Player Discussion Besides Neal what new players do you have high hopes for this season

What new player do you have high hopes for this season?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
I know little about them overall but you got to think one of the forwards, either ahl call up or currently signed will end up jumping on an opportunity and succeeding.

My gut pick is Nygard.

My extreme dark horse is Maxismov.

Very curious about Persson and the log jamb of goodies on defense. My gut says Bouchard will win in but it's such a good group who truly knows.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
I know little about them overall but you got to think one of the forwards, either ahl call up or currently signed will end up jumping on an opportunity and succeeding.

My gut pick is Nygard.

My extreme dark horse is Maxismov.

Very curious about Persson and the log jamb of goodies on defense. My gut says Bouchard will win in but it's such a good group who truly knows.
He's more likely to be in the ECHL than the NHL.

Reactions: Dempsey and Aerchon

BarDownBobo

Oct 19, 2012
City of Champions
To me there’s three different classes of players in the poll:

Smith, Granlund and Archibald are the ‘sure things.’ They’re all veteran players who have established themselves and at this point you pretty much know what they are. Smith was an established #1 but at this point you’re expecting him to come in, play 30-35 games and push Koskinen to be his best. Granlund and Archibald are both bottom 6ers who will contribute 15-30 points and be key players on the PK. I really like all three acquisitions but I wouldn’t expect anything spectacular from them.

Nygard and Haas both come in as the older rookies who have a lot of pro experience in Europe. They’ve both got intriguing skill sets that potentially fill needs for the team, but there’s also a reason they’ve never had a shot in North America before. Haas in particular has intrigued me lately as his scouting report/highlights really remind me of 16/17 Mark Letestu, where he’s a guy who won’t necessarily contribute much 5 on 5 but he can have an impact on both the PP and PK. Nygard’s speed and offensive instincts could also be a nice fit, he could steal a spot in the top 6.

Finally you’ve got the ‘good story’ players with Persson and Jurco. Jurco being the former high pick who’s struggled with injuries and Persson being the ultimate late bloomer. They both have big question marks around them but could fill massive holes in the squad if they play to their highest potential. I like the way that Jurco decided to take his health into his own hands last year, taking half the season off to recover and then signing with an AHL squad when he felt he was ready instead of signing an NHL contract in the summer(which he likely could have) and being pressured to get back. And Persson going from a division 3 player who worked full time to an NHL contract in 3 years is a guy who’s easy to root for, and as an offense RHD he’d fill a massive hole.

I guess if I were to pick one player for the poll I’d pick Persson. I really like what he’s done in the SHL, and he proved last year he wasn’t just a product of Petterson. That said, I really like all of these pickups and think they’ll all play big parts on the team this season.

780il

edm
May 29, 2018
Edmonton AB
None of the above

Although if we can get a good 3c I think Archibald could put together a pretty good year at 3rw.

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
Smith
Persson
Archibald
Nygard

plus...

Benson
Marody

and my wildcard pick..

Josh Currie

I think (hopefully) there will be several surprisingly good performances from somewhat surprising players this season.

Can every new player bring essentially nothing to the lineup yet again?

No, I don't think we get that crappy hand dealt yet again this season... I think the law of averages FINALLY will work in the Oilers favour and the team has a few surprising performances to the upside this year rather than a bunch of duds like in years past.

alphahelix

Feb 15, 2007
Cam Hebig is the new Guillaume Latendresse. Who? Thats right. Players that look great by my eye and no one puts any effort into developing or cares about at all. Why cant this type of player be a good NHLer? Oilers really should hire offseason skill consultants. Why not? How would that be a waste of funds?

ConnorMcNugesaitl

Sep 23, 2012
Tough choice on this one but Smith seems the most likely candidate to make a big impact this year.

Which is a bit sad.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
I think Nygard and Archibald will prove to be solid signings. Haas is a total wildcard. I think Smith and Granlund will prove disappointing.

Tyrolean

Feb 1, 2004
Any player new to the team that hasn't been poisoned by the stench of losing in previous year(s).

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
If Smith can play at his normal level then we're a playoff team. He's probably the most important of the new additions, followed by Neal then Archibald. Neal and Archibald combined should provide 30 more goals then what Lucic and Reider provided last year.

Tyrolean

Feb 1, 2004
If Smith can play at his normal level then we're a playoff team. He's probably the most important of the new additions, followed by Neal then Archibald. Neal and Archibald combined should provide 30 more goals then what Lucic and Reider provided last year.
I have concerns that Smith is over 37 and at an age where the wheels can fall off anytime.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Markus Granlund.

Hopefully finds a niche here as a good two way PK forward who puts up a good 30-or-so points and convinces his brother to sign here next summer.

Faelko

Aug 11, 2002
Josh Archibald. Been watching quite a few Arizona games and he's the kind of guy that NEVER quits, I'm pretty hopeful he'll be a great addition to our bottom 6.

Yep, my thoughts exactly. I think he'll put up 10g and be a force on the PK. Good hard working player.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
Cam Hebig is the new Guillaume Latendresse. Who? Thats right. Players that look great by my eye and no one puts any effort into developing or cares about at all. Why cant this type of player be a good NHLer? Oilers really should hire offseason skill consultants. Why not? How would that be a waste of funds?
Hebig has a long way to go to even get close to the NHL

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
Mike Smith. I have high hopes for him because without him playing well Koskinen gets most of the starts and we have seen what happens then.

Smith plays well and is healthy we have a fighting chance with league average goaltending.

Otherwise we’re out of it by Feb.

Reactions: Mr Positive

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->