Besides Bobrovksy, why are there no consistently elite goaltenders anymore

KoozNetsOff 92

Hala Madrid
Apr 6, 2016
Holtby isn't elite because of 1 bad regular season? The 3 previous seasons he finished 1,2,4 in Vezina voting, the best record in the league. Combine that with some of the best playoff stats of all time and how is he not elite?

Reactions: JenniferH

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Why would there be?
He used to be very overrated around these here parts. I used to see multiple mentions of him every time there was a ''Who are the top-10 goalies in the league?''. Mostly by non-Sharks fans, who saw he played on a strong team, that's been in the playoffs every year he's been there and even the cup finals once (he played great that playoffs, I'll give him that) and think ''Well! The Sharks must have a star goalie then!''. They used to overrate Niemi for the same reasons when he was on the Sharks. I'm sure the fact he won the cup as a starter for another team also helped fuel that.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Damn, no love for Quick.
Hasn't had many great years in the last 5 or 6 (just last year), but hasn't had a bad season since the lockout shortened one (Price was bad that year, so was Luongo and James Reimer and Ray Emery were really good, if that tells you anything about how fluky that year was).

He used to be very overrated around here, but now he's kind of underrated around here. I feel Rask gets talked about more than him, and I don't feel like Rask is better than him at all.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
problem is your talking against nostalgia too.

People only remember the good plays and forget the struggles and inconsistencies are forgotten with time.

like Hasek's 2.83 GAA in '96, or Roy's brutal .894/3.20 '93 season
Hasek had a league leading .920 save percentage in 95-96 when he had the 2.83 GAA. I can't find what the league average was that year, but Hasek still led the league in save percentage that year. The 95-96 Sabres were easily the worst team he ever played and GAA is a team stat.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Holtby is the only active goalie with a Vezina and Stanley Cup. 2x post-season all star selection. 92% save percentage in regular season and playoffs.

He's the sport's best goalie and closer to being a HHOFer than you may think.
I was just thinking about this after a discussion I was having last night about whether or not Price is on track to be in the HOF. I don't feel that Price is quite on track to become an HOF goalie, but he's still only 31. I think the only active goalies that are probably in the HOF if they retired today are Lundqvist and Luongo, and I'm actually iffy on if they'll even put Luongo in. Fleury might get in if he gets to 500 wins.

So then I'm thinking about Holtby and I actually think Holtby is closer to the HOF than Price at the moment.

I do think Jonathan Quick is on track for the HOF right now, which always opens up a gigantic can of worms here. He'll probably win over 400 games and be the most winning American born goalie of all time (Vanbiesbrouck is currently the most winning American born goalie with 374 wins. no cups and one Vezina and he's not in. Barrasso has 369 wins and two cups and a Vezina as a rookie and Calder Trophy, and I think he owns the points record for goalies and isn't in) and Quick also already owns the record for most shutouts among American born goalies. We can debate whether he's HOF caliber, but we all know the committee will take those accolades into heavy consideration.

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
He used to be very overrated around these here parts. I used to see multiple mentions of him every time there was a ''Who are the top-10 goalies in the league?''. Mostly by non-Sharks fans, who saw he played on a strong team, that's been in the playoffs every year he's been there and even the cup finals once (he played great that playoffs, I'll give him that) and think ''Well! The Sharks must have a star goalie then!''. They used to overrate Niemi for the same reasons when he was on the Sharks. I'm sure the fact he won the cup as a starter for another team also helped fuel that.
I agree that he is overrated. He plays for a team that plays a solid defensive system. Jones is nothing special.

Reactions: Bleedred

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017

People only remember the good plays and forget the struggles and inconsistencies are forgotten with time.

Those guys were great goalies in their era but the position overall has improved drastically since then.

paragon

May 5, 2010

Not sure if serious. Normally I can easily tell what is sarcasm and what is not, but there are some seriously stupid people on these forums, so sometimes it's hard to tell.

Back in '93 Belfour won the Vezina after .906 season, so .894 was far from brutal. It was good enough to land him the 6th spot in the Vezina race. That year Tom Barasso was 2nd in Vezina votin after posting a .901 season. Also back in '96 Hasek had the best save% in the league.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Last year was the only season where you could say Holtby wasn't elite. Otherwise, he's been consistently among the top 5 to 7 goalies in hockey for the past handful of seasons.

Kuz

May 11, 2015
Just leaving this here.

Yeah he have had a couple of solid seasons now as a starter its just that he still has few seasons to fall back on and has only played 179 games and its also not like savepercentage is the best measurement for who the best goalie is.

Like Gibson is tied with Grubauer at 0.923 for goalies with above 100 games and I dont believe Grubauer is a top 2 goalie in this league. Then you have Raanta tied at 0.922 with Rask. Rask has been on his way down the last few seasons with 3 seasons around 0.915 in a row. For example Rask after the 13/14 season had an average of 0.928 with 196 games played. So its not like Gibsons 0.923 is insane that early in his career, but if he keeps it up he will gain more and more recognition as he already is one of the best goalies in the league and he just need his teams to win more to have a shot at the Vezina. He was up there with Rinne, Hellebuyck etc, but didnt have the wins needed to compete.

It also should be said that Anaheim is probably one of the better places to get a high save percentage. Ryan Miller had a really strong backup season and posted a save percentage he only have had higher than once before.

Last edited:

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
He was up there with Rinne, Hellebuyck etc, but didnt have the wins It also should be said that Anaheim is probably one of the better places to get a high save percentage. Ryan Miller had a really stong bacup seasonand posted a save percentage he only have had higher than once before.
Difference being that Anaheim was an unmitigated disaster defensively last year.

But I wasn't using that tweet to necessarily assert that Gibson is the undisputed number 1. Just that he's been pretty consistent.

T REX

Feb 28, 2013
Holtby is money in the playoffs.

Vasy is going ot be an ELITE goalie.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad