Best AHL Rivalries

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
The Chicago Wolves and Manitoba Moose have a strong rivalry. It's such a strong rivalry that it goes back to the IHL days along with many intense playoff battles.

Reactions: G50 and JMCx4

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
Most of the New England teams had great rivalry's. For awhile New England and Upstate NY was basically its own circuit and They rarely played Hershey or WBS.

pretty much this. As a kid the hate was strong for Worcester, Hartford, Springfield (grew up in Providence, was 7 when the P Bruins came back in 92).

Add to it there were no shortage of fighters on those old AHL teams either which led for plenty of 70s style games.

My favorite player was Darren Banks. 388 PIM in 84 games over 2 seasons

bsens35

Nov 29, 2015
How about fan base i remember as a kid being a icecat fan i hated the portland pirates fans coming into worcester with all there cowbells

Reactions: KasparsHipCheck

JFleegs

Dec 9, 2010
Virginia Beach
Binghamton-Syracuse used to be a lottttt of fun during the late-2000’s/early 2010’s. Tons of fights every game. Plenty of line brawls, goalie fights, you name it.

Jeremy Yablonski was on a podcast recently and they asked him about the best rivalries of his career and his answer was Senators/Crunch. Said the teams honestly hated each other (aside from himself and Mirasty of course, who are actually cousins despite fighting the most during that rivalry).
Man I miss the old bsens, I was a season ticket holder for 13 years and some of my greatest hockey memories are in that barn rooting for the sens. Had some great enforcers from Bonvie to McGratton, yablonski, hell even our goaltender Emery dropping the mitts. Penguins, Crunch and Hershey games were always a lot of fun.

Last edited:

ek93

Dec 28, 2014
New York
Man I miss the old bsens, I was a season ticket holder for 13 years and some of my greatest hockey memories are in that barn rooting for the sens. Had some great enforcers from Bonvie to McGratton, yablonski, hell even our goaltender Emery dropping the mitts. Penguins, Crunch and Hershey games were always a lot of fun.
Man those were the days. McGrattan, Bonvie, Yablonski, Emery, Carkner..hell even Lehner could throw them pretty well. We were spoiled back in the day.

Those games were so much more fun. Almost never hear the barn rocking like that anymore.

Reactions: Tao Jones

JFleegs

Dec 9, 2010
Virginia Beach
Man those were the days. McGrattan, Bonvie, Yablonski, Emery, Carkner..hell even Lehner could throw them pretty well. We were spoiled back in the day.

Those games were so much more fun. Almost never hear the barn rocking like that anymore.

I completely forgot about Carkner! And yeah Lehner was a damn good fighter too. I’ve only been to a couple games of the devils since I live out of town now but when I did it definitely felt empty in there. It’s too bad too because that place used to get crazy. I remember when I was on the concourse the place would shake. That Calder cup run in 2011 was something special. It was a hell of a place for opposing teams to play. Chants around the whole barn enough to make any goalie cry. The way the seats went up to the glass felt like the fans were right on top of the action. Haven’t been to an arena quite like it before or since then.

Reactions: Tao Jones

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad