Berube's Future with the Blues

What is Craig Berube's fate after this season?

• Miss playoffs, extension as HC

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Miss playoffs, sent back down to coach AHL team

• Blues hire Quenneville, Berube walks

• Total voters

mk80

Jul 30, 2012
I think if Berube can not only take this team to the playoffs but get them to make some noise there, he's a lock for the position moving forward. I think taking into account his success with the Wolves and how he was a coach other teams were calling about, his success so far, etc. I think he's got what it takes.

Personally he's the right combination of Hitch and Yeo. He knows when to push guys, and when to lay off. At the moment, I'd hope that Armstrong and co. are still doing their due diligence and compiling tha candidate list, hell even interview a couple before just signing the dotted line on Berube's contract.

m1a2lt

Jul 13, 2009
Why can’t I just remove the “interim” tag and give him one year?

STL BLUES

Youth Movement
Oct 22, 2013
Up-Nort
Stillman has got to be the happiest Blues fan in the world and isn’t known for change for the sake of change. Q is not coming back. Army has a guy that fits his personality to a tee. Definitely need an Assistant Coach that understands how to construct and utilize the bench for the PK & PP.

The known is better then the unknown.

ItsOnlytheRiver

Mar 25, 2010
Because we have had President Trophy Coaches in the past and NOTHING to show for it. If he puts a 10 game win streak in the playoffs, I rename the Arch after him.
Unfortunately for you, that isn’t an option. That’s why the answers should be simple like “not extended” “1-2 years” “3-4 years” and then we can give our explanation why.

Reactions: GoldenSeal

GoldenSeal

Believe In The Note
Dec 1, 2013
Out West
I want an option that says "Hire a PP Coach for Chief" because right now that's our missing piece, Army, get to it!

Robb_K

Apr 26, 2007
NordHolandNethrlands
Stillman has got to be the happiest Blues fan in the world and isn’t known for change for the sake of change. Q is not coming back. Army has a guy that fits his personality to a tee. Definitely need an Assistant Coach that understands how to construct and utilize the bench for the PK & PP.

The known is better then the unknown.
Why are you 100% sure that Quenneville won't accept an offer from The Blues? I'd pursue him If I were Stillman or Armstrong, at least until I see good playoff results from Berube's team. If Berube wins at least one series, and has The Blues playing very competitively in the second (hard out), I'd give Berube a 2-year extension as head coach, as he'll have then proven he can succeed with this team, and he can be paid significantly less than bidding for Coach Q will cost. But, before then, I'd be holding off judgement. And if The Blues don't play well, and lose badly in Round 1, I'd go after Coach Q, and any other high-profile coaches that have successful NHL records, and also have a style that seems to be compatible with our team.

A Real Barn Burner

Apr 25, 2016
Went with win cup and five year extension if they are going to make me hope again I’m going cup or bust.

“Dam the negativity, full speed ahead!” My motto for the rest of the season!

Old Blueser

Jan 28, 2012
not saying Q's a dog, but winning Cups with Toews, Kane, and the contract-cheat all-stars, Keith and Hossa, isn't super impressive to me. Or maybe the Hawks are my least favorite sports team.

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2012
If Q wants the job then I would let him have it unless we make the SCF or something. Berube has done a very good job and I'm sure this run will allow him to get another head coaching job in the NHL quickly, but having a great coach is so important. Look at the Islanders. Their roster is fine, but they have no business being in second place in the Eastern Conference, third in the entire league.

It's just too big of an opportunity to let slip away based on a half season of good play. Q has decades of great results. If Q doesn't want the job then Berube is fine, but I think we can definitely do better.

Note Worthy

History Made
Oct 26, 2011
St. Louis, MO
Blues win the cup, five year extension.

Realistically, the Blues win a round, maybe two, and the Blues give him a one year extension if Q won't come here.

If Q won't come here then the answer for me is 100% an extension for Berube. But if Q has interest in the Blues you have to explore that. Berube has done great in this second half of the season but we're talking about a guy in Q that has won 3 Cups in the recent history and current style of the NHL. I just don't think you walk away from that because your interim coach had a great second half of the season.

ItsOnlytheRiver

Mar 25, 2010
Added a "Blues hire Q" response, but again I agree with everyone else that Berube's future is contingent on our playoff success this year.
It’s just a silly poll on a pointless message board so no need to make this a big deal, I’ll just make 2 points.

1. You are injecting your opinion into poll results which goes against the purpose of a poll to begin with.

2. What if I think the Blues will win a round and give Berube 5 years? Where’s my option? There are too many combinations here. Keep it simple.

Pizza!Pizza!

Sep 25, 2018
I'm surprised I'm the only vote that Berube ends up in Chicago (or Seattle). We had a similar situation the other year with Florida, interim coach turns team around, but then gets fired due to short sighted management and ends up coaching an expansion team in the SCF.

If Winnington were to get injured and the Blues go cold (and someone reminds Dallas/Minnesota that they're supposed to play like NHL teams) I could see them falling out of the playoff bracket and then letting Berube go in the off season.

It's hopefully not a likely scenario, but much stranger things have happened.

Vladdy the Impaler

Moar Sobotka
Feb 20, 2015
The Lou
It’s just a silly poll on a pointless message board so no need to make this a big deal, I’ll just make 2 points.

1. You are injecting your opinion into poll results which goes against the purpose of a poll to begin with.

2. What if I think the Blues will win a round and give Berube 5 years? Where’s my option? There are too many combinations here. Keep it simple.

I mean the whole point of a poll is to gauge opinions? There are endless options for Army after the season, I just supplied some of the more likely ones.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->