Best 98- and 99-born players in Ontario Junior A&B?

The Pylon

Jan 26, 2016
it's a lady! :popcorn:
Nice to have another voice...
Not sure why all the focus is on one player. any 99 who played in CCHL, no matter their success deserve a bone or two.
My view, how a player makes a climb up the hockey ladder is more important than from what level he came... I believe Ed jovanovski never played AAA and I'd say he's done well with his career.

80's are over and Ed Jovanovski would never be able to play in today's NHL.

thehoodie

Jan 22, 2015
80's are over and Ed Jovanovski would never be able to play in today's NHL.

I guess I should get my mullet cut!

Not sure your view on 'Jovocop' holds water. I'd say, NHL teams would be in queue to have him on their line-up... He was a great 2 way player who could dictate game flow every shift he was on the ice.

basically, he was a solid D-man and I miss that quality

The Pylon

Jan 26, 2016
I guess I should get my mullet cut!

Not sure your view on 'Jovocop' holds water. I'd say, NHL teams would be in queue to have him on their line-up... He was a great 2 way player who could dictate game flow every shift he was on the ice.

basically, he was a solid D-man and I miss that quality

He (like many other NHL players) were right for the times. Watch one of the old classic NHL games that CBC plays once in a while. The skating and speed is laughable.

thehoodie

Jan 22, 2015
He (like many other NHL players) were right for the times. Watch one of the old classic NHL games that CBC plays once in a while. The skating and speed is laughable.

So players like Orr, Gretzky, Messier, Bobby Hull etc... would never be able to play now?

The Pylon

Jan 26, 2016
So players like Orr, Gretzky, Messier, Bobby Hull etc... would never be able to play now?

None of them would be nearly as effective today and they were then. Do you really think Orr can cut a hole through centre ice today? Do you really think Hull and Messier would get away with all their dirty hockey today? Try and watch an old Gretzky game (when he played for LA). You will be shocked at how many times he hooks and clutch grabs guys.....

thehoodie

Jan 22, 2015
God no. But when someone claims Jovo's skill level could not cut today's NHL, I was giving a point of reference to his "today's NHL"

I understand your view, but Jovanovski could skate and dominate. Cowen has never come close to that.

thehoodie

Jan 22, 2015
None of them would be nearly as effective today and they were then. Do you really think Orr can cut a hole through centre ice today? Do you really think Hull and Messier would get away with all their dirty hockey today? Try and watch an old Gretzky game (when he played for LA). You will be shocked at how many times he hooks and clutch grabs guys.....

so to bring this back to the thread. I one could argue, Oliver Castleman's numbers are the same as Dave Semenko when he played on Gretzky's line... but to be honest, that wouldn't be fair. Castleman isn't a plug... he can play, but his numbers were inflated.

The Pylon

Jan 26, 2016
so to bring this back to the thread. I one could argue, Oliver Castleman's numbers are the same as Dave Semenko when he played on Gretzky's line... but to be honest, that wouldn't be fair. Castleman isn't a plug... he can play, but his numbers were inflated.

Indeed one could argue that. Who's the luckiest guys in the NHL right now? Probably Eichel and McDavid's line mates..... ;)

thehoodie

Jan 22, 2015
back to the 99/98's in CCHL2

In my opinion;
D - Jacob Cuffley
D - Noah Rowe
D - Ryan Nielsen
D - Wyatt Villalta
Should get bigger props, since playing Defense, as a 16/17, is way harder than playing forward.

thehoodie

Jan 22, 2015
back to the 99/98's in CCHL2

In my opinion;
D - Jacob Cuffley
D - Noah Rowe
D - Ryan Nielsen
D - Wyatt Villalta
Should get bigger props, since playing Defense, as a 16/17, is way harder than playing forward.

all 4 should easily move up to the next level next year, but time will tell if the power to be agree.

InTheJungle

Feb 23, 2016
Some CCHL2 '98s who have yet to be mentioned:

Stittsville Royals:
Ryan Cullen and Cole Lavoie are both top 6 forwards and have been key contributors in the Royal's offense. Both play big minutes on the PP and PK.

James Redmond and Etienne Vivash are both key pieces in the deep back end of the Royal's. Vivash played with the Cumberland Grads Jr.A last year as a 16 y/o and Redmond has a very high potential but has been battling some injuries over the last 2 seasons.

Athens Aeros:
Anthony Scattolon and Eric Hulford have been carrying the bulk of the offence in the second half for the Aeros. Both have been underrated this season but have really proven themselves in the stretch going into playoffs.

thehoodie

Jan 22, 2015
What about Athens' Hulford, he's a 98. Seems to be blowing up the last couple months.

It seems you're right.
Eric Hulford showed last night, he deserves some 'love'. He may have started the season slow, but he's putting up nice consistent numbers since January.
All this is telling some people is, the 99/98 playing in the CCHL2 are quality players and need to be not over looked.

The Pylon

Jan 26, 2016
It seems you're right.
Eric Hulford showed last night, he deserves some 'love'. He may have started the season slow, but he's putting up nice consistent numbers since January.
All this is telling some people is, the 99/98 playing in the CCHL2 are quality players and need to be not over looked.

Other than luck, anyone in CCHL2 who wants to go somewhere has to be tearing up the league.

valleydude

Mar 16, 2011
It seems you're right.

I have not seen him play this year. Previous years his issues were speed, conditioning and work ethic. Skill was never the problem. If he has overcome those with maturity, good for him and maybe he will have a shot at CCHL.

valleydude

Mar 16, 2011
Isn't that a little harsh, but if that's your view who am I to argue.

I don't think it was harsh, or at least it was not intended to be. It was just where I thought he was at two years ago and it sounds like that is no longer the issue.

Certainly not a character assassination, more of just a "good for him" for improving...

thehoodie

Jan 22, 2015
I don't think it was harsh, or at least it was not intended to be. It was just where I thought he was at two years ago and it sounds like that is no longer the issue.

Certainly not a character assassination, more of just a "good for him" for improving...

I wasn't referring to your comment... all you said does make sense. I referred to 'The pylon's' generalization about all playing CCHL2... I totally disagree with his comment, but have already acknowledged that each is allowed their own view and rather than get into an argument, I will accept his views as his opinion and leave it at that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad