Music: Best album of 2018

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
@WeThreeKings

There is a ? after it in the first shot of the video. So take it with a grain of salt and why I wrote rumored.

Edit: Ohhh and I think he got it from a Kerrang! ariticle.

Cover of said issue

FOB_Newissue_4ebf62eb0b1d8fb7d4a9dd8bb04f2b32.gif

Last edited:

Desdichado93

Jan 7, 2012
Sweden
I hope that Nathaniel Rateliff & the Nightsweats new album will be good.
I also hope that Avantasia and Baskery releases new albums this year.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
@WeThreeKings

There is a ? after it in the first shot of the video. So take it with a grain of salt and why I wrote rumored.

Edit: Ohhh and I think he got it from a Kerrang! ariticle.

Cover of said issue

Cheers.

I'm excited. I saw both them and APC live in Montreal last year.

The new version of Opiate is incredible and I really like the snippet of Descending.

Ready for Danny Carey to blow away all my drumming progress from 10,000 Days to present.

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
Cheers.

I'm excited. I saw both them and APC live in Montreal last year.

The new version of Opiate is incredible and I really like the snippet of Descending.

Ready for Danny Carey to blow away all my drumming progress from 10,000 Days to present.

So if you are a drummer and like Danny you must also be excited for his new super-group coming out in February?

Legend of the Seagullmen is a genre-destroying supergroup featuring Danny Carey of Tool, Brent Hinds of Mastodon, director Jimmy Hayward (Jonah Hex, Horton Hears A Who) on guitar, bassist Pete Griffin of Zappa Plays Zappa and Dethlok, lead singer and visionary David "The Doctor" Dreyer, synth player Chris DiGiovanni and guitarist Tim Dawson.

WeThreeKings

Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
So if you are a drummer and like Danny you must also be excited for his new super-group coming out in February?

Legend of the Seagullmen is a genre-destroying supergroup featuring Danny Carey of Tool, Brent Hinds of Mastodon, director Jimmy Hayward (Jonah Hex, Horton Hears A Who) on guitar, bassist Pete Griffin of Zappa Plays Zappa and Dethlok, lead singer and visionary David "The Doctor" Dreyer, synth player Chris DiGiovanni and guitarist Tim Dawson.

Super groups tend to suck but I'll listen to anything with Dany. He's my favorite drummer of all time.

void

Jan 5, 2006
Really looking forward to the new Preoccupations aka Viet Cong album. First single from the album is pretty f***ing nuts.

Last edited:
Reactions: stingo

Thucydides

Dec 24, 2009
I'm not usually into pop music , but that Camila Cabello girl has a couple good tracks on her new album. The chorus for "never be the same" is catchy.

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ
Nothing really good so far yet this year - what were some of the best albums of 2017? For me, it would have to be Manchester Orchestra's A Black Mile to the Surface.

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
New Satriani album is really good. It was him/Chad Smith (RHCP)/Glenn Hughes (Deep Puprle/Black Country Communion) as a trio. Worked very well.

New Corrosion of Conformity was decent.

There's a reggae singer named Hollie Cook who is excellent. I've known of her for about six years. Her father was the drummer in the Sex Pistols, she was in the reformed Slits in 2010. Haven't heard her new album yet but it's getting universal praise. Produced by Youth from Killing Joke/Firemen, and Jah Wobble/Keith Levene are on it.

Thucydides

Dec 24, 2009
War on drugs won the Grammy for best rock album from last years "a deeper understanding ".

Great album.

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
2017 was a great year for music, lots of good albums released , and from the early looks of it, 2018 should be another good year with some big albums dropping and hopefully a few surprises . Some notable album releases to look for :

New Vampire Weekend. Their first album without Rostam, who some say is the straw that stirs the vampire weekends drink. Still think he'll be on the album, but in a collabortive role. Think it's due out in March.

Other albums to look forward to:

Jack White, Charlie xcx, my bloody valentine, Interpol , arctic monkeys, MGMT, Chvrches, Selena Gomez, Spiritualized, the shins, tuneyards , no age, belle & Sebastian, a perfect circle, chromatics, Kanye west, my morning jacket, modest mouse, and TOOL.

Hoping for a new Sufjan Stevens album, but that might be wishful thinking .

Any other albums coming out this year you're looking forward to?

I read something on NME in December of 2017 that Ezra Koenig confirmed that Rostam will feature on the new Vampire Weekend album:

Despite officially leaving the group in January 2016, Koenig has confirmed that the multi-instrumentalist will feature on the record – which is set for release next year.

“We’re working on some songs in the exact same way we’ve always worked,” Koenig told Entertainment Weekly of his return.

“We have some stuff that we started a pretty long time ago.”

Vampire Weekend's Ezra Koenig confirms return of Rostam Batmanglij on new album

As far as other albums I'm looking forward to, you mentioned some already: Jack White, MGMT, The Shins, and Modest Mouse. On top of that word is Paul McCartney is supposed to have a new album out sometime this year, and I thought his body of work from Chaos and Creation in the Backyard through New has been quite good (though Chaos and the album under his The Fireman pseudonym, Electric Arguments were the highlights of that time period, New contained some good tracks).

Last edited:

Thucydides

Dec 24, 2009
Real quiet year so far . January had nothing of great interest come out or anything the critics have really raved for .

I did like the Hop Along song, How Simple. That album should drop in March or April.

Chvrches was decent, too. Looking forward to their album

WeThreeKings

Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
APC confirms their new album Eat the Elephant is out April 20th! Can't wait for it which will hold me over for the Tool album later in the year.

So far from what I've heard, should be a good album.

Feathers was the best I heard.
While there was a weird one, hourglass man, which is absolute Garbage.

The other releases have been good. Definitely a certain mood for the album. Although Maynard's lyrics are hit and miss in each song. TalkTalk is great but the whole "be the solution" line is a bit cringe.

frisco

Some people claim that there's a woman to blame...
Sep 14, 2017
Northern Hemisphere
There's a new Rick Springfield out (The Snake King). He's considered classic rock but this album is hard rock/blues. The lyrics are downright bleak as the album was written while he was in a major depression contemplating suicide last year. It's really good all that being said.

My Best-Carey

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->