• Owen Pallett - In Conflict

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Rival Sons - Great Western Valkyrie

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Hockey Outsider

Jan 16, 2005
I've hardly listened to any new music from the 2010's (not because I think it's inherently bad, just haven't made the effort).

As I've posted in other threads, my favourite genres of music would be classic progressive rock (Yes, King Crimson, Pink Floyd, ELP, Camel, etc) and classic heavy metal and their forebearers (Black Sabbath, Iron Maiden, Slayer, Judas Priest, Led Zeppelin, etc). Given that context, does anyone have recommendations for where I should start (either for 2014 specifically, or the 2010's as a whole)?

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
Speaking of insufferable, how many condescending comments can you jam into one sentence?

For the record, I think people who confuse obscurity with quality (largely hipsters) are pretty artistically misguided themselves, not out of any ill-will but out of a overwhelming need to express a unique sensibility.

I didn't mean to offend and I never claimed obscurity as a symbol for quality, nor do I even know about many obscure bands or artists in general, so you can calm yourself down. I didn't mean to be condescending, I just meant youth (and I am a youth) that will have these kind of checkboxes that automatically makes them go nuts with 'artsy' hype (twee but not mainstream poppy melodies, tales of misunderstood and quirky love, etc.). I can see how my comment came across as condescending but it wasn't my intention. Just a funny quip from my neck of the woods in Montreal. All of this is anecdotal, but I've just always found it funny how POC largely have never been interested in that sort of dream/indie pop. I have had friends/family/acquaintances that have been into numerous scenes where you see POC heavily involved in metal, punk, mainstream pop acts, etc but that sort of aesthetic just often comes across as overwhelmingly from the type of person I described in my previous post (and I wasn't insinuating any negative connotations from that) I just thought it was funny and these bands often come from the same background (I've once made a similar comparison between the famous New England/Northeastern novelists and literary critics).

Last edited:
Reactions: NyQuil

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
I didn't mean to offend and I never claimed obscurity with quality, nor do I even know about many obscure bands or artist in general, so you can calm yourself down. I didn't mean to be condescending, I just meant youth (and I am a youth) that will have these kind of checkboxes that automatically makes them go nuts with 'artsy' hype (twee but not mainstream poppy melodies, tales of misunderstood and quirky love, etc.). I can see how my comment came across as condescending but it wasn't my intention. Just a funny quip from my neck of the woods in Montreal.

Well now I feel bad for my overreaction.

Reactions: Amerika

Pranzo Oltranzista

Oct 18, 2017
I've hardly listened to any new music from the 2010's (not because I think it's inherently bad, just haven't made the effort).

As I've posted in other threads, my favourite genres of music would be classic progressive rock (Yes, King Crimson, Pink Floyd, ELP, Camel, etc) and classic heavy metal and their forebearers (Black Sabbath, Iron Maiden, Slayer, Judas Priest, Led Zeppelin, etc). Given that context, does anyone have recommendations for where I should start (either for 2014 specifically, or the 2010's as a whole)?

From what I posted, I'd go with:

T2. Julian Casablancas + The Voidz – Tyranny
8. Le Butcherettes – Cry Is For The Flies

But not sure that's gonna work for you. I like both prog and metal - even if I'll listen to most of anything - but I'm really more inclined to more experimental or 'punkier' stuff.

Reactions: Hockey Outsider

YoSoyLalo

me reading HF
Oct 8, 2010
www.gofundme.com
I could start my posts on every poll with these words, but I feel that would be a little obnoxious, and probably a little condescending too. Good for you to have a clear opinion on what's your favorite album of the year, but please don't pretend it should be mine.
Probably condescending? A little obnoxious?

your posts make me physically cringe

Ouroboros

There is no armour against Fate
Feb 3, 2008
For my taste 2014 is arguably the best singular year for modern extreme metal since some time in the early/mid 90's. Just so many monster releases...

Teitanblood - Death [Death/Black Metal]
Dead Congregation - Promulgation Of The Fall [Death Metal]
Bekëth Nexëhmü - De Svarta Riterna [Black Metal/Ambient]
Volahn - Aq'ab'al [Black Metal]
Swallowed - Lunartierial [Death/Doom Metal]
Funereal Presence - The Archer Takes Aim [Black Metal]
Thantifaxath - Sacred White Noise [Black Metal]
Demilich - 20th Adversary Of Emptiness [Compilation] [Death Metal]
Nécropole - Atavisme... [Demo] [Black Metal]

Less non-metal stuff this year, but still a few notable things...

Else Marie Pade - Electronic Works 1958-1995 [Musique Concrète/Electroacoustic]
Jürg Frey - Komponisten-Portrait [Mondrian Ensemble] [Modern Classical/Drone]
Jun Konagaya - Travel [Post-Industrial]
cv313 - Echospace Presents: Altering Illusions ]Ambient/Dub Techno]
Morton Feldman - Feldman Edition 12 [FLUX Quartet] [Modern Classical]

Aladyyn

they praying for the death of a rockstar
Apr 6, 2015
Czech Republic
Going to have to second 1989.

HM:
Behemoth - The Satanist
Thantifaxath - Sacred White Noise (revisited this one thanks to these polls and wow is it good)
Lenka Dusilová - V Hodině Smrti
Hail Spirit Noir - Oi Magoi
Blues Pills - Blues Pills

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
Cracker - Berkely to Bakersfield
Drive By Truckers - English Oceans
Sleaford Mods - Divide and Exit
Aldous Harding - s/t
Bahamas - Bahamas is Alfie
Elbow - The Take Off and Landing of Everything
Jack White - Lazaretto
Warpaint - s/t
Damon Albarn - Everyday Robots

There’s a band called Elbow? Why not forearm?

Cas

Conversational Black Hole
Sponsor
Jun 23, 2020
I saw Thantifaxath live and I thought they were pretty good, but after five days of metal and heat I was exhausted and I've never really checked our their studio recordings. I'll have to do that.

Reactions: Violenza Domestica

WetcoastOrca

Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Yeah, not a big fan of the hostility and nose-thumbing in this thread. Just appreciate that everyone has different tastes, enjoy some of the (many) fantastic recommendations from different lists (or don't), and enjoy revisiting some of your old favourites in the interest of putting together your votes and lists. That's it!
Well said! I’m impressed by the diversity of views and how some people’s ‘weak’ years are seen as ‘strong’ years by others. While my tastes run to the 60’s, 70’s and 80’s, I’ve even discovered a few new artists that I’m listening to. Keep em coming!

Hockey Outsider

Jan 16, 2005
From what I posted, I'd go with:

T2. Julian Casablancas + The Voidz – Tyranny
8. Le Butcherettes – Cry Is For The Flies

But not sure that's gonna work for you. I like both prog and metal - even if I'll listen to most of anything - but I'm really more inclined to more experimental or 'punkier' stuff.

Thanks again for the recommendations. "Cry Is For the Flies" was enjoyable. I wouldn't say I was captivated by it, but it was solid from start to finish.

"Tyranny" is a much messier, more complex album. It didn't click with me, at least on the first listen, but it definitely deserves another one. I'd call it multi-layered, but not necessarily complex (in the way that a classic progressive rock band might be - ie three to five members who are highly skilled at their respective instruments). Not that it's a requirement, but it speaks to the need to digest it further. I usually don't like distorted vocals either (which was on both albums, but more pronounced on "Tyranny").

Reactions: Violenza Domestica

Pranzo Oltranzista

Oct 18, 2017
Thanks again for the recommendations. "Cry Is For the Flies" was enjoyable. I wouldn't say I was captivated by it, but it was solid from start to finish.

"Tyranny" is a much messier, more complex album. It didn't click with me, at least on the first listen, but it definitely deserves another one. I'd call it multi-layered, but not necessarily complex (in the way that a classic progressive rock band might be - ie three to five members who are highly skilled at their respective instruments). Not that it's a requirement, but it speaks to the need to digest it further. I usually don't like distorted vocals either (which was on both albums, but more pronounced on "Tyranny").

Since you brought metal up, I thought the messier vocals would be a plus.

Going out of the 2014 list, ["three to five members who are highly skilled at their respective instruments" + metal] = Fantômas, might also want to check out Secret Chiefs 3. Oh and I guess the natural more contemporary thing to like for a prog fan would be math rock, check out Battles' Mirrored, probably my favorite album of the genre (just posted it in another thread too).

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
@Mescaleroman Thank you for the Warpaint mention! Love that band. The first two albums were great. Album #3 decent but too slick.

One album that should be on here: Antathema-Distant Satellites. Great prog rock album.

Maybe it's because I'm older but this was one of those years where I don't automatically associate an album with it, I'd have to go to Google, as opposed to like 1991, 1989, 1981, 1972 where it's very obvious what was going on in music then.

I'm sure there was some good underground metal on Relapse Records or from the Colin Marston family tree/production I was into this year, but other than like Piñata by Freddie Gibbs and Madlib, I'm having a tough time finding new releases I really enjoyed that had any staying power that year. The Blonde Redhead and 311 albums were fine, but everything else is either from like a year or two before or after.

This is the year where Meghan Trainor had her 15 minutes of fame so there you go.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad