Confirmed with Link: Berube signs 3 year deal (Friedman reports $3.1m per)

STL BLUES

Youth Movement
Oct 22, 2013
Up-Nort
Berube is a freaking genius.

A couple of years ago Peter Laviolette came up with his one guy high-up in the OZ scheme and he changed the game. Then when the Berube Blues played against Lav’s Preds Berube totally undressed his scheme.

Berube has changed the game going forward. There’s no doubt in my mind that teams are looking at the Berube model and are copying it. Scotty Bowman recently gave a speech titled; Hockey is a Copycat Sport.

The thing that impresses me most about Berube is he’s a complete package. He understands the game and is able to make changes on the fly. You might burn him with a strategy one game but the next game he’s got it countered. He’s has a total team buy-in. And just like Barry Trotz he has the personality that players glomp onto and are willing to go to the wall for. The only area that he must ultimately take responsibility for and clean up is the power play.

I can’t image the Blues will let today’s best coach in the NHL walk.

Pay the man!

elkranio

Jan 4, 2014
oxHw573.png

Alklha

Sep 7, 2011
The Berube and Binnington contracts were going to be the most difficult to work out just because of the unique circumstances and the recent rising coaches salaries. Good to already have one done within a couple of weeks of the season ending.

TK 421

Barbashev eats babies pass it on
Sep 12, 2007
Very happy with 3yrs. Let's get another ****ing Cup because we're a good ****ing team

I've been looking everywhere for Berube's pregame speech just prior to G7 that has the quote you just referenced, can't find it. Can someone help me out here?

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
I've been looking everywhere for Berube's pregame speech just prior to G7 that has the quote you just referenced, can't find it. Can someone help me out here?
Christiano whatever on Twitter probably has it. I watched it in ESPN+

ezcreepin

Dec 5, 2016
More context - here's the Cup-winning coaches either active or available:

-- Babcock, TOR (2008 - DET): $6.25 million per
-- Quenneville, FLA (2010, 2013, 2015 - CHI): $6 million per
-- Julien, MTL (2011 - BOS): at leats $4 million per, perhaps as much as $5 million per.
-- Trotz, NYI (2018 - WSH): reportedly at least $4 million per
-- Sullivan, PIT (2016, 2017): about $3 million per on his current deal, but that signed was before he won the 2nd Cup.
-- Laviolette, NSH (2006 - CAR): the best I can find, he's getting $2 million per through 2020-21.
-- Tortorella, CBJ (2004 - TB): was at $2 million per before his latest extension through 2020-21.

-- Sutter (2012, 2014 - LA): his last contract paid more than $3 million per; if he came back, he'd get at least that and probably more.
-- Bylsma (2009 - PIT): his last contract with Buffalo paid $3 million per.
-- Carlyle (2007 - ANH): I can't find what he was making when Anaheim canned him this year, but I think it's safe to say his head coaching days are probably over, so let's cross him off the list.

You could go on back to Bob Hartley (2001 - COL) I suppose; his last deal with Calgary paid about $2 million or so. But I don't know if Hartley gets another shot in the NHL, so I'll put him in the "won't be a HC again" pile with Carlyle.

So minimum, I think you're talking $3 million per for a Cup-winning coach unless it's someone who's a decade or so removed from winning. [Which applies unless you're Toronto, in which case you multiple market value by about 2 to make sure you get your guy.] Even if you want to use the "well, he really doesn't have much experience" line, Bylsma took over the Pens late and guided them to a Cup, and 3 years later was getting $3 million per from Buffalo. For everything he did to turn the team around this season and then guide it through the postseason, I think if you manage to get him under $3 million it's a steal - but I think if you try it you risk him talking to someone else and getting more than $3 million and decent term from someone who really wants to win soon.
What stands out to me is Bylsma. The circumstances in his first cup are interesting because he won a cup with a dynamite team and a good enough goalie. I think Binny is arguably better than Fleury at , but this team isn't nearly as good up front as the Penguins team. Defense is probably better, but the difference is coaches to me. Berube is obviously a much better coach than Bylsma, so I think his chances of repeating are higher than most coaches. If we sign him under 4 mil, then it's an absolute steal.

PiggySmalls

Oink Oink MF
Mar 7, 2015
Very happy with 3yrs. Let's get another ****ing Cup because we're a good ****ing team

I’d bet that was the hold up, a lot of cup winning coaches get 4-5 years. For him to agree to 3 makes me think Blues had to cough up a little extra to keep the term short.

Reactions: GoldenSeal

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad