Berube

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Berube is in a terrible spot, I can't place a ton of blame on him. One thing that was supposed be apparent with promoting Berube and making Lappy an assistant coach was if any player ever mailed it, they'd have a tough time looking both of these guys in the eyes.

Or something.

But, promoting the assistant coach of the 'worst training camp ever' probably wasn't very prudent.

gto64dr

Jan 15, 2012
Terry Murray is in the system, he is an outstanding defensive coach. He has experience with the Flyers and was fired only because he lost in the Semi's. Back when we had high expectations.

Embiid

Off IR for now
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
If Berube can't rein in this group of gutless immature babies then he should be gone too. Again..this is a results oriented business. Tonight was a total FAIL on everybody's part. The team is out of control and it's his job to get it under control.

sobrien

RAFFLCOPTER
Jul 19, 2009
South Jersey
I feel like Berube lacks passion and fire in the locker room to turn this squad around. I don't get that Patrick Roy feel from him (not to put Roy on any type of coaching god pedestal) but I think someone like Lappy the team would respond better to, or Pronger...guys you respect, guys you've SEEN lay it all on the line for the team, and guys you don't wanna cross.

Embiid

Off IR for now
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
I feel like Berube lacks passion and fire in the locker room to turn this squad around. I don't get that Patrick Roy feel from him (not to put Roy on any type of coaching god pedestal) but I think someone like Lappy the team would respond better to, or Pronger...guys you respect, guys you've SEEN lay it all on the line for the team, and guys you don't wanna cross.

From some of the reports of when Berube was hired....they said some players weren't crazy about it. If it is among the so-called leadership group then that doesn't bode well. It seemed that Holmgren felt that Berube knew where the bodies were buried since he was already on the inside and hence could demand more accountability. Maybe it's backfiring....

ILoveStephanieBrown

Nov 6, 2012
From some of the reports of when Berube was hired....they said some players weren't crazy about it. If it is among the so-called leadership group then that doesn't bode well. It seemed that Holmgren felt that Berube knew where the bodies were buried since he was already on the inside and hence could demand more accountability. Maybe it's backfiring....

If I remember correctly, some players said that he used to be a guy they could joke with and let loose around. Maybe after seeing that side of him as an assistant for so long, they can't take him seriously.

StupidityKills

Dec 4, 2006
Edmonton, Alberta
If I remember correctly, some players said that he used to be a guy they could joke with and let loose around. Maybe after seeing that side of him as an assistant for so long, they can't take him seriously.

I can see that. I've worked with guys who have been promoted and it's hard to take them seriously sometimes when they go from being "one of the guys" to the boss.

PALE PWNR

Jul 10, 2010
Sewell NJ
keep-calm-and-fire-everyone.png

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
The hire was a joke by a GM lacking a plan.

Bingo. They say they planned on doing this...I highly doubt it. If you're looking at Berube to replace Lavi going INTO the damned season, JUST DO IT.

I think Snider ordered Homer to make Lavi go away ASAP, and the team was left with little choice.

Berube might be a good coach. But, the "fraternizing" stuff that was mentioned by players does give me pause. So maybe he would be a better choice for a fresh team, or something. I don't know, I'm spitballing, panicking, and gnashing teeth.

Toonces

They should have kept Shjon Podein...
Feb 23, 2003
New Jersey
Terry Murray is in the system, he is an outstanding defensive coach. He has experience with the Flyers and was fired only because he lost in the Semi's. Back when we had high expectations.

It was the whole "choking situation" thing from the 97' finals which got him canned. That team just wasn't very good either, after the top two lines at least.

I feel bad for Berube because he probably will make a good head coach somewhere, but he's in an impossible situation. Homer needs to go and Snider needs to step down, that's the only thing that's going to start and right this ship.

OzFlyers

Registered Boozer
Jul 3, 2011
Australia

He has done wonders with the Phantoms, they are at lest 500!

volpster31

Aug 6, 2006
cinnaminson,NJ
bottom line is if the flyers dont make the playoffs,homer and berube are both gone....hexy steps in and hires the coach of his choice(murray?) :yo:

rWoHockeyman88

Jul 7, 2010
Richmond, VA
bottom line is if the flyers dont make the playoffs,homer and berube are both gone....hexy steps in and hires the coach of his choice(murray?) :yo:

Not sure Hextall would bring up Murray. Wasn't he part of the staff who canned him in LA? I feel like this team needs better leadership. I miss Richards.....

dats81

Jan 22, 2011
Carinthia, AUT
We are always going for the easy explanation:

Bryz is the problem
Briere is overpaid
Lavi does not know how to teach defense
Giroux is playing poorly to turn out Lavi
Giroux is playing poorly because he is hurt
Homer is to blame for....everything...in especially for Giroux, Hartnell, Coburn, Schenn, Couts not growing any balls

I don't think it is a coincidence that it's always the new guys that look like they actually trying out there... something must be wrong in that locker room for them turning fat gutless lazy overpaid basterds.

Isn't Berube supposed to be the no BS guy? Why did it take Homer to come to the locker room during the second intermission yesterday to spark some emotions?
Berube seems to just always repeat the same stupid lines and tries to act tough in front of the media. Not impressed at all so far!

JustJim

Feb 20, 2012
Paignton,UK
Little bit tired of blaming the coaches for this

I'm sure most Philly fans know and hate Jerry Jones ( owner of the Dallas Cowboys). Well, Philly has their own version of Jerry Jones as the chairman of the Flyers.
This team will never succeed in anything they do as long as Ed Snider is there.
He is primarily responsible for all of the failures on this team. He's the one who endlessly gives a vote of confidence to people he appoints like Paul Holmgren.
Paul Holmgren is the absolute worst GM in the league, but Mr. Snider backs everything he does,then glares at the media when questioned about the many failures Holmgren causes.
I don't know how a team could go from bad to worse, but after watching last nights game, that is exactly what this team did.
The brawl was like watching the entire team throw a tantrum. Tantrums are for children, not fully grown, highly paid professional athletes. The Philadelphia Flyers are a poor excuse for an NHL team, and the blame is entirely on Ed Snider!

Qyburn

Apr 2, 2012
Allentown
All you need to do to see this team's problems is look at the first powerplay of last night. Giroux's running everything, even pointing at guys across the ice and ordering them who to pass it to so they can get it to him. And when he gets it? Immediate release, and easy block. Where does he get all this fiery confidence from when he has nothing to do with the puck when he gets it?

Obviously Berube's telling them keep it simple and get shots on net at ALL COSTS, and don't worry about anything else. Last night's score should tell you how successful an NHL team is in 2013 when they "keep it simple".

I watched the away feed and even the caps announcers mentioned it a number of times. They were almost laughing at the bone-headed simplicity of it.

Absolutely atrocious and unforgivable bungling to promote Berube to anything more than the interim HC. It's not 1989 anymore, chief.

Last edited:

PuqTalk

I love Cogliano
Jun 24, 2012
Texas
You guys are ridiculous. The players are the problem. Not the coach, not the manager, not the owner. The players need to step up. They need to stop crumbling when facing adversity. They need to show resiliency. They need to win games. Them and no one else.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad