Berube's Future with the Blues

What is Craig Berube's fate after this season?

• Miss playoffs, extension as HC

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Miss playoffs, sent back down to coach AHL team

• Blues hire Quenneville, Berube walks

• Total voters

Vladdy the Impaler

Moar Sobotka
Feb 20, 2015
The Lou
Along with Binnington, Craig Berube deserves a lot of the credit for the way this team has come together over the past month and a half. I know it's still too early to definitively determine his future with this organization, but so far it appears that the guys love playing for him and the team chemistry is the best it's been in years. The passing and neutral zone play have just been off the charts, and Berube's utilization of the talent on this roster is something that our previous coach was never even close to achieving.

The fact that Berube pulled us out of the abyss and has us in a position to (dare I say it) potentially compete for 1st in the central division is absolutely astounding. Given that he is a legitimate candidate for the Jack Adams this year, what might his long term future be with the Blues? Is it contingent on simply making the playoffs at this point? Advancing past the first round?

Vladdy the Impaler

Moar Sobotka
Feb 20, 2015
The Lou
The Blues will 100% make the playoffs now so that's not a question. Really just depends now on what they do in the playoffs.

But he will be a candidate. The Blues are playing probably their best hockey that I've ever seen right now.

Agreed. Just wanted to avoid creating any bad juju...

ZigZagBluesFan

Sep 30, 2010
Barring a collapse and a no-show in the playoffs, I think Berube inks a 2-3 year extension.

If they make it to the WCF or *gasp* SCF, Berube needs to be locked up. If not I'd like to see them actually go through a coaching search, sit down with Berube, sit down with Q, and a few others and determine the best fit going forward.

That said, Berube's ability to apparently turn this locker room around and cut through the B.S. has been huge and he deserves definite consideration for the HC job next season and beyond.

Reactions: Vladdy the Impaler

PiggySmalls

Oink Oink MF
Mar 7, 2015
I, in no way would take away what Berube has done since taking over. He has no doubt made an impact. I feel like his biggest contribution is holding the players accountable and it is evident in how those players have responded.

Here is why I pump the brakes in Berube being the future HC. First I will admit that much of my basis is born from speculation but he was the associate HC all last season and up until he got the interim tag this season. My concern stems from why hasn’t he instilled this work ethic and accountability when he was in his previous role? Did Yeo stop him from wanting to bench players that were drag assing around? Now I have no idea how much freedom Yeo gave him or the other coaches when it came to managing the players but I can’t help but be concerned with that.

For me it all comes down to when the Blues start to lose a couple games in a row, how does he refocus the team. Plus how do they perform in the playoffs. How is his in game adjustments come playoff time. If he can find a way to out coach his opponent, even if they lose the series. Then I will be behind Chief on him losing the interim title.

Reactions: Dbrownss

Halak Ness Monster

Nov 11, 2010
St. Louis, MO
But he will be a candidate. The Blues are playing probably their best hockey that I've ever seen right now.

Yeah they're playing at a peak Hitchcock and Quenneville level.

Hard to ignore the amazing results. But also hard to ignore a lot of teams do well after midseason coaching changes. Not all teams but the Blues certainly responded to Yeo and Hitchcock taking over midseason.

I think Berube is definitely back if they beat Nashville in the 1st round. A first round exit may mean no extension.

The window is wide open this year and next. If Berube doesn't at least take some advantage of it by winning a playoff series then I think they could look elsewhere for someone who can in '19-'20.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
I, in no way would take away what Berube has done since taking over. He has no doubt made an impact. I feel like his biggest contribution is holding the players accountable and it is evident in how those players have responded.

Here is why I pump the brakes in Berube being the future HC. First I will admit that much of my basis is born from speculation but he was the associate HC all last season and up until he got the interim tag this season. My concern stems from why hasn’t he instilled this work ethic and accountability when he was in his previous role? Did Yeo stop him from wanting to bench players that were drag assing around? Now I have no idea how much freedom Yeo gave him or the other coaches when it came to managing the players but I can’t help but be concerned with that.

For me it all comes down to when the Blues start to lose a couple games in a row, how does he refocus the team. Plus how do they perform in the playoffs. How is his in game adjustments come playoff time. If he can find a way to out coach his opponent, even if they lose the series. Then I will be behind Chief on him losing the interim title.
I get the point you're making, but assistant coaches can only do so much, meaning: they can't go above the head coach. So Berube may not have been able to do or say everything he wanted to because ultimately, that was Yeo's job and he didn't want to step on his toes.

I'm just making a point, you may be right because I have no idea yet if he's the right guy or not. But I don't blame the assistants for the way the team looked under Yeo. Yeo didn't do his job well.

execwrite1

Mar 30, 2018
Berube facts - descendant of First Nations in Canada. Seventh all-time in NHL penalty minutes. First coach to lead St Louis Blues to Stanley Cup championship??

Berube has helped the Blues win games by changing their mentality to become more of a north-south team. There was never a shortage of talent, but now the direction of the action is straight toward the net with the kind of direct style more suited to the group's size.

Last edited:

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
Let's see how the season ends. He's swaying my vote but....I was convinced Yeo could get it done....

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
Right, the special teams just need to improve slightly. We are around 18th in the league for both PP and PK.

If we can get up to just 14th or so, I think that's good enough. And bring in an assistant in the Summer to help with the PP.

At least we're not Nashville, whose powerplay is dead last. No idea what's going on there.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Another thing to Berube, I'm not sure how it would work in the locker room for him to be "demoted" back to associate/assistant coach, so he'd probably be gone. I think it would be a good move to reward him and the players for working to recover the season. Maybe we don't invest that much in him, but whatever he did, he got the team playing complete games again. We went from a legitimate shot for Hughes to not legitimately challenging for 2nd in the division.

Robb_K

Apr 26, 2007
NordHolandNethrlands
I think he gets a 2-year extension, and we possibly try and upgrade the assistants.
With both The Power Play AND Penalty Killing units playing way under par for this team's personnel, you can bet there will be one or two new assistant coaches hired! That is one of the biggest understatements I've seen in a LONGGGG time!!! :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

Robb_K

Apr 26, 2007
NordHolandNethrlands
As far as the odds of Berube being extended (e.g. hired as "permanent" head coach), I think we have to wait and see how the team performs in the playoffs, and weigh that against which coaches are available, and willing to come to St. Louis. If Quenneville is available, I'd have to think carefully about grabbing him or hiring Berube, IF The Blues win no series. If The Blues win 2 series or more, I'd hire Berube. If they win just one, it might depend upon which team they beat. If they beat Winnipeg or Nashville, I'd hire Berube. If they just beat Calgary or San Jose 4 games to 3, I might go with Quenneville. But, Berube has done a great job with The Blues, when Yeo couldn't. He's a people person, and more likely to have better rapport with players than a heavy task master, and yet gets the respect a coach deserves that near peers laissez-faire young "players' coaches, like Davis Payne, often don't. So, Berube may have a lot longer potential run with one team than a coach like Hitchcock. My guess is that The Blues will play well in the playoffs, and Berube will be given a 2 or 3-year contract as HC.

Reactions: Girth Butcher

hullderko

Apr 21, 2015
Thank you Berube for the last 15 games or so where the team has finally played consistently good, especially the last few home games.

What are the contractual requirements to remove the "interim" title for at least this year? The current streak alone is grounds to do that, but would it require a 2-3 year minimum contract?

BrokenFace

Aug 15, 2010
STL
I just need to see the offense play well in the playoffs. I won't just look at goals but how our zone entries and chance quality look, especially our transition attempts. In the past our offense dried up too easily in the playoffs. Too much dump and chase and too many perimeter-only chances when we did have possession in the offensive zone. If whatever changes Berube has made translates to the playoffs then I'm all for an extension even if we lose in the first round.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
Yeo a month ago: "Phew, at least the Blues won't make the playoffs without me. Time to relax and step away from hockey for a bit."

Yeo this morning: "Let me check the standings to see if those guys are gonna get Hughes lol."

giphy.gif

Old Blueser

Jan 28, 2012
Berube checks a lot of boxes that I have wanted from a coach for a while. A sampling:

1) entrusts young players with a role and isn't quick to change it (10 game win streak helps of course)

2) seems to believe in line chemistry and doesn't switch things up in a knee-jerk fashion

3) related to the first two, seems to coach in-game with more confidence in the process, and doesn't overreact to a bad shift or two. I felt both Hitch and Yeo tended to panic if a player or line didn't do well on a particular shift, and started switching things around in game. If the coach is over-anxious, it's going to rub off on the players. Watching a guy like Sanford (and the team in general) head up, calmly making a short pass in his defensive zone to a player who can make a safer play up ice is an unfamiliar sight to me, and I think a lot of it is the players are confident they can play hockey and not get punished. The composure of the team right now is impressive.

I won't keep going but obviously he's fixed the defensive strategy.

A couple caveats. 1) Everything about the hiring of Yeo was a mistake, so it's easy to go up from there. 2) Berube coached some of these young guys (with great success) in the AHL so he already knew them and trusted them. 3) if we lose three games in a row everything I said above may evaporate (but I don't think so).

I am guessing we win at least a playoff round and he gets extended. Hopefully we aren't peaking early!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad