Player Discussion Besides Neal what new players do you have high hopes for this season

What new player do you have high hopes for this season?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Tyrolean

Feb 1, 2004
Mike Smith. I have high hopes for him because without him playing well Koskinen gets most of the starts and we have seen what happens then.

Smith plays well and is healthy we have a fighting chance with league average goaltending.

Otherwise we’re out of it by Feb.
So dumb to extend Kosco.

KCC

Aug 15, 2007
Anyone who can actually step up in a top 6 role. Lol

Todd from Leduc

Connor “The Next Great One” McDavid
Nov 15, 2017
Leduc
Granlund has shown signs of being just as good as his brother, not all siblings develop at the same pace, I think we will be pleasantly surprised and who knows maybe this is the year he passes him?

Jurco is an absolute stud and probably a top 10 Slovakian of all time. People will be very happy with Jurco, trust me. I could even see him making his way up to McDavids wing.

Tad Mikowsky

Only Droods
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2008
Edmonton
Granlund has shown signs of being just as good as his brother, not all siblings develop at the same pace, I think we will be pleasantly surprised and who knows maybe this is the year he passes him?

Jurco is an absolute stud and probably a top 10 Slovakian of all time. People will be very happy with Jurco, trust me. I could even see him making his way up to McDavids wing.

This blatant trolling is so obnoxious. Granlund is nowhere close to his brother. Granlund isn't going to explode.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Smith

I don't have high expectations of any of the guys that we brought in, but I do hope Smith can either play well or be a good mentor for Koskinen.

We just don't have enough games where the goalie is the reason we won. How our club is built we need the goalies to steal games for us.

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
This is me as well, more rooting for Benson/Marody to solidify themselves as NHL players and Bouchard to maybe show some flashes this year.

I’m more excited for the rookies as well. Could see Benson, Marody, Samorukov, and Bouchard all making the team.

Reactions: WIOiler

McTedi

Jul 16, 2008
Edmonton
Smith as backup goalie will have an instrumental role if this season is going to be successful. It is anyones guess as to how many games he plays, I suspect at least 25.

Smartguy

May 3, 2010
Edmonton
Smith as backup goalie will have an instrumental role if this season is going to be successful. It is anyones guess as to how many games he plays, I suspect at least 25.
Our season may well live and dive by the goalie, but that goalie won’t be Smith. Koskinen is the one with an anchor of a deal if he doesn’t show well this season. Smith is 37, if he can come in and just give us a decent start every 4-5 games I think we are thrilled. If he’s the head goalie by December I think we’re already looking forward to next season

Skolman

Feb 16, 2018
It's funny, I've been looking more into Laglesson the past couple weeks, and he's super intriguing.

Bob just recently tweeted this

Confirmed, I'm on the Lagesson hype train. ;)

In all seriousness, he's the guy who I think will surprise the most and make the decision to cut him very difficult.

McTedi

Jul 16, 2008
Edmonton
Our season may well live and dive by the goalie, but that goalie won’t be Smith. Koskinen is the one with an anchor of a deal if he doesn’t show well this season. Smith is 37, if he can come in and just give us a decent start every 4-5 games I think we are thrilled. If he’s the head goalie by December I think we’re already looking forward to next season
Agreed but as far as the poll was concerned...Smith might have the biggest impact as far as new additions are concerned outside of Neal.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
Every 4-5 games means like usual, our starter is being over played

WIOiler

Apr 19, 2017
It's funny, I've been looking more into Laglesson the past couple weeks, and he's super intriguing.

Bob just recently tweeted this

Confirmed, I'm on the Lagesson hype train. ;)

In all seriousness, he's the guy who I think will surprise the most and make the decision to cut him very difficult.

I think he's almost guaranteed a spot. He's more physical and defensively sound than the others. There may be more upside to the others, but right now he will fit Tippett's style better.

Reactions: MessierII

dem

Mar 17, 2002
I have a feeling Marody breaks in on the RW
And William Lagesson gets a spot out of camp

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
I have a feeling Marody breaks in on the RW
And William Lagesson gets a spot out of camp
Too big a hole at 3C for Marody to break in as a winger. We have Kass, Chiasson, Archibald, Gagner as right wingers already and others who can slide in there. I don’t see it.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Ive said it before but I have irrationally strong feelings of a young prospect making big waves this year. The Oilers are due for a non 1st round pick turning into a stud. The Oilers havent had one in the past 10 years (Petry is borderline).

Personally I think it will be Caleb Jones, he appears to have all the tools and putting them together nicely

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005

Koskinen's bad contract has zero bearing on whether he needs to be the starter or not. Smith has been an NHL starter his entire career. If he's the main guy by December I would say that's greater cause for celebration than a sign of impending doom. Many goalies these days play very well until they are 40, don't see what Smith (despite a single year struggle) needs to be any different.

Reactions: Oilhawks

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad