Music: Best Albums of the Year Series: 1989

Select your 10 (or fewer) favourite albums of 1989

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Pranzo Oltranzista

Oct 18, 2017
My favourite album of the year is nothing sexy or surprising

I'm surprised nobody said anything about my top-5. Genocide Organ has been linked to white supremacist crap - it's never been part of their discourse, but they did play with the ambiguity and used it to bring intentionality and meaning into their themes.

The René Lussier album is politically charged, and pretty ambiguous too. It's mainly about the survival of the French language in Quebec, but it's slashed by a brutal intervention by Richard Desjardins reminding that we got rid of a culture to impose our own, be it French or English.

Saturated Fats

This is water
Jan 24, 2007
Vancouver/Edinburgh
I'm surprised nobody said anything about my top-5. Genocide Organ has been linked to white supremacist crap - it's never been part of their discourse, but they did play with the ambiguity and used it to bring intentionality and meaning into their themes.

The René Lussier album is politically charged, and pretty ambiguous too. It's mainly about the survival of the French language in Quebec, but it's slashed by a brutal intervention by Richard Desjardins reminding that we got rid of a culture to impose our own, be it French or English.
To be honest, friend, I'd only heard of the Cardiacs from your top-5. I listened to a bit of Barkmarket, didn't really tickle my fancy. I always try and listen to one or two of your top-ranked takes, as I tend to be unfamiliar with most of 'em.

Reactions: plank

Pranzo Oltranzista

Oct 18, 2017
To be honest, friend, I'd only heard of the Cardiacs from your top-5. I listened to a bit of Barkmarket, didn't really tickle my fancy. I always try and listen to one or two of your top-ranked takes, as I tend to be unfamiliar with most of 'em.

I didn't expect anybody to know about René Lussier, who's pretty much only known to the artsier parts of Quebec. I think Barkmarket and Genocide Organ have had somewhat of a following/reputation, but maybe have fallen into oblivion since. Color me suprised that you didn't like Barkmarket, I think it's accessible and 10x better than the albums now in the lead in the poll, but I'm still glad you tried your ears at it! I too always try to pick up some of the stuff I don't know from these threads.

Reactions: plank

Eisen

Sep 30, 2009
Duesseldorf
My favourite album of the year is nothing sexy or surprising - it's Doolittle. It's just such a spectacular album, from front-to-back, and is so much of what alternative sound has evolved to become in the three decades (!) since. The entire album is driven by Black's genius songwriting formula, Deal's effervescent bass grooves and alien voice, and David Lovering's jazz-heavy, whip-tight drum beats. Shout out to Joey Santiago, too. The only song on the album that I don't consider top-tier is 'Crackity Jones'. The rest holds up as perfection. This performance of 'Tame' is one of my favourite videos on Youtube. To be in that crowd!

My top 10

Pixies - Doolittle
De La Soul - Three Feet High and Rising <---- shout out to one of the greatest hip-hop albums ever written

NoMeansNo - Wrong
Julee Cruise - Floating Into the Night
Galaxie 500 - On Fire
The Blue Nile - Hats
Lou Reed - New York

Nirvana - Bleach
The Stone Roses - The Stone Roses
New Model Army - Thunder and Consolation

I'm just happy to see another New Model Army fan.

Reactions: Saturated Fats

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad