Music: Best album of 2018

Skip Bayless

The Skip Bayless Show
Aug 28, 2014
Emilie Nicolas just released her new album "Tranquille Emilie". Very interesting production and musicality on this record. This track gave me goosebumps, specially the outro.

Reactions: stingo

Thucydides

Dec 24, 2009
As someone who was not into the Arctic Monkeys before, I’m really loving their new record. Jammy, and dreamy. One of my surprise favourites from the year. Definitely top 5.

Chandrashekhar Limit

From the runaway slave to a modern day king.
Apr 2, 2009
Milky Way
Nasir by Nas and Kanye for me so far.

The other Kanye project KSG is a close second. A fresh sound done very well.

Overall, this is a great year for music so it's not an easy year to pick :P

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
New Paul McCartney tracks released last Wednesday (and new album, Egypt Station, due on Sept. 7).

"Come On To Me" is what I'd call a prototypical McCartney Pop-Rocker. It's catchy, bouncy, poppy, snappy, etc. Lyrics aren't anything to write home about, song isn't exactly an instant-class or anything. It's "safe" stuff for him. Something that I'd say just about every album of his has (that commercially viable, radio-friendly song).

"I Don't Know" is the better of the two tracks, in my opinion. It sounds like a continuation of the musical era he started with Chaos and Creation in the Backyard. In fact to me it plays like it could fit perfectly on that record, or Memory Almost Full/Electric Argument (as The Fireman)/NEW. It's just a continuation of him being a bit more deeper/honest and introspective (again, in my opinion). It does a much better job of getting me ready to hear the rest of the album.

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
Picked up the new NIN album Bad Witch on Friday and I am liking it. It was supposed to be the third of 3 EPs released in 2016, 17 and 18 but it ended up being an LP.

Right from the first song Shit Mirror it is different than previous NIN releases. I was so use to only ever hearing Trent sing but the first song starts off with Atticus Ross on vocals.

Well worth the listen.

Last edited:

Kensu

Nov 1, 2011
New York City
SOPHIE - Oil of Every Pearl's Un-Insides
KIDS SEE GHOSTS - KIDS SEE GHOSTS
DJ Koze - knock knock

I think that's the order I have it right now for myself.

Tapu Coco

Jan 23, 2013
WNY
I had some serious reservations about Bon Voyage after hearing the singles, but after listening to it a bit, I absolutely love it. It has the whimsical quality that you expect from The Avalanches, but still has roots in that 60’s guitar. The second half of Quand Les Larmes D’un... is epic.

Don’t think I’ll ever get behind Desert Horse, though; that’s a mess.

void

Jan 5, 2006
Fans of James Blake should really check this out:

Similar vibe, similar voice, similar everything. Really nice album.

plank

Aug 26, 2008
Long Dark Blues
My top 10 albums, so far.

1. Erika Wennerstrom - Sweet Unknown
2. The Nude Party - The Nude Party
3. Courtney Marie Andrews - May Your Kindness Remain
4. John Prine - The Tree of Forgiveness
5. Roger Daltrey - As Long as I Have You
6. Damien Jurado - The Horizon Just Laughed
7. Richmond Fontaine - Don't Skip Out On Me
8. First Aid Kit - Ruins
9. Sarah Shook & The Disarmers - Years
10 Wussy - What Heaven is Like

void

Jan 5, 2006
Family Portrait by Ross from Friends is my electronic album of the year so far.

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
I really like that Turnstile album Time and Space. I know traditional rock isn't "cool" anymore (I just barfed by writing that) but in the era of "lit" hip hop and indie rock is majorly accepted, there needs to be some sort of energy and aggression in music and cause for kids to start playing. That album is accessible, fun, and accomplishes that.

Reactions: Cerebral

Mikeaveli

Sep 25, 2013
Edmonton, AB

What a mind blowing track and music video. Easily my favourite song of the year so far (although this is only the case because MGMT's "Little Dark Age" was technically released last year). 20+ years after his "peak" RDJ is proving he's still got it.

This new Aphex Twin EP should be great.

Nalens Oga

Jan 5, 2010
Canada
New 1975 is gonna be the let down of the year.

What garbage are these singles?

I assumed all albums by that band are bad based on reviews no? 2.58 and 2.67/5 for the last two on RateYourMusic. They seem to be marketed towards teenagers who wanna listen to rock without it being rock. The UK has quite a few pop rock bands like this that they're promoting nowadays, those guys, Pale Waves, Blossoms, Sundara Karma, etc. The rest are actual indie bands like Wolf Alice or Yak or whatever.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
I assumed all albums by that band are bad based on reviews no? 2.58 and 2.67/5 for the last two on RateYourMusic. They seem to be marketed towards teenagers who wanna listen to rock without it being rock. The UK has quite a few pop rock bands like this that they're promoting nowadays, those guys, Pale Waves, Blossoms, Sundara Karma, etc. The rest are actual indie bands like Wolf Alice or Yak or whatever.

They are actually pretty good but those albums are always going to get bad reviews because there's so much material and you've gotta move through some stinkers to get to the jams.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad