’Reilly…and won…several times. His ability to protect star players was critical to the Islanders' four consecutive Stanley Cups."

Here's a good list/post from 12 years ago...The Top 20 Greatest Enforcers Of All Time

Gillies and Nystrom on the same team was prob the best 1/2 enforcer punch ever.

Last edited:
Reactions: MattMartin

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Of these options, easily Chris Neil, who can legitimately skate an NHL shift on a contender. All-time John Ferguson.

Probert would turn Chris Neil into mince meat and was a better hockey player. Probert had more goals in one season in the NHL than Neil had in any seasons of junior even. Neil could play hockey for sure and wasnt a one dimensional guy but he couldnt hang with a lot of the best all time guys when it came to fighting. He was more of a light heavy weight.

Based on the poll options given here though, I dont think this poll series is going to do very well. Its early but John Scott is one vote off the lead. He was an enforcer at a time when enforcers were almost done, and he still wasnt the best of his time despite the lack of competition.

The poll is also missing Dave Brown who is often considered the second best enforcer of all time. Behn Wilson who a lot of people rank highly as well. If you start a poll about greatest enforcers and list Kaleta on it but not Dave Brown the poll wasnt well thought out lol

Reactions: I am not exposed

Mickey Marner

Jul 9, 2014
Dystopia
Probert would turn Chris Neil into mince meat and was a better hockey player. Probert had more goals in one season in the NHL than Neil had in any seasons of junior even. Neil could play hockey for sure and wasnt a one dimensional guy but he couldnt hang with a lot of the best all time guys when it came to fighting. He was more of a light heavy weight.

Based on the poll options given here though, I dont think this poll series is going to do very well. Its early but John Scott is one vote off the lead. He was an enforcer at a time when enforcers were almost done, and he still wasnt the best of his time despite the lack of competition.

The poll is also missing Dave Brown who is often considered the second best enforcer of all time. Behn Wilson who a lot of people rank highly as well. If you start a poll about greatest enforcers and list Kaleta on it but not Dave Brown the poll wasnt well thought out lol

Probert wasn't a poll option when I originally voted/posted.

Guided by Veseys

Nov 14, 2011

Neil fought everyone and I’m not sure if he ever decisively lost a fought. I used to think he wasn’t legit either but then went back and watched a multitude of his old fights and he basically won them all. Underrated fighter.

Mickey Marner

Jul 9, 2014
Dystopia
Yikes...

So a poll of best enforcer of all time was started without the basically unanimous greatest enforcer of all time lol?

Correct. Chris Neil was the bottom-most poll option when I voted. Any option below him was added afterwards.

The OP voted for John Scott if you want an idea where their head is at...

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009
where’s the monster raitis ivanans?

Los+Angeles+Kings+v+New+York+Islanders+JkXVaCd079Vx.jpg

ViktorBaeArvidsson

Feb 18, 2017

I can take out Kaleta and add Dave Brown, honestly I was just coming up with names off the top of my head. I don’t really know most enforcers back in the day, so I’m happy to take suggestions from people who know a bit more about hockey back then.

Last edited:

ViktorBaeArvidsson

Feb 18, 2017
Allright folks the list is full I can’t add any more choices, but now that we have Probert (Who I’ve never heard of since I only got into hockey in 2009 so I’m a big noob mb) thanks for the suggestions, and keep throwing them in, I’ll probably end up tossing out some enforcers I had in originally.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad