Besides Bobrovksy, why are there no consistently elite goaltenders anymore

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
Like where is this eras Brodeur, Hasek, or Roy?

Lundvquist use to fit this category but he's simply too old now. Holtby was getting there and just became inconsistent as well. Price fell of a cliff a while ago and besides that can anyone name a truly elite goalie?

The future looks bleak for goaltenders because you don't see any young up and comers who are dominating the league. Is this just a poor era for elite goalies?

Price and Holtby were Vezina finalists two seasons ago.

Hasek is the greatest goalie ever.

Roy struggled between '94-'96.

Brodeur had below average regular seasons in '99, '01, '02 and the tail end of his career.

Bobrovsky struggled through injuries and bad play in 2015-2016.

There are several real promising goalie prospects.

I don't get any single bit of this post.

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017

Lundvquist use to fit this category but he's simply too old now. Holtby was getting there and just became inconsistent as well. Price fell of a cliff a while ago and besides that can anyone name a truly elite goalie?

The future looks bleak for goaltenders because you don't see any young up and comers who are dominating the league. Is this just a poor era for elite goalies?
How is Bobrovsky more consistent than Holtby. Holtby had 3 consecutive 40 wins seasons. Last season he was 34-16-4 which is decent numbers considering it was an off year for him. Outside of wins Holtbys other numbers are only slightly better than Bobrovskys. The big difference is playoffs. Holtby has been outstanding in the playoffs and has a Stanley cup. Bobrovsky hasn't won a playoff series. Im pretty sure he has never given up less than 3 goals in any playoff game. That's not consistency.
It is hard to judge a goaltender because so much has to do with the team in front of him.

Reactions: JenniferH

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
When you play a

But the last two years Columbus ended up playing the eventual Stanley Cup winners in the first round. Kind of hard to pad your stats facing that quality of competition.
So what. Holtby had to face the Pens 3 years in a row. The past 3 seasons Holtby won a cup and lost twice to the eventual cup winner. And he hgasd still managed to out up some excellent playoff numbers. Your argument doesnt hold water.

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
Tuuka Rask has probably the most consistent stats
His stats always end up pretty good but is a very inconsistent goalie. He is very streaky. To the point that he will look good and then bad in the same game. Last night was a perfect example.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
No love for Martin Jones anymore?

Lacaar

Jan 25, 2012
Edmonton
Systems and team play are more important than actual goalie skill when you just look at numbers like GAA and save percentage.

Before the equipment ballooned up and ultra defensive systems kicked in the goalie could single make a difference over the course of years. Consistently propping up poor teams etc.

Now days goalies can give you a good stretch but eventually they come back to the norm. Especially as their team degenerates... see Carey Price.

Lonewolfe2015

Rom Com Male Lead
Sponsor
Dec 2, 2007
Lundqvist and Luongo were the last crop of consistently elite goalies, we're waiting to see if this generation's best can string together several seasons or just a bunch of great seasons amongst other good ones.

Reactions: Bleedred

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011

I don't consider it ''Inconsistent'' if a goalie just has one bad season, like the season Price and Holtby (Regular season for Holtby) just had last year. If it happens again, then it becomes a trend. Much like our very own Cory Schneider, who looks just about toast at this point, after two consecutive poor seasons.

And if you say that Price and Holtby aren't consistent, Bobrovsky just had a poor season 3 years ago.

Gibson and Crawford have been very consistent (unless you hold 7 years ago against Crawford). Gibson is just very injury prone, but I'd absolutely consider him a top-5 goalie, as he plays like one when he's actually on the ice. Crawford also just came off a major injury and hasn't played in almost a whole calendar year.

Even Brodeur and Hasek had kind of off-ish years in their primes, Roy too. Hasek's first year in Detroit on a cup team was a significant step back from when he played for a much worse team in Buffalo. Brodeur's late 90's/early 00's seasons were pretty average.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Lundqvist and Luongo were the last crop of consistently elite goalies, we're waiting to see if this generation's best can string together several seasons or just a bunch of great seasons amongst other good ones.
Luongo is still playing very well. He had a couple of off-ish seasons in his prime too, but he had an amazing year last season at 38 years old.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I do believe we're at an era where there isn't a ''Top-20'' or possibly not even a ''Top-10'' ranking of goalies. There's probably less than ten goalies that are elite, then about 15-20 or so starters that are average and interchangeable, then there are probably a half a dozen starters that belong in the bottom of the barrel.

I'd say the top ones (in no order) are Bobrovsky, Price (unless his poor play last year continues this year), Holtby, Crawford, Fleury (has been one of the best starters since 2014, even with a mediocre 16-17), Gibson. I think Quick probably deserves a mention. Some of his years haven't been amazing (last year was), but he hasn't had any bad years since the lockout shortened season. Outside of Crawford, there really isn't any other goalie in the league that can say that, at least not out of guys who were already in the league by that season. I think Luongo probably still deserves a mention in this group, at least as of right now. Lundqvist's last two seasons (last year he was fine, kind of mediocre the year before) might move him out of that group for me. He's borderline.

Then you have the bottom of the barrel starters, which are pretty easy for me. Jimmy Howard (one good, random, injury shortened year since 2013), Brian Elliott (has always sucked sans Hitchcock), Carter Hutton (I don't buy him as a stater, despite two consecutive strong backup years), Jacob Markstrom (he's not a starter on an average team), Mrazek/Darling (both suck), Craig Anderson (37 and was putrid last year. The end is near) Cory Schneider (he's shot, two straight garbage seasons, coming off hip surgery, doesn't deserve the benefit of the doubt anymore). Jake Allen deserves an honorable mention in this group. I feel like Mike Smith and Martin Jones might also be closer to this group than anything, but both are still pretty average.

Everyone else (starters) belongs in a group where they're interchangeable and have little to no difference. And that includes Pekka Rinne for me, who's had two consecutive good seasons, but they're his first consecutive good seasons since before the last lockout. And that also includes Tukka Rask, who hasn't had anything better than a solid season in 3 years and has been pretty average ever since. even though people still talk him up as elite.

JenniferH

Holts Did It
Nov 7, 2013
Georgia

Holtby had two months where he wasn't at his best last season, other than that he was dealing with a porous defense and faced more high-danger shots than any other goalie in the league, it was *because* of his skill as a goaltender (+ Ovi and strong offense) that the Caps stayed at the top of the Metro the first half of last season. And then it was Holtby behind Ovi/Kuzy who was the best player on the Caps in the Playoffs. Other than that, he's been ridiculously consistent throughout his career. I don't know even know what you're talking about. A few months of a slump does not even remotely count as inconsistent.

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
Holtby had two months where he wasn't at his best last season, other than that he was dealing with a porous defense and faced more high-danger shots than any other goalie in the league, it was *because* of his skill as a goaltender (+ Ovi and strong offense) that the Caps stayed at the top of the Metro the first half of last season. And then it was Holtby behind Ovi/Kuzy who was the best player on the Caps in the Playoffs. Other than that, he's been ridiculously consistent throughout his career. I don't know even know what you're talking about. A few months of a slump does not even remotely count as inconsistent.

problem is your talking against nostalgia too.

People only remember the good plays and forget the struggles and inconsistencies are forgotten with time.

like Hasek's 2.83 GAA in '96, or Roy's brutal .894/3.20 '93 season

b in vancouver

Jul 28, 2005
Rask. Probably the most consistent among the elite. (cough: funny saying this after last night)
Holtby is right there also.

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
Bobrovsky is a very inconsistent goalie where it matters the most, in the playoffs

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
I don't think it's that there are less greater talents so much as there are more above average talents in the NHL.

There are more than 31 goalies good enough to be a starter in this league imo. It's not the talent's disappeared, it's that the talent GAP has. The better the average, the harder it is to stand out by comparison.

I think it's pretty obvious from watching that goalies throughout the league are better than ever on average, and based on pure ability, probably better than ever at the top except maybe Hasek.

Reactions: maacoshark

Asheville

Feb 1, 2018
Holtby is the only active goalie with a Vezina and Stanley Cup. 2x post-season all star selection. 92% save percentage in regular season and playoffs.

He's the sport's best goalie and closer to being a HHOFer than you may think.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad