Best 2003 Round 7-9 Picks?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZombieMatt

May 20, 2002
I'm just wondering if you felt that any prospects picked in the later rounds of 2003 had exceptional developmental years this past season in their respectie leagues.

Is there anyone whose rights are owned by your favourite team that has dramatically seen their stock rise because of the past season?

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
Pittsburgh picked up some really good late rounders last year:

7th round (199 overall) - Andy Chiodo - Became a pretty reliable starter for Wilkes Barre during the regular season, even better in the playoffs. Played a few games in Pittsburgh and looked good.

7th round (229 overall) - Steven Dixon - 3rd on Cape Breton in scoring. Made the Canadian WJC team as a bit of a surprise.

8th round (263 overall) - Matt Moulson - Led Cornell University in scoring by about 10 points, putting up 18 goals and 17 assists (35 points) in only 32 games. Poised to continue to improve for Cornell next year as a Junior.

Guig

Jun 17, 2003
Qc
Montreal got 2 good pick

round 7(217th overall): Oskari Korpikari
round 9(271th overall): Jaroslav Halak

degroat*

For the Blues: Juhamatti Aaltonen... 9th round pick out of Finland.

willie

Mar 3, 2002
Visit site
LA has a pair of interesting picks:

Goaltender Matt Zaba was drafted in the 8th rd, 231st overall. As a Freshman, he took over the starting role at Colorado College after their starting goalie went down. He played 23 games with a 10-10-2 record and a very impressive 2.27 GAA and .911 Save percentage. He apparently was quite the surprise and impressed a lot of people. However, given that he is a goaltender, he still has a long developmental curve ahead of him and still needs to establish himself as a quality NCAA starter before any professional projections can be made.

Also, Marty Guerin apparently had an outstanding freshman campaign at Miami-Ohio. Drafted in the 9th rd, 274th overall, Guerin put up 14 goals, 19 assists for 33 points in 41 games in his freshman campaign. He was named to the CCHA All-Rookie Team and apparently plays a very rugged, gritty style of play. He will have to continue to improve his play in upcoming seasons in order to establish himself as a very good prospect though.

infinitesadd

May 15, 2004
Pittsburgh
MrKnowNothing said:
Pittsburgh picked up some really good late rounders last year:

7th round (199 overall) - Andy Chiodo - Became a pretty reliable starter for Wilkes Barre during the regular season, even better in the playoffs. Played a few games in Pittsburgh and looked good.

7th round (229 overall) - Steven Dixon - 3rd on Cape Breton in scoring. Made the Canadian WJC team as a bit of a surprise.

8th round (263 overall) - Matt Moulson - Led Cornell University in scoring by about 10 points, putting up 18 goals and 17 assists (35 points) in only 32 games. Poised to continue to improve for Cornell next year as a Junior.

How can you forget the best one of them all: The Mighty Maxime Talbot! I think he was an 8th rounder.

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
infinitesadd said:
How can you forget the best one of them all: The Mighty Maxime Talbot! I think he was an 8th rounder.

Talbot was in 2002, though. He's certainly improved his stock dramatically.

Teemu

Caffeine Free Since 1919
Dec 3, 2002
Blackhawks 7th rounder Mike Brodeur was arguably the best goaltender i nthe WHL this year. could give Crawford a run for his money as the hawks future #1 netminder. He was also one of the most raved-about prospects in last years training camp.

Blackhawks 8th round pick Bubba Byfuglien lost weight and continues to do so. He may blossom into a beast at the NHL level.

PEli*

Boston getting Mondou in the 8th round wasn't bad. I'll agree with the poster saying that Dixon was a good pick. He was near the end of the 7th, if I remember correctly.

Avery4Byng*

Irish_Leaf said:
for the leafs:

#220 jeremy williams: led WHL in goals and second in points with 101 :yo:

Take Redenbach off his line and you would have had a different story.

andora

Apr 23, 2002
Victoria
redenbach a leech? how, that doesn't even line up with redenbach's style as a passer/playmaker and williams as a goalscorer.

Gwyddbwyll

Dec 24, 2002
The Coyotes selected Randall Gelech in the 7th round that year. I wouldnt call him exceptional but he has had an impressive year. Started by leading the Pacific Prospects tournament in scoring (this included best prospects from ANA, PHX, SJS & LAX) and was invited to the Canadian development camp. Key player for Kelowna who were the Memorial Cup champions this year. His numbers are not eye-popping (49pts in 71 games) but they were good enough to lead the team in both goals (30) and points. Known as a clutch player he also came good in the playoffs with 10 goals, best on the team again.

However its still very rare for a player who doesnt score at least a ppg rate to make the NHL.

andora

Apr 23, 2002
Victoria
Stevex said:
The Coyotes selected Randall Gelech in the 7th round that year. I wouldnt call him exceptional but he has had an impressive year. Started by leading the Pacific Prospects tournament in scoring (this included best prospects from ANA, PHX, SJS & LAX) and was invited to the Canadian development camp. Key player for Kelowna who were the Memorial Cup champions this year. His numbers are not eye-popping (49pts in 71 games) but they were good enough to lead the team in both goals (30) and points. Known as a clutch player he also came good in the playoffs with 10 goals, best on the team again.

However its still very rare for a player who doesnt score at least a ppg rate to make the NHL.

not to mention he's a beast out on the ice, physically superior to most he plays against. honestly, for just his physical appearance out there, and down low puck control he looks like a juniors jason allison. keep in mind i'm not comparing his potential and skills to allison, just how he plays when he's on, same kind of style

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
rick25 said:
Florida
Round 7 (223) Dany Roussin 6'02" 195. Crosby's teammate. Second best in point(117) and first in goal(59) last year in the Q.

I think we all know why he put those numbers up.

If he's on Drummondville he doesn't get close to that.

I loved the Penguins picks of Chiodo and Moulson at the time, and I love them a million times more now.

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
Carolina Hurricanes

Shay Stephenson: 7th Round #198 overall

Stephenson was a re-entry that was actually taken higher than he was the first time, which isn't very common. Stephenson played some inspired hockey with the WHL's Red Deer Rebels and was crucial in the playoffs for the Rebels scoring 5G and 7A for 12 points. He has a nice frame for a physical player and is old enough to play with the AHL's Lowell Lockmonsters next season or perhaps Florida of the ECHL. Either way, he's likely to get a contract.

elphy101

Nov 8, 2002
City of Champions
Visit site
Kyle Brodziak. 3rd in WHL scoring last year as a 19 year old. 2nd team CHL all-star. And unlike most late picks, Brodziak is big at 6'2" 200 pounds and he can skate. Best pick of the last half of the draft imo.

LaLaLaprise

lalalaprise -twitter
Feb 28, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Handsome B. Wonderful said:
I think we all know why he put those numbers up.

If he's on Drummondville he doesn't get close to that.

I loved the Penguins picks of Chiodo and Moulson at the time, and I love them a million times more now.

Yup...Roussin was still a nice late round pick. Size and hands. Playing in Rimouski will mess him up defensivly though.

Last edited by a moderator:

andora

Apr 23, 2002
Victoria
Caniacforever said:
Carolina Hurricanes

Shay Stephenson: 7th Round #198 overall

Stephenson was a re-entry that was actually taken higher than he was the first time, which isn't very common. Stephenson played some inspired hockey with the WHL's Red Deer Rebels and was crucial in the playoffs for the Rebels scoring 5G and 7A for 12 points. He has a nice frame for a physical player and is old enough to play with the AHL's Lowell Lockmonsters next season or perhaps Florida of the ECHL. Either way, he's likely to get a contract.

stephenson is one of my all time favorite rebels, i think he's definitely able to be an AHL player in the future, not sure about nhl. he's a big guy with good work ethic, lots of grit and character, and likes to forecheck hard. awesome bottom two line player for red deer that would spot duty with colin fraser at some points this year, and with yakubov awhile back.. 2nd pp unit, standing in front of the net...

:handclap:

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
andora said:
stephenson is one of my all time favorite rebels, i think he's definitely able to be an AHL player in the future, not sure about nhl. he's a big guy with good work ethic, lots of grit and character, and likes to forecheck hard. awesome bottom two line player for red deer that would spot duty with colin fraser at some points this year, and with yakubov awhile back.. 2nd pp unit, standing in front of the net...

:handclap:

Awesome, andora. I've heard good things, but it's always great to hear more. If Carolina can get a 4th line player in the 7th Round, i'd consider that a possitive. For all intents and purposes, it looks as if Shay will be one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad