Besides the Leafs how many teams have played a back to back after a 5 game road trip?

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
I have heard others say when a team comes back from a west coast road trip their first home back is the hardest one to play in. After the Leafs play their games in Anaheim, San Jose, and Los Angeles they then travel to play the Capitals in Washington this Sunday and the Red Wings in Detroit next Tuesday. However the Leafs next home is not until next Wednesday against Tampa Bay, so that means they are in a back to back situation. Now I'm wondering doesn't the NHL usually give a team a day or two off when coming off that type of road trip before playing their next home game? Also if it makes a difference I saw that Tampa Bay doesn't play next Tuesday, so they will be in Toronto waiting. So is this a scheduling quirk or was it because of the Olympic break and the NHL had no choice to make the Leafs schedule like that?

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin
You try to make an 82 game schedule for 30 teams, in a condense schedule, and try to make it completely equal for each team.

HarrisonFord

President of the Drew Doughty Fan Club
Jul 20, 2011
Toronto
I honestly think that our schedule maker sucks. The Bruins always seem to get great schedules.... grumble grumble Colin Campbell grumble

eddieO

Jan 9, 2013
The Beach
It's not that big of a deal. The cali road trip, once they got here (I'm in cali), were 2 short 45 min flights. And a back-to-back DET and then home in Toronto isn't a hike.

But yeah, if we lose, I'll blame the road trip. :handclap:

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Here is something else to consider when thinking about this.

Last week Montreal played four games out in Los Angeles, Anaheim, Phoenix, and San Jose with their most recent game happening last Saturday. Their next game is not until March 12th against the Bruins.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
ya all teams have quirks in their schedule not unique. I'm sure it's not easy to make the schedule for 30 teams with limited dates and teams asking for certain days to play preferably.

MuchoMacho

Jul 19, 2009
Penalty Box
I honestly think that our schedule maker sucks. The Bruins always seem to get great schedules.... grumble grumble Colin Campbell grumble

The NHL makes the schedule for all teams. It's not like each team has their own guy calling other teams asking when they'd be available to play a game.

I don't know for sure, but it'd make the most sense if it was a computer program that did all of the schedules. You feed in all of the variables and then let the computer pop out the results with human oversight for any unforeseen conflicts.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
The NHL makes the schedule for all teams. It's not like each team has their own guy calling other teams asking when they'd be available to play a game.

I don't know for sure, but it'd make the most sense if it was a computer program that did all of the schedules. You feed in all of the variables and then let the computer pop out the results with human oversight for any unforeseen conflicts.

That's exactly how it's done...then tweaked after the GM's get to look at the first gen.

Sens this week have 5 days off then play a back to back, seems dumb as well. You couldn't squeeze one game in those 5 days.

hockeyes

Jun 15, 2013
Like already said, your going to have good breaks and bad breaks.

It does seem "strange" that Boston and Pittsburgh regularly have games in hand on most teams in the East. The cynical side of me says it's because the NHL wanted to help out any surprise team be artificially closer for ratings. Doesn't matter though obviously because they all play 82 at the end of the day.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
It's a shame the schedule makers didn't package up Vancouver on this current road trip. Would have been cool to kick them while they're down...

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Sort of sucks that it's a back to back but Detroit is really close. It's not much of an issue. Most players are probably going to go home after the Washington game and then board the flight to Detroit Tuesday morning. It's not an excuse to really fall back on and I hope the players don't give themselves the excuse either.

If we were going from Vancouver to Toronto for the next day, then yeah, that would be an issue.

The one issue I had with the schedule was having a week off at the start of the year (first week of November). That was just brutal timing and I think we ended up on the short end of the stick with that.

mcleex

Fire Parros
Jul 3, 2009
The Bruins always seem to somehow have less games played than everybody else. They always have games in hand it seems

indigobuffalo

Portage and Main
Feb 10, 2011
Winnipeg MB
The Bruins always seem to somehow have less games played than everybody else. They always have games in hand it seems

Just means they'll have a tougher schedule going into the playoffs.

IMO it's worse for the B's that way. The more games you play compacted together, the higher the likelihood of injuries.

Better to have guys get injured in the early part of the season than right before playoffs start.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
True - everyone keeps saying it's better to be chased, than to be the chaser. I just always find it so weird how several teams constantly has games in hands. I think we have like 1-2 etc. and never for a long forseen time. and I think that's the stick up the craw for some.

Oct 18, 2010
It's a shame the schedule makers didn't package up Vancouver on this current road trip. Would have been cool to kick them while they're down...

Before the Olympics the leafs beat them by scoring 3 goals in roughly 3 minutes after going down one and playing a brutal game overall.

they weren't as bad as they are now but they were pretty brutal.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad