Music: Best album of 2018

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
New Unknown Mortal Orchestra's album is dropping this week. Their last couple albums have been solid tapping into some vintage sounds. This is one of the singles...

Mikeaveli

Sep 25, 2013
Edmonton, AB
I haven't been keeping up with too many new releases but here's what I've liked so far this year.

8/10:
The Voidz - Virtue
Mount Eerie - Now Only
A.A.L. (Against All Logic) - 2012-2017

7/10:
MGMT - Little Dark Age (could rise a lot if the later tracks grow on me)
PRhyme - PRhyme 2
Jericho Jackson - Khrysis & Elzhi Are Jericho Jackson

6/10:
CZARFACE & MF DOOM - Czarface Meets Metal Face

Mach85

Mar 14, 2013
I haven't been keeping up with too many new releases but here's what I've liked so far this year.

8/10:
The Voidz - Virtue
Mount Eerie - Now Only
A.A.L. (Against All Logic) - 2012-2017

7/10:
MGMT - Little Dark Age (could rise a lot if the later tracks grow on me)
PRhyme - PRhyme 2
Jericho Jackson - Khrysis & Elzhi Are Jericho Jackson

6/10:
CZARFACE & MF DOOM - Czarface Meets Metal Face

What tracks would you recommend on this? I've only heard Flirt so far and I dug it. Preem killed the production.

MJG

Sep 18, 2007
Somewhere
Why does this sound so familiar? The way he delivers the first verse sounds exactly like another song but I can't place it. I want to say Modest Mouse for some reason.

Young Fathers often gives me TV on the Radio vibes. Not sure if that's what you're hearing.

Either way, loving their new stuff.

Reactions: Emily

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
4eda8f4b224e046d93ed1d6df8d2df98.png

void

Jan 5, 2006
Frances' voice might not be for everyone but this is such a great album. The Fox in Motion has to be one of my favorite tracks of the year so far.

Reactions: stingo

shpongle falls

Ass Möde
Oct 1, 2014
The Night Train
Cool to see others here dig Meoldy's Echo Chamber, looking forward to her new album.

Corrosion Of Conformity has been one of my all time favorite bands for forever, so I was super stoked that they FINALLY put out a new album with Pepper back in the band this year. It's a solid album and worth a listen.

Last edited:

Mikeaveli

Sep 25, 2013
Edmonton, AB
What tracks would you recommend on this? I've only heard Flirt so far and I dug it. Preem killed the production.
Black History is a favourite but that's been out for almost 2 years now. 1 of the Hardest and Loved Ones are nice too. Overall a good album but a big step down from their debut imo. That was a way more concise album and every feature was a hit while there are a few mediocre ones on here.

Reactions: Mach85

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
Really impressed with Superorganism's self-titled debut. One of the catchiest albums I've heard in a long time. There's just so much going on with the instrumentation and samples, but it all works, and it's very nicely undercut by the deadpan vocals.

Reactions: belair

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
Young Fathers often gives me TV on the Radio vibes. Not sure if that's what you're hearing.

Either way, loving their new stuff.
It's literally just the vocal melody that I'm talking about. It's actually driving me nuts right now lol. Either way I like the song.

izlez

We need more toe-drags/60
Feb 28, 2012
Frances' voice might not be for everyone but this is such a great album. The Fox in Motion has to be one of my favorite tracks of the year so far.

I'm still not sure what to think about this. It seems to be slowly growing on me.

More people should know about this band though

GlassesJacketShirt

Aug 4, 2010
Sherbrooke
From what I've heard from Chvrches' new tracks, their sound is changing from synthpop and indiewave to generic, flavorless pop. This album sounds like an incoming dud, unfortunately. :(

Reactions: stingo

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
From what I've heard from Chvrches' new tracks, their sound is changing from synthpop and indiewave to generic, flavorless pop. This album sounds like an incoming dud, unfortunately. :(

I've really liked 3 of 4, the latest one wasn't much but whatever.

It's a lot better than their last album thus far. Nothing they do will beat their debut album.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Really impressed with Superorganism's self-titled debut. One of the catchiest albums I've heard in a long time. There's just so much going on with the instrumentation and samples, but it all works, and it's very nicely undercut by the deadpan vocals.

I see Pitchfork made the comparison for me, but it reminds me of The Go! Team from the early '00s. Tons of samples, super poppy and layered vocals. The video itself really helps capture that collage of sound. I'll definitely have to check them out.

GlassesJacketShirt

Aug 4, 2010
Sherbrooke

It's a lot better than their last album thus far. Nothing they do will beat their debut album.

Only track I've somewhat liked is probably Never Say Die, despite the awful attempt of a chorus. It sounds good, just has lazy lyricism.

Miracle is the worst for me. Can't say I like anything about it.

And I thought Every Open Eye > TBOWYB :D

2advanced4u

Jun 15, 2016
My favourites this year so far:

1. The Voidz - Virtue, 9/10
2. Car Seat Headrest - Twin Fantasy, 9/10
3. Jack White - Boarding House Reach, 9/10
4. MGMT - Little Dark Age, 8/10
5. CZARFACE & MF Doom, 7/10

looking forward to: Parquet Courts, Courtney Barnett, Death Grips, Post Malone, Janelle Monae, Arctic Monkeys, etc

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002

Philadelphia's own. This is the best album of the year thus far. Actually wrote a short review for this album, so it was more fun to dive deeper into it.

Reactions: Emily

WeThreeKings

Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
I really liked 'Eat the Elephant' from APC, it obviously doesn't touch Mers De Noms, and Thirteenth Step is better.. but for such a long lay-off between albums, I really liked a lot of the material, definitely with a different sound than previous albums.

The only thing I didn't like was, they had released By and Down on a previous release.. with Josh Freese on drums. They re-recorded it for this album and Jeff Freidl did his interpretation. It really amplified the talent gap between Freese and Freidl and left me wondering how much better Eat the Elephant would have been if Freese was there. That gets compounded with some flares of violin on a few track which again makes me wonder how better it would have been with Paz Lechantin back on bass and orchestrating.

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
I really liked 'Eat the Elephant' from APC, it obviously doesn't touch Mers De Noms, and Thirteenth Step is better.. but for such a long lay-off between albums, I really liked a lot of the material, definitely with a different sound than previous albums.

The only thing I didn't like was, they had released By and Down on a previous release.. with Josh Freese on drums. They re-recorded it for this album and Jeff Freidl did his interpretation. It really amplified the talent gap between Freese and Freidl and left me wondering how much better Eat the Elephant would have been if Freese was there. That gets compounded with some flares of violin on a few track which again makes me wonder how better it would have been with Paz Lechantin back on bass and orchestrating.

I am also loving it, the content of the lyrics fit so well into today's world. Now I just can't wait until Tool is done and released. Still in studio from what I last read.

Reactions: WeThreeKings

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002

Only track I've somewhat liked is probably Never Say Die, despite the awful attempt of a chorus. It sounds good, just has lazy lyricism.

Miracle is the worst for me. Can't say I like anything about it.

And I thought Every Open Eye > TBOWYB :D

I am greatly concerned, and I've spent a good amount of time trying to convince myself that I'm impressed and not quite getting there. They talked about it being the most pop album they've done. Very often, that's a bridge too far. My Enemy and Get Out are fine, nothing spectacular. And that's probably the concern because you always want your favorite band to blow you away. Will reserve judgement for the full album of course. But we've heard 4 songs, odds are against them not having brought their best to the table. A lot of repeating lyrics - which it seems they're putting a lot of the focus of this into, a somewhat, not completely, commercial-radio-sounding aesthetic.

WeThreeKings

Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
I am also loving it, the content of the lyrics fit so well into today's world. Now I just can't wait until Tool is done and released. Still in studio from what I last read.

I'm always curious with people who like the same bands as me, how they rank each song on the album.. this would be my ranking:

Feathers
Eat the Elephant
Disillusioned
TalkTalk
So Long and Thanks for all the Fish
By and Down the River
Get the Lead Out
The Doomed
Delicious
The Contrarian
DLB
Hourglass

izlez

We need more toe-drags/60
Feb 28, 2012

OK, this grew on me. It's fantastic.

But I don't know how anyone brings up a specific track other than Not Abel. That song is frickin amazing.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad