Best 2018-19 Western Conference Power Play? SJ vs. WPG

Who will be better?

• Total voters

kyle o connor

enjoying first line highlife
Apr 8, 2008
Winnipeg, MB
For reference, Winnipeg was 5th in the league last year (1st in the West). Karlssonless San Jose was 16th in the league (6th in the West).

PROJECTED LINES

Connor - Scheifele - Wheeler

Laine - Byfuglien

-----------

Couture - Thornton - Pavelski

Karlsson - Burns

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Laines’s a element San Jose can’t match

They have 2 dmen who have broken 70pts more than once in Karlsson and Burns. They have one of the best forwards in the league at deflecting pucks in Pavelski. They have one of the best playmakers the game has ever seen in Thornton. Then they plug in Couture or Hertl or Donskoi and they have a very dangerous unit. Laine and Scheifle are very very good don't get me wrong, but I'm siding with experience here.

StatisticsAddict99

Feb 24, 2017
They have 2 dmen who have broken 70pts more than once in Karlsson and Burns. They have one of the best forwards in the league at deflecting pucks in Pavelski. They have one of the best playmakers the game has ever seen in Thornton. Then they plug in Couture or Hertl or Donskoi and they have a very dangerous unit. Laine and Scheifle are very very good don't get me wrong, but I'm siding with experience here.

This is asking what Powerplay will be better, not which players are better overall.

Anyways, if I where to start a Power Play today the first person I’d pick in the entire league would be Laine(second would be either McDavid or Ovechkin). Now you add Scheifele who also has an amazing shot and who is one of the best slot shot generating Centers in the game, Wheeler who is overall Elite and is as hard as anyone to get off the puck when given space(to make plays), Connor who has an excellent shot with great hands to work in space and Byfuglien to help equalize the right side of the ice with his bomb of a shot it’s not really that hard of a decision.

All that being said San Jose does deserve credit for having the two best scoring D men in the league but they just don’t have the shot qaulity and damage the Jets have on there Powerplay. Both will be Top 10 next season and imo both are Top 5 in the league on paperz

Reactions: Viktor Vaughn

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
Gotta go with the team that did it last year, especially when all their guys are still young and they're not working in a new player. Laine pretty much guarantees a top PP by himself at this point as well.

North Cole

♧ Lem
Jan 22, 2017
Important to note that pp% are not only calculated based off of first unit success. If the second unit scores, that counts as a pp goal and is tallied on the team total...citing the two top units and then the team %'s is a little nearsighted

If Karlsson and Burns play on separate units that will close the gap a little. If they play on the same unit then it likely won't increase as much as people think (team wise). Wpg has a much better 2nd unit.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad