Best 98- and 99-born players in Ontario Junior A&B?

thehoodie

Jan 22, 2015
I don't think so. It's tier 3 when you really think about it and that means a whole lot of work to get noticed and to climb the ladder.

as I just stated, all should be allowed their own opinion.
I shall ask off that, if CCHL2 is in your terms tier3 hockey, then one should sumize U18 is teir4?

likewise, you have to admit, a U18, even the best, would not beat a CCHL2 team, even the worst, and that works up with a CCHL2 can't beat a CCHL1 (except for Kanata). So accepting that scenario, a player playing on a CCHL2 team, who's a 99/98, the same age as a U18 player, deserves the same if not greater opportunity to continue to progress upward, since that player has established himself playing against older, stronger and faster players already... and truly isn't that what development is about.

The Pylon

Jan 26, 2016
as I just stated, all should be allowed their own opinion.
I shall ask off that, if CCHL2 is in your terms tier3 hockey, then one should sumize U18 is teir4?

likewise, you have to admit, a U18, even the best, would not beat a CCHL2 team, even the worst, and that works up with a CCHL2 can't beat a CCHL1 (except for Kanata). So accepting that scenario, a player playing on a CCHL2 team, who's a 99/98, the same age as a U18 player, deserves the same if not greater opportunity to continue to progress upward, since that player has established himself playing against older, stronger and faster players already... and truly isn't that what development is about.

Some people can think that however U18 is a different beast in the sense that it is limited to 15-17 year olds. The best 16 year olds are playing Junior A or U18, NOT CCHL2. Shane got cut from a U18 team (you know the players that Kanata chose over Shane) yet he made a CCHL2 team. What does that tell you?

thehoodie

Jan 22, 2015
Some people can think that however U18 is a different beast in the sense that it is limited to 15-17 year olds. The best 16 year olds are playing U18 NOT CCHL2. Shane got cut from a U18 team (you know the players that Kanata chose over Shane) yet he made a CCHL2 team. What does that tell you?

I refuse to make this debate about 1 case... you know as well as I do, that particular player has baggage and if teams prefer to focus on his baggage and not upon the hockey player... this system will always be flawed.

I'm trying to look at the big picture and not one example, so IMHO, organizations that look at outside factors over on-ice abilities will always miss on good players... all said, a caveat is always needed... some off-ice behavior cannot be ignored, but as long as the player performs on ice, some leeway is acceptable... just look to Brian Kilrea. His history is filled with numerous off-ice issues, but he looked past that as long as the on-ice performance could justify, once the off-ice issues became too much the focus, then he would act, but until that point, he viewed on-ice as more important than off-ice when selecting players. So to go full circle. SS does have off-ice concerns, but they should not be used against him... but that's my opinion and many others clearly disagree.

hky01

Jan 5, 2016
I'm pretty sure that Casselman could beat 3-4 teams in Junior A.

Definitely beat Kanata and Gloucester.

SnipeShow91

Aug 9, 2010
OJHL 1999's

Misley, Oakville 18-19-37
Burnie, Wellington 14-17-31
Ralph, Lindsay 13-18-31
Campoli, North York 11-18-29
Seitz, Buffalo 11-16-27
Isaacson, Lindsay 13-10-23
Formenton, Aurora 11-12-23
Lowry, Cobourg 12-10-22
Durham, Whitby 9-12-21
Boushy, Georgetown 6-13-19
Evans, St. Michael's 7-10-17
Ham, Aurora 3-13-16
Breault, St. Michael's 6-8-14
Cocca, St. Michael's 4-10-14
Kalezic, Patriots 4-10-14
Wainman, Lindsay 4-10-14
Martin, Stouffville 2-9-11
Purboo, Patriots 4-5-9
Palatsidis, Stouffville 7-2-9
Cassano, Junior Canadiens 1-8-9
Roberts, Stouffville 1-7-8
Brahaney, Kingston 0-8-8
Smith, Trenton 1-5-6
Mannara, Oakville 1-5-6
Lyons, Patriots 1-5-6

Popovich, Wellington 2.38
McGrath, St. Michael's 3.30
Bonello, Junior Canadiens 3.91
Woroniuk, Pickering 4.89

thehoodie

Jan 22, 2015
I'm pretty sure that Casselman could beat 3-4 teams in Junior A.

Definitely beat Kanata and Gloucester.

I will not argue that point, I'm in total agreement... I might even go as far to suggest, the top 10 teams in CCHL2 could beat both Kanata and Gloucester, but that wasn't what I was going after. Rather it was more about the future stock of 99/98's playing in CCHL2.

The debate about the strength of the two a fore mentioned CCHL1 teams can be left for a different thread.

The Pylon

Jan 26, 2016
I refuse to make this debate about 1 case... you know as well as I do, that particular player has baggage and if teams prefer to focus on his baggage and not upon the hockey player... this system will always be flawed.

I'm trying to look at the big picture and not one example, so IMHO, organizations that look at outside factors over on-ice abilities will always miss on good players... all said, a caveat is always needed... some off-ice behavior cannot be ignored, but as long as the player performs on ice, some leeway is acceptable... just look to Brian Kilrea. His history is filled with numerous off-ice issues, but he looked past that as long as the on-ice performance could justify, once the off-ice issues became too much the focus, then he would act, but until that point, he viewed on-ice as more important than off-ice when selecting players. So to go full circle. SS does have off-ice concerns, but they should not be used against him... but that's my opinion and many others clearly disagree.

Couldn't disagree with you more. I'm a big fan of cutting out the cancer in the room, regardless of how good he is on the ice. Why? Because the cancer starts to eat into the abilities and performance of those who surround it and from that perspective, it's unaffordable, unacceptable and intolerable.

One of the greatest strengths a team can have is it's ability to create a strong bond with each other. I've had the privilege of watching my son win multiple league championships and with each of them, he was surrounded by kids (and families) who all respected each other. It is an experience everyone involved will remember for the rest of their lives.

To your point about Killer - yes many kids had off ice issues (some of whom are personal friends). Having said that, none of those kids demanded to their line mates to pass them the puck when he was in a scoring position because he was the only one who was going to the NHL. I leave that with you to guess who said that.......;)

valleydude

Mar 16, 2011
I wasn't referring to your comment... all you said does make sense. I referred to 'The pylon's' generalization about all playing CCHL2... I totally disagree with his comment, but have already acknowledged that each is allowed their own view and rather than get into an argument, I will accept his views as his opinion and leave it at that.

Hahah, that's what I get for reading them on my phone. Doh !

thehoodie

Jan 22, 2015
To your point about Killer - yes many kids had off ice issues (some of whom are personal friends). Having said that, none of those kids demanded to their line mates to pass them the puck when he was in a scoring position because he was the only one who was going to the NHL. I leave that with you to guess who said that.......;)

that's a loaded question... I could bite and give you what you want to hear, but again... he's not the only case. I do know numerous players at the 99/98 who have been accused of such comments, and one, now a high profile OHL player, who constantly made such comments... as well as another high profile player, who's father coached and would yell at his players to pass the puck to his son.

So to your point of cutting a 'cancer' out of dressing room, I can accept, but before that alleged cancer is trimmed, the complainers better make very certain that, they're squeakie clean themselves!

The Pylon

Jan 26, 2016
that's a loaded question... I could bite and give you what you want to hear, but again... he's not the only case. I do know numerous players at the 99/98 who have been accused of such comments, and one, now a high profile OHL player, who constantly made such comments... as well as another high profile player, who's father coached and would yell at his players to pass the puck to his son.

So to your point of cutting a 'cancer' out of dressing room, I can accept, but before that alleged cancer is trimmed, the complainers better make very certain that, they're squeakie clean themselves!

Perhaps a few will get through but it's the exception to the rule. If the kids you are talking about spent some time in Titans organization and it's the kids I think they are, I don't think either will make the show.

thehoodie

Jan 22, 2015
Perhaps a few will get through but it's the exception to the rule. If the kids you are talking about spent some time in Titans organization and it's the kids I think they are, I don't think either will make the show.[/QUOTE

hahahha... I'll steer clear of the Titan's... I have no first hand info, on them, but much seconds hand whispers... I'll stick to what I know; teams east of Rideau River...

So you proved my point... people who live in glass houses shouldn't throw stones!

The Pylon

Jan 26, 2016
Perhaps a few will get through but it's the exception to the rule. If the kids you are talking about spent some time in Titans organization and it's the kids I think they are, I don't think either will make the show.

hahahha... I'll steer clear of the Titan's... I have no first hand info, on them, but much seconds hand whispers... I'll stick to what I know; teams east of Rideau River...

So you proved my point... people who live in glass houses shouldn't throw stones!

I don't think I did. All I stated was my opinion. All the narcissists and their kids out there couldn't care less about what others think because it's all about them......

thehoodie

Jan 22, 2015
I don't think I did. All I stated was my opinion. All the narcissists and their kids out there couldn't care less about what others think because it's all about them......

Maybe you're right... but this (bold) fuels my comment... what's the true definition of a 'cancer' in a dressing-room. A player's attitude and behavior, or a player who refuses to accept a role and cater to the needs of the parents who care only about their own child... remember, the squeaky wheel always get's the grease!

but this gets away from the thread and the thread is a great thread....

all the 99/98 who play in A and B who can continue to climb the hockey ladder. Some are as expected and others are your late bloomers. and in the CCHL2, my feeling is these players are the late bloomers who didn't in most cases get the 'star' status given to the old AAA league players.

The Pylon

Jan 26, 2016
Maybe you're right... but this (bold) fuels my comment... what's the true definition of a 'cancer' in a dressing-room. A player's attitude and behavior, or a player who refuses to accept a role and cater to the needs of the parents who care only about their own child... remember, the squeaky wheel always get's the grease!

but this gets away from the thread and the thread is a great thread....

all the 99/98 who play in A and B who can continue to climb the hockey ladder. Some are as expected and others are your late bloomers. and in the CCHL2, my feeling is these players are the late bloomers who didn't in most cases get the 'star' status given to the old AAA league players.

We are still talking about an aspect of what makes a "best player" so I don't think we're high-jacking this thread. In hockey, the squeaky wheel doesn't get the grease, it get's the boot!

ANY KID WHO HAS TALENT AND WANTS TO GO SOMEWHERE SHOULD SIMPLY SHUT-UP AND LISTEN TO HIS COACH (PARENTS INCLUDED!!!!!)

If a coach is only there for his kid then sooner or later, a good association will get on top of it and get rid of him. Lots of good Ottawa area AA and AAA organizations do this. Off the top of my head looking at the '98 and '99 level, I can think of a few guys who coached at Titans, Kanata, Sting, Gloucester and OVSS who were shown the door for this very reason.

Puolustaja

Feb 15, 2016
Apparently there is Sam Dunn in the OJHL who is really good, he is a 1998. Has anyone seen him?

Read an article online today saying that Sebastian Dirven from the Cornwall Colts is getting NHL attention already as article 1998. He must be also pretty good!

fred

Sep 12, 2015
Some people can think that however U18 is a different beast in the sense that it is limited to 15-17 year olds. The best 16 year olds are playing Junior A or U18, NOT CCHL2. Shane got cut from a U18 team (you know the players that Kanata chose over Shane) yet he made a CCHL2 team. What does that tell you?

there where more players than him that didnt make a midget team but played jr b re CChl 2 , Some looked out of place and should have not been there . some looked ok. Not sure how some kids get released that have some future an some they keep that look pretty bad and a few that can not even skate

fred

Sep 12, 2015
Some CCHL2 '98s who have yet to be mentioned:

Stittsville Royals:
Ryan Cullen and Cole Lavoie are both top 6 forwards and have been key contributors in the Royal's offense. Both play big minutes on the PP and PK.

James Redmond and Etienne Vivash are both key pieces in the deep back end of the Royal's. Vivash played with the Cumberland Grads Jr.A last year as a 16 y/o and Redmond has a very high potential but has been battling some injuries over the last 2 seasons.

Athens Aeros:

Anthony Scattolon and Eric Hulford have been carrying the bulk of the offence in the second half for the Aeros. Both have been underrated this season but have really proven themselves in the stretch going into playoffs.

Hulford is one player that should have stayed in Midget. He has no skating ability. If a coach wants his decision to look good he will play with players that make him look better . The only reason he got points is because the coach placed with players that made him looked better. His team releases better players . Remember Rob Brown tallied a 100 points in the NHL . He played wing with Mario Lemiuex , two years later he could not get out of the AHL. Same idea just a different level . Scattolon , same idea . Not sure of another team that would want a 5;4' 140 ilbs centre. Lets place him with better players so they can get points and proof coach and management right.

TheLastShift

Canada
Nov 14, 2007
Hulford is one player that should have stayed in Midget. He has no skating ability. If a coach wants his decision to look good he will play with players that make him look better . The only reason he got points is because the coach placed with players that made him looked better. His team releases better players . Remember Rob Brown tallied a 100 points in the NHL . He played wing with Mario Lemiuex , two years later he could not get out of the AHL. Same idea just a different level . Scattolon , same idea . Not sure of another team that would want a 5;4' 140 ilbs centre. Lets place him with better players so they can get points and proof coach and management right.

Be real, you are comparing Rob Brown to 17-year old kids.

Watched Hulford 15+ times this season, yes his skating needs work but like a lot of 17-year old kids playing in Tier 2, they need work. He deserved the minutes he received more than the guys who didn't or the guys who were released or traded.

Scattalon is a 5-7 145 '98 born center, this isn't Major Junior.... you can be small and still dominate.. lots of teams in CCHL2 would take him in a heartbeat... 15 other teams.

The Prophet

Apr 6, 2016
Brad Chenier, Rayside 52 games 29 g,43 a, 72 points
Caleb Rich , French River, 53 games, 16 g, 32 a, 48 points
Both played in the NOJHL, and have real good shot at sticking in the OHL next season.

No Skin in the Game

Sep 15, 2015
people in here calling out Kanata U18 when they won provincial bronze? lmao

I would think they SHOULD have won a medal since all the top players in Major Midget outside Ottawa have moved on to the OHL or Junior...amazing experience and boys should be proud but lets not pretend they were playing the best of the best in that age group.

kellmuff96

Sep 13, 2010
I would think they SHOULD have won a medal since all the top players in Major Midget outside Ottawa have moved on to the OHL or Junior...amazing experience and boys should be proud but lets not pretend they were playing the best of the best in that age group.

What a weird comment. So the Telus Cup winner each year should get an asterisk because they arent playing against the best in their age group?

No Skin in the Game

Sep 15, 2015
What a weird comment. So the Telus Cup winner each year should get an asterisk because they aren't playing against the best in their age group?

Of course not but you are comparing apples to oranges when you take an HEO U18 team outside of Ottawa.....we have a completely different approach to the rest of the province with regard to the make up of our teams now.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->