TV: Best Acted Detective in a Series

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
There have been about a gazillion detective shows on television over the years, and now they seem to be coming from everywhere: Great Britain, United States, Sweden, Canada, Australia, Italy, France and so on. Many of these shows are noteworthy for some very good acting by their principle character.

Which actor playing a detective has given the finest performance creating and maintaining his/her character over several episodes or seasons? In short, who is the best actor in a mystery series? Explanations and comments welcome.

silkyjohnson50

Jan 10, 2007
I'm not going to very qualified as I don't watch a ton of drama shows, but McConaughey was outstanding in True Detective.

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
Not sure I have a favorite, but Jeremy Brett as Sherlock Holmes is surely one of the best and EASILY the best Holmes ever.

Desdichado93

Jan 7, 2012
Sweden
It's hard to choose just one, but like mmentioned
Idris Elba as DCI John Luther
John Thaw as Chief inspector Endeavour Morse

as well as Michael Kitchen as Chief Superintendent Christopher Foyle

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
Dennis Farnia/Det. Fontana from Law & Order.

While I've never seen Law & Order, Dennis Farina was a favorite actor of mine. Snatch, Luck and of course Empire Falls come to mind. Your post reminded me of an 80's detective story though which was set in the 50's and I think he was lead. "Runaway" was the show's theme. I think I recall liking it, but I was quite young at the time and probably didn't pay enough attention.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
John Thaw hands down for me, he was outstanding as Morse.

Kitchen in Foyle's War was great as well.

I really like the job kevin whately did on Lewis and on Morse.

shaun evans has done a good job on Endeavour.

nathan fillion as Castle

Matthew Macfadyen on Ripper Street

David Tennant on Broadchurch

McConaughey on TD season 1.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
giphy.gif

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad