Movies: Best Actor Tournament- Semifinals - VOTING CLOSED

Choose an actor for each pairing based on acting talent + movie/TV selection/filmography

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
Please consider:

- Acting talent
- Movie/TV selection/filmography

Jack Nicholson won the tournament of 256 actors and now will go up against 63 other HF-nominated actors that were not in the original tournament.

Original Tournament Final:

Movies: - Best Actor Tournament (FINALS) - JACK NICHOLSON WINS

Bracket

l4unt9cf.svg

GROUP STAGE

Group A

Jack NicholsonGary Oldman
Marion CotillardBruce Campbell
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Group B

Katharine HepburnChristopher Plummer
Sidney PoitierBen Foster
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Group C

Ingrid BergmanJoe Pesci
John WayneSteve Buscemi
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Group D

Daniel Day LewisLaura Dern
Henry FondaDonald Sutherland
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Group E

Marlon BrandoPhilip Seymour Hoffman
Casey AffleckHarvey Keitel
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Group F

Sean PennKathy Bates
Juliette BinochePaul Giamatti
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Group G

Gene HackmanJavier Bardem
Sam RockwellTom Hardy
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Group H

Frances McDormandGeorge C. Scott
Christopher WalkenCharlie Chaplin
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Group I

Sally FieldHelen Mirren
Sean ConneryMickey Rourke
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Group J

Christoph WaltzAlec Guinness
Peter O'TooleVincent Gallo
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Group K

Laurence OlivierClark Gable
Warren BeattyToshiro Mifune
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Group L

Sissy SpacekHumphrey Bogart
Michelle WilliamsMaggie Cheung
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Group M

Judi DenchJoaquin Phoenix
Gena RowlandsTony Leung
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Group N

Ellen BurstynJulianne Moore
Peter SellersGong Li
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Group O

Audrey HepburnRobert Duvall
Cary GrantSong Kang-ho
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Group P

Gregory PeckJames Stewart
James DeanMax Von Sydow
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
Brando and Day Lewis for me.
I'd put both DDL and PSH over Nicholson but I still take him vs. Brando. I think Nicholson has more lows than Brando with some of his more recent work, but I think there's just too much amazing work in the 70s/80s to ignore.

Don'tcry4mejanhrdina

Aug 4, 2003
This space.
I'd put both DDL and PSH over Nicholson but I still take him vs. Brando. I think Nicholson has more lows than Brando with some of his more recent work, but I think there's just too much amazing work in the 70s/80s to ignore.
Possibly so, but Brando did do The Island of Dr. Moreau. Even being in a Adam Sandler movie isn't sinking to that level of suck.

Reactions: Trap Jesus

Tasty Biscuits

with fancy sauce
Aug 8, 2011
Pittsburgh
Tough to go against DDL here, who probably takes it on ability alone. But I just have a personal soft spot for PSH's filmography.
I just love that he can pull off this:
As equally well as this:

Last edited:
Reactions: DaaaaB's

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
It's Christmas Day for you folks, because here is NINE MINUTES of footage which is EXCLUSIVELY PSH in his most iconic role, Dusty from Twister.

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
It is worth noting that Nicholson and Brando costarred in a Western, Missouri Breaks, in 1976. Brando, with one of the greatest totally bonkers performances ever, absolutely blew Nicholson off the screen and into little tiny pieces. There wasn't really much Jack could do, because Marlon stole every scene with his expressionistic approach to character, just sucked all the oxygen out of the room with the broadest performance immaginable. I think it had a big effect on Nicholson who took an over-the-top expressionistic approach in his next two movies Goin' South and The Shining, and occasionally ramped it up afterwards, in A Few Good Men, for instance. I don't think any of those performances would have been quite the same if he hadn't gotten rolled over by Brando in full crazy man mode.

Last edited:
Reactions: EXTRAS and NyQuil

EXTRAS

Jul 31, 2012
I know PSH has had much better roles but I've always had a soft spot for him in the talented Mr Ripley. Still voted DDL.

Went Brando over Nicholson fairly easily.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
I know PSH has had much better roles but I've always had a soft spot for him in the talented Mr Ripley. Still voted DDL.

Went Brando over Nicholson fairly easily.
Me, too. But people seem not to watch old movies anymore, so some of his best work--On the Waterfront; A Streetcar Named Desire: Julius Caesar; The Young Lions--just doesn't get seen anymore. I think Brando gave the greatest performance that I have ever seen in Last Tango in Paris, so all in all it was an easy choice.

Reactions: Tasty Biscuits

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
PSH's delivery of the line "pig f***" in this scene is one of my all-time favorites. From ~4:17 on. He's so mannered even when he starts getting heated and then just can't hold back any more and lets it slip out.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
A movie of his that doesn't get talked about much is A Most Wanted Man (2014). It was his last movie, not counting Hunger Games releases, and flew way under the radar. It's a terrific performance. Definitely recommended to those who haven't seen it.

Last edited:

DaaaaB's

Apr 24, 2004
Underrated PSH that hasn't been mentioned yet: the equally underrated film Before the Devil Knows You're Dead by Sidney Lumet.
I was just going to post this. Great movie by a great director and PSH was excellent in it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad