Music: Best album of 2018

Thucydides

Dec 24, 2009
Lots to look forward to still - Kurt Vile, Julia Holter and hopefully Vampire Weekend here.

The Let’s Eat Grandma album is really good, too.

Been a half decent year so far.

Edit - new Danny Brown as well.

Thucydides

Dec 24, 2009
Yves Tumor - Safe in the hands of love is a cool album, kind of a noisier panda bear , but with the same amount of catchiness - at least on some tracks - Honesty, Noid, & Lifetime.

Also have the new Low album downloaded for a long drive tomorrow morning. Hearing lots of good about that one .

H3ckt1k

Jan 9, 2015
The silver scream - Ice nine kills

Perfection (aside from one song, although even that I don't dislike that much)

Reactions: HFBCommenter

Nalens Oga

Jan 5, 2010
Canada
End of August plus September were really good for rock. The Joy Formidable, Vennart, Metric, f***in Suede, Juanita Stein, and Interpol (also a Kooks and The Coral album but those weren't good).

Nothing special yet though outside of the two Aussie bands from earlier in the year I mentioned.

God King Fudge

Championship Swag
Oct 13, 2017
So many really good Synthwave albums out this year. Dance with the Dead, Timecop1983, The Midnight, Gunship, Meteor, Hollywood Burns. Be really surprised if a couple of these don't end up making my top 10 at the end of the year.

Peter Zezel

Sep 12, 2003
Lots to look forward to still - Kurt Vile, Julia Holter and hopefully Vampire Weekend here.

The Let’s Eat Grandma album is really good, too.

Been a half decent year so far.

Edit - new Danny Brown as well.
I liked the Let’s Eat Grandma album but it feels like it has a shelf life. I’ll have to check out Danny Brown’s newest. I have fallen behind on his releases.

I listened to Adrianne Lenker from Big Thief’s new album abysskiss. Not sure if it’s album of the year material but I like it so far.

Reactions: stingo

Tasty Biscuits

with fancy sauce
Aug 8, 2011
Pittsburgh
For anyone looking for more quality acoustic singer-songwriter stuff (or who went through a break-up recently, haha), I've really enjoyed Darren Jessee's solo debut "The Jane, Room 217." Intimate, heartfelt stuff -- great headphones music.

Last edited:

frisco

Some people claim that there's a woman to blame...
Sep 14, 2017
Northern Hemisphere
I'm in my 40's and not really into new bands. That being said, the best albums I've heard this year are "The Snake King" by Rick Springfield and "Traces" by Steve Perry.

My Best-Carey

Thucydides

Dec 24, 2009
anna_st_louis.jpg

Anna St. Louis - if only there was a river (country/folk)

Not best album of the year, but one to watch out for. If you like chilled out folk music , this is great. Lots of talent and a few good gems here.

7/10

davemess

Apr 9, 2003
Scotland
Richard Thompsons' new album 13 Rivers is top notch, little more dark and brooding than recent albums and all the better for it.
prpcd150-500px-300x300.jpg

Reactions: plank

plank

Aug 26, 2008
Long Dark Blues
anna_st_louis.jpg

Anna St. Louis - if only there was a river (country/folk)

Not best album of the year, but one to watch out for. If you like chilled out folk music , this is great. Lots of talent and a few good gems here.

7/10

IMO nobody is doing country/folk these days as good as Courtney Marie Andrews.

From "May Your Kindness Remain"(2018)

Thucydides

Dec 24, 2009
IMO nobody is doing country/folk these days as good as Courtney Marie Andrews.

From "May Your Kindness Remain"(2018)

Thanks again. Listened to this this morning. What a voice. I’m a fan.

Have you ever listened to Kacey Musgraves? Her last album “golden hour” was excellent.

Reactions: valeriammm

plank

Aug 26, 2008
Long Dark Blues
Thanks again. Listened to this this morning. What a voice. I’m a fan.

Have you ever listened to Kacey Musgraves? Her last album “golden hour” was excellent.

A few months ago I checked out a couple of her songs from that album and remember not being interested, but I like the song you posted so I might have to try again. The two songs I listened to from Anna St. Louis were decent, I dig the album cover:nod:

God King Fudge

Championship Swag
Oct 13, 2017
Some releases I hadn't heard really kind of threw my list for a loop this year.

Last edited:

plank

Aug 26, 2008
Long Dark Blues
I think I've picked up all the albums I'm going to for the year. So, back by popular demand, I present the top 20 countdown for 2018!

The Milk Carton Kids - All the Things That I Did and All the Things I Didn't Do

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->