Best 98- and 99-born players in Ontario Junior A&B?

Puolustaja

Feb 15, 2016
I have been following the CHL for years but I only recently discovered the product that Junior A & B have to offer.

I see that many end up committing going to universities, which is great!

That being said, who would be the most promising younger players around the CCHL 1 and 2, OJHL and GOJHL?

thehoodie

Jan 22, 2015
I'll play along!
Probably missed a couple, but think I'm good on list.

CCHL1:
Top 5 99's
D - Matthieu Franche
F - Shawn Kennedy
D - Cam Crotty
F - Matthew Titus
F - Greg Meireles
Top '98's
F - Samuel Meisenheimer
G - Colton Point
F - Brett Murphy
F - Charles Levesque
F - Bobby Dow

CCHL2
Top 99's
F - Oliver Castleman
G - Nick Campbell
D - Ryan Nielsen
D - Wyatt Villalta
F - Shane Spencer
Top '98's
F - Issac Barr
D - Jacob Cuffley
D - Noah Rowe
F - John Pickering
F - Andrew McIntyre

OTownApologist

Apr 22, 2014
Ottawa, ON
I'll play along!
Probably missed a couple, but think I'm good on list.

CCHL1:
Top 5 99's
D - Matthieu Franche
F - Shawn Kennedy
D - Cam Crotty
F - Matthew Titus
F - Greg Meireles
Top '98's
F - Samuel Meisenheimer
G - Colton Point
F - Brett Murphy
F - Charles Levesque
F - Bobby Dow

CCHL2
Top 99's
F - Oliver Castleman
G - Nick Campbell
D - Ryan Nielsen
D - Wyatt Villalta
F - Shane Spencer
Top '98's
F - Issac Barr
D - Jacob Cuffley
D - Noah Rowe
F - John Pickering
F - Andrew McIntyre

Owen Grant?! Arguably the top blue-liner in the league, he's a 98. I'd also take Cale List, likely over Dow.

As for the CCHL2, Matt Dods has been great, he'd be in my top 5.

thehoodie

Jan 22, 2015
Owen Grant?! Arguably the top blue-liner in the league, he's a 98. I'd also take Cale List, likely over Dow.

As for the CCHL2, Matt Dods has been great, he'd be in my top 5.

you're right I missed a few and yes Me bad!
Grant for sure and can't argue List either...

Dod's deserves recognition, does give up almost 4 GA/G, but yes, another top '98.

valleydude

Mar 16, 2011
you're right I missed a few and yes Me bad!
Grant for sure and can't argue List either...

Dod's deserves recognition, does give up almost 4 GA/G, but yes, another top '98.

I think Brooks has to get the nod for top 98 Goalie. Granted he might have got lost in the shuffle due to his promotion from CCHH2 to CCHL but he has been very solid for Kemptville.

RocketGirl

Feb 4, 2016
From the GOJHL, both are 99's, Shane Bulitka from Strathmore, he's a forward and Sudbury Wolves draft pick. Nate Schnarr from Waterloo, another forward and he's a Guelph Storm draft pick.

Both are fantastic hockey players and will definitely be in the OHL next year.

No Skin in the Game

Sep 15, 2015
I think Brooks has to get the nod for top 98 Goalie. Granted he might have got lost in the shuffle due to his promotion from CCHH2 to CCHL but he has been very solid for Kemptville.

Agree, stepping in late in the season and going 10 and 4 with a 2.66 GAA is well worth some praise.....

thehoodie

Jan 22, 2015
Uhhh no! Lol.....

WONDERFUL... HECK OF AN OPINION!

I took time to play along, gave an honest view and maybe missed a few in doing so, but you add your uneducated 2 cents.

So, not sure what your criteria is, but what a player does on the ice, is all that mattered to me. If you don't agree, that's your view, and based upon your other posts, I doubt you've seen any CCHL2 game and most likely have a personal beef with the players family.

The Pylon

Jan 26, 2016
WONDERFUL... HECK OF AN OPINION!

I took time to play along, gave an honest view and maybe missed a few in doing so, but you add your uneducated 2 cents.

So, not sure what your criteria is, but what a player does on the ice, is all that mattered to me. If you don't agree, that's your view, and based upon your other posts, I doubt you've seen any CCHL2 game and most likely have a personal beef with the players family.

It is indeed my opinion and like you, I'm entitled to it. I know the player and the family quite well. Heck, my kid may have even been one of Shane's teammates. :naughty:. If you know someone who has played with Shane, ask them what he's like in the room! No beef with the family whatsoever even though others can't say the same. Have you looked at the top scoring forwards in CCHL2? Shane is waaaay down the list.

Last edited:

thehoodie

Jan 22, 2015
It is indeed my opinion and like you, I'm entitled to it. I know the player and the family quite well. Heck, my kid may have even been one of Shane's teammates. :naughty:. No beef with the family whatsoever even though others can't say the same. Have you looked at the top scoring forwards in CCHL2? Shane is waaaay down the list.

Point taken on allowed opinions.

As for basing results strictly upon point totals, I must disagree!
Shane is a 1999. He's not a first line player on Athens, but has been productive when given an opportunity. I guess CPC might agree with me on him being a prospect, since they placed him on their 30 man roster, after Kanata released him from their U18 team. [aside] just another example of the ineptness of Kanata

I shall add, Oliver Castleman clearly is an example of your definition of a prospect. He definitely has earned his accolades, but I wonder how inflated his point totals are, considering he's playing on a team that scored 266 goals, and pays their players to play (allegedly).

My view on Castleman, is his numbers would be good but nowhere near what they are if he played with Clarence, OJC, Prescott or Winchester, but than points are not what determine a players value. It's what they do when they don't have the puck that shows if a player has game.

So to end, I was wrong to question your opinions... I'll remember we're all entitled to them.

The Pylon

Jan 26, 2016
As for basing results strictly upon point totals, I must disagree!

So to end, I was wrong to question your opinions... I'll remember we're all entitled to them.

I used to think the same way but now I believe it's all secondary aspects of a forward's role (winning battles, defensive play, puck support, etc). It's about points first and then look at what else he is good at.

With the D, I'm strictly a +/- guy. Still blown away by how many defenseman are selected based on positioning, size and battling yet they always seem to be on the ice when scored upon.

You're a good man!

thehoodie

Jan 22, 2015
Someone on this board seems to bring this player into the conversation on a regular basis...is it legit or someone is promoting their kid? Seems suspicious to me....

Not promoting anyone. the thread was "Best 98- and 99-born players in Ontario Junior A&B?"

I'm guilty of mentioned his name as a '99 playing in CCHL2, who based upon his play, was worthy of being mentioned. He is one of only 8 1999's playing in the CCHL2 and like the other 4 I named, deserved this acknowledgement - nothing more, nothing less.

Funny thing, I am guilty of answer the original question, but haven't seen any of the self-professed hockey genius' stand up and do like wise... to some it's easier to criticize than compliment.
I chose to praise those I feel who deserve and not crush like some other.

No Skin in the Game

Sep 15, 2015
Not promoting anyone. the thread was "Best 98- and 99-born players in Ontario Junior A&B?"

I'm guilty of mentioned his name as a '99 playing in CCHL2, who based upon his play, was worthy of being mentioned. He is one of only 8 1999's playing in the CCHL2 and like the other 4 I named, deserved this acknowledgement - nothing more, nothing less.

Funny thing, I am guilty of answer the original question, but haven't seen any of the self-professed hockey genius' stand up and do like wise... to some it's easier to criticize than compliment.
I chose to praise those I feel who deserve and not crush like some other.

I actually edited my post when I realised it was not you who had brought this player up a few times previously, but I see I was too late.

The Pylon

Jan 26, 2016

Let's not assume that it is extremely difficult for a '99 to make CCHL2 since most of the good ones have been playing U18 for the Junior A teams that drafted them in major bantam.

No Skin in the Game

Sep 15, 2015
I'd say, those 99's who played CCHL2 chose to play at higher level rather than play U18 and, all 5 99's I stated, were solid contributors for their respective teams.
Castleman proved is worth (Brockville)
Campbell was a top 10 Goalie (Hawkesbury)
Nielsen played the most games by any OJC defensemen (Kanata)
Villalta played all 44 games for Westport
Spencer contributed as well

first 3 were drafted as major bantams, Villalta is from Kingston and Spencer was at Hill academy

I believe someone earlier said the Spencer did not make U18...

thehoodie

Jan 22, 2015
:yo:
yes he was released by kanata, but was undrafted, I believe since he came from Hill academy

it's a lady! :popcorn:
Nice to have another voice...
Not sure why all the focus is on one player. any 99 who played in CCHL, no matter their success deserve a bone or two.
My view, how a player makes a climb up the hockey ladder is more important than from what level he came... I believe Ed jovanovski never played AAA and I'd say he's done well with his career.

canadianhockeymom

Jan 27, 2016
Not sure why all the focus is on one player. any 99 who played in CCHL,[/B] no matter their success deserve a bone or two.
My view, how a player makes a climb up the hockey ladder is more important than from what level he came... I believe Ed jovanovski never played AAA and I'd say he's done well with his career.

think you meant CCHL2, but yes you make a valid point

canadianhockeymom

Jan 27, 2016
Not sure why all the focus is on one player. any 99 who played in CCHL, no matter their success deserve a bone or two.

and yes - we have opinion's too

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad