Music: Best Albums of 2019

Thucydides

Dec 24, 2009
New Lana Del Ray is out, received a 9.4/10 from Pitchfork, and many other glowing reviews . Going to have to give this a listen.

Edit: 3/4 of the way through. I think the hype was worth it. I didn’t think anyone would beat out Weyes Blood for my favourite album of the year, especially not Lana Del Ray of all people, but this album is unreal. She reminds me of Father John Misty a bit lyrically here. Musically I haven’t been bored once, even on a 10 minute track that breaks down into psychedelic deliciousness.

I took Lana Del Ray seriously from her first single “Video Games” years ago, but nothing since really caught my ear , and I didn’t give any of her albums a listen. Might have to go back and listen now.

Norman Rockwell might go down as one of the best albums of the last few years .

Would definitely recommend.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bruins4Lifer

Hammettf2b

oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg
Jul 9, 2012
So California
New Lana Del Ray is out, received a 9.4/10 from Pitchfork, and many other glowing reviews . Going to have to give this a listen.

Edit: 3/4 of the way through. I think the hype was worth it. I didn’t think anyone would beat out Weyes Blood for my favourite album of the year, especially not Lana Del Ray of all people, but this album is unreal. She reminds me of Father John Misty a bit lyrically here. Musically I haven’t been bored once, even on a 10 minute track that breaks down into psychedelic deliciousness.

I took Lana Del Ray seriously from her first single “Video Games” years ago, but nothing since really caught my ear , and I didn’t give any of her albums a listen. Might have to go back and listen now.

Came into this thread to recommend this album. Such a great listen.

Reactions: stingo

Bruins4Lifer

Jun 28, 2006
Regina, SK

Great album for sure. Blows away anything she's done since Ultraviolence. Will need a few more listens before I call it better than Born to Die/Paradise.

Also like the FJM comparison. Big fan of his too.

Reactions: stingo

Saturated Fats

This is water
Jan 24, 2007
Vancouver/Edinburgh
So glad to see the love for Norman F*ing Rockwell in here. It's absolutely fantastic, blows anything I've heard from her out of the water. It's top-shelf dream pop. She sings like she's walked the earth for a thousand years.

My favourites of the year thusfar:

Weyes Blood - Titanic Rising
Falls of Rauros - Patterns in Mythology
Lana del Rey - Norman F*ing Rockwell
black midi - Schlagenheim
Sunn O))) - Life Metal
slowthai - Nothing Great About Britain

Last edited:
Reactions: halincandenza

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
Men I Trust - Oncle Jazz

Band from Montreal. Really chill vibes. Soft vocals, very bass driven.

I really liked their sound when I first heard them (Tailwhip is the first song I heard), but it's kind of become diminishing returns for me. Their sound/style/aesthetic is just too similar song to song for me, at least of the ones I've heard.

Thucydides

Dec 24, 2009
Men I Trust - Oncle Jazz

Men I Trust - Oncle Jazz

I’m about halfway through the album - it’s long! 24 songs and over an hour run time! First impressions are good. 7-7.5/10

Anyone listen to the new Sandy Alex G album , house of sugar ? The last four songs are great. Very experimental on some tracks, but it works.

8.5/10 on that one for me.

plank

Aug 26, 2008
Long Dark Blues
One Eleven Heavy - Desire Path 9/20/19
One Eleven Heavy – Raven Sings The Blues
"They came together to exhume something cosmic buried in the delta soil and let it fly once again, finding themselves lost in the segue symbols on setlists until they emerged infused with Little Feat, late ‘70s Neil Young, New Riders, The Dead, The Burritos and other choogle-chapped visions of Southern and Western rock that refused not to ramble."

TheDawnOfANewTage

Dahlin, it’ll all be fine
Dec 17, 2018
Anyone spinning Bon Iver? New album got good reviews but left me kinda.. meh. Gotta re-listen, but 22, A Million beats it by far to my mind.

Twilight Sad, Tool, and new Blink 182 I gotta check out. Lana too, first time stumbling into this part of HF :laugh:

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013

I gave it a listen and didn't really like it. Maybe I'll have to go back and do another.

TheDawnOfANewTage

Dahlin, it’ll all be fine
Dec 17, 2018
Blink 182 is sick. Not album of the year, but it's kinda amazing that the first band I really listened to and understood is still making shit I can feel 20 years later.

Did someone call Lana Del Rey a female Father John Misty or am I making that up? Either way, feels an apt comparison. Good god that first track is just a kick in the teeth, I love it.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
I’m about halfway through the album - it’s long! 24 songs and over an hour run time! First impressions are good. 7-7.5/10

Anyone listen to the new Sandy Alex G album , house of sugar ? The last four songs are great. Very experimental on some tracks, but it works.

8.5/10 on that one for me.
Not really digging House of Sugar as a whole album, but that single 'Southern Sky' is a gem. Can't really put my finger on who it reminds me of.

Favorite tunes from that MIT album are definitely 'Pines', which is very reminiscent of the early Zero 7 albums, and 'Air' which is one of the few tracks that matched that upbeat vibe they had on 'Tailwhip'.

As an album I think Oncle Jazz just bit off too much to have a good flow. 24 tracks is a lot. But there are plenty of great songs there.

Last edited:

Peter Zezel

Sep 12, 2003
Not really digging House of Sugar as a whole album, but that single 'Southern Sky' is a gem. Can't really put my finger on who it reminds me of.

Favorite tunes from that MIT album are definitely 'Pines', which is very reminiscent of the early Zero 7 albums, and 'Air' which is one of the few tracks that matched that upbeat vibe the had on 'Tailwhip'.

As an album I think Oncle Jazz just bit off too much to have a good flow. 24 tracks is a lot. But there are plenty of great songs there.
Someone told me Sandy Alex G reminds them of Elliott Smith.

Reactions: belair

plank

Aug 26, 2008
Long Dark Blues
Big day for Jeff Tweedy, Wilco releases it's 11th studio album.

and Kacy & Clayton release Carrying On(produced by Tweedy)

Thucydides

Dec 24, 2009
Anyone listen to the new angel Olsen ? Her best yet in my opinion. That closing track “chance” . Wow what a song

Reactions: Trap Jesus

Hostile Offer

Artist formerly known as Eagle Peninsula
Jun 17, 2017
Finland
Two huge albums released in these last few weeks ("A Dawn to Fear" by Cult of Luna and "Reverie of the Revolving Diamond" by Seizures), this year is upping its game big time towards the end. Massive hype for the new Have a Nice Life album as well (scheduled release in Nov), the singles have been terrific.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad