Music: Best Albums of 2019

Mikeaveli

Sep 25, 2013
Edmonton, AB
I wasn't going to comment because it's such a touchy subject for those that do like modern music, but I definitely feel as though the bar appears to have gotten so low that even what's considered the best stuff (even though I can grasp it enough to agree that it's better than the stuff that's straight up awful) is not anything that I find worth listening to compared to the stuff that I do like listening to, personally. Every time I decide to take a deep dive into what's revered in modern music these days, I've come out of it pretty much completely empty handed (like, literally, my success rate is pretty close to zero, unless I'm forgetting something). It's why I don't post in these threads or even feel much motivation to read through them anymore. I don't get it, and I find it very frustrating.

I would never equate that to the idea that there's no talent, but in practice and on a purely selfish level, the result may as well be that for me.

People say things like "There's still great music, you just have to dig for it", but for me, it seems to be buried so deep that I'm completely unable to find it.

I agree that hip hop and electronic music shows the most promise when it comes to registering as anything for me, and that that mostly feels like remnants of the 90s-00s that aren't quite as good.

--

Actually, since we're on the subject and our favorites seem to have a bit of overlap with the older stuff, I'm curious, what would you consider the standouts from 2010s that are comparable to those, if there are any? Not just things that can be considered enjoyable/talented, but...... have there been any arguable masterpieces released in the past ten years for you?
Honestly, no single album from this decade truly compares to my favourites from the past. I wouldn't say any album released in the 2010s is a 10/10 mind-blowing masterpiece. That being said, these records are still great and very much worth listening to imo.

Tim Hecker - Ravedeath, 1972
Danny Brown - Atrocity Exhibition
Aphex Twin - Collapse EP
Broadcast and The Focus Group - Broadcast And The Focus Group Investigate Witch Cults of the Radio Age (released in 2009 but close enough)

It's almost funny to me how the past few years have been amazing for me in terms of discovering new music that I love yet almost none of that music was released during that time.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Honestly, no single album from this decade truly compares to my favourites from the past. I wouldn't say any album released in the 2010s is a 10/10 mind-blowing masterpiece. That being said, these records are still great and very much worth listening to imo.

Tim Hecker - Ravedeath, 1972
Danny Brown - Atrocity Exhibition
Aphex Twin - Collapse EP
Broadcast and The Focus Group - Broadcast And The Focus Group Investigate Witch Cults of the Radio Age (released in 2009 but close enough)

It's almost funny to me how the past few years have been amazing for me in terms of discovering new music that I love yet almost none of that music was released during that time.
Yeah, that sounds about right to me-- I'll check these out, thanks. Only familiar with the Tim Hecker one.

Reactions: Mikey 48

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
Yeah, that sounds about right to me-- I'll check these out, thanks. Only familiar with the Tim Hecker one.

I could see you maaaaaaaaybe liking Ariel Pink but I'm not too sure. He's got a little bit of Eno's early career goofy spirit that you may like but I don't know if it'll click musically. I really liked the album Pom Pom.

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
I could see you maaaaaaaaybe liking Ariel Pink but I'm not too sure. He's got a little bit of Eno's early career goofy spirit that you may like but I don't know if it'll click musically. I really liked the album Pom Pom.
Ariel Pink is awesome and doesn't get the credit he deserves. Super diverse in terms of the range of pop influences he draws from. If you like pop music, any form of it throughout the years, I'm sure there's something from Ariel Pink's discography that you'll like.

60s

70s

Ariel Pink's Haunted Graffiti - Round and Round

Ariel Pink - Time To Live [Official Audio]

80s

Ariel Pink - Lipstick

Ariel Pink - Feels Like Heaven (Official Music Video)

Reactions: stingo

Thucydides

Dec 24, 2009
Weyes Blood releases a new single, “every day” from her upcoming album “Titanic Rising” due out April 5th.

Silentjury

Apr 19, 2014

I'm intrigued. For some reason the whole mask thing is a bit of a put off.

This is the album of the year for me so far, and I have a hard time believing anything will top it. Such an intriguing mix of Morrissey's isolation and Johnny Cash's bravado.

Don't mind the mask but I am not one to dwell on an artist's image too much. View it as nothing more than a conversation starter for an artist trying to gain the attention in a vast pool of indie artists.

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
This is the album of the year for me so far, and I have a hard time believing anything will top it. Such an intriguing mix of Morrissey's isolation and Johnny Cash's bravado.

Don't mind the mask but I am not one to dwell on an artist's image too much. View it as nothing more than a conversation starter for an artist trying to gain the attention in a vast pool of indie artists.
It's quite good although I'm not sure if it lives up to how awesome Dead of Night is. Roses are falling is excellent too.

plank

Aug 26, 2008
Long Dark Blues
Garcia Peoples had one of my favorite albums(Cosmic Cash) last year, they released another album(Natural Facts) yesterday. Doesn't quite rock as much as the last but still sounds pretty sweet.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
This my first time going through the thread, and I think I've been most impressed by what Gary Clark, Jr. has put out.

The Orville Peck stuff is interesting, too.

Let’s be reality.

The music that’s been put out this year is a steaming pile of crap across the board. There’s no talent in music today.

You have access to the Internet and this is your conclusion? It's the Internet. You can't hate all of it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->