Confirmed with Link: Berube signs 3 year deal (Friedman reports $3.1m per)

LGB51

2019 STANLEY CUP CHAMPION ST. LOUIS BLUES!
Oct 9, 2013
Arcola, IL
Nevermind I looked it up myself. I'm sure something will get done, it just might be more than Army wanted to spend.

Ted Hoffman

The other Rick Zombo
Dec 15, 2002
I was just about to come start a thread asking, "what would you give Berube for his next contract?"

Gut feel at the moment: it's gotta be $3 million a year at a minimum. Anything less, and there's a number of Cup-hungry teams who would jump on the chance to grab him and have him lead their team on a deep postseason run. There's no leverage here, other than "you must really, really like it in St. Louis" and appeals to emotion for winning the Cup. This is a bad time to try and be cheap; pay the guy.

Ted Hoffman

The other Rick Zombo
Dec 15, 2002
More context - here's the Cup-winning coaches either active or available:

-- Babcock, TOR (2008 - DET): $6.25 million per
-- Quenneville, FLA (2010, 2013, 2015 - CHI): $6 million per
-- Julien, MTL (2011 - BOS): at leats $4 million per, perhaps as much as $5 million per.
-- Trotz, NYI (2018 - WSH): reportedly at least $4 million per
-- Sullivan, PIT (2016, 2017): about $3 million per on his current deal, but that signed was before he won the 2nd Cup.
-- Laviolette, NSH (2006 - CAR): the best I can find, he's getting $2 million per through 2020-21.
-- Tortorella, CBJ (2004 - TB): was at $2 million per before his latest extension through 2020-21.

-- Sutter (2012, 2014 - LA): his last contract paid more than $3 million per; if he came back, he'd get at least that and probably more.
-- Bylsma (2009 - PIT): his last contract with Buffalo paid $3 million per.
-- Carlyle (2007 - ANH): I can't find what he was making when Anaheim canned him this year, but I think it's safe to say his head coaching days are probably over, so let's cross him off the list.

You could go on back to Bob Hartley (2001 - COL) I suppose; his last deal with Calgary paid about $2 million or so. But I don't know if Hartley gets another shot in the NHL, so I'll put him in the "won't be a HC again" pile with Carlyle.

So minimum, I think you're talking $3 million per for a Cup-winning coach unless it's someone who's a decade or so removed from winning. [Which applies unless you're Toronto, in which case you multiple market value by about 2 to make sure you get your guy.] Even if you want to use the "well, he really doesn't have much experience" line, Bylsma took over the Pens late and guided them to a Cup, and 3 years later was getting $3 million per from Buffalo. For everything he did to turn the team around this season and then guide it through the postseason, I think if you manage to get him under $3 million it's a steal - but I think if you try it you risk him talking to someone else and getting more than $3 million and decent term from someone who really wants to win soon.

Ted Hoffman

The other Rick Zombo
Dec 15, 2002
If Berube falls through, I'm sure Yeo isn't doing much now days or maybe tempt Hitch with a donut? :sarcasm:
For all the cracks about Hitch's weight, I'm pretty sure he's still smaller than he was in Dallas. Bruce Boudreau, on the other hand, ... I swear he's adding 15 lbs. every year.

execwrite1

Mar 30, 2018
Interesting.

Seems like it could be a revealing statement about how the Blues organization is going to approach spending going forward.

Stillman knows how to run a business and stay within a budget. If Berube is looking to score a home run here, there could be a problem.

Just like with players, the Blues probably have a price in mind and they aren't going to be held hostage by anyone. No one player or coach is bigger than the team.

Chief - take the deal and win another Cup in St. Louis.

Alklha

Sep 7, 2011
It's just part of the negotiation. It's highly unlikely there were any talks through the postseason, so the process is just beginning.

The issue that we have is the significant jump that coaches salaries have taken recently. When Ralph Krueger walks into Buffalo and is immediately getting almost $4m a year, why would Berube take less than that? Yeo was a low earning coach. Hitch was a low earning coach in comparison to what coaches are earning now.

I think he'll be looking for 5 years at $4m.

KingBran

Three Eyed Raven
Apr 24, 2014
Dude is a champ. Gambled with his talent and won. Didn't want a contract till the season was over and played it smart. Pay the man.

brokeu91

Jul 4, 2017
Rhode Island
giphy-facebook_s.jpg

Ted Hoffman

The other Rick Zombo
Dec 15, 2002
Another thought that came to mind this morning: between Armstrong's "I'm not firing another head coach" comment during the Berube announcement [which followed the same comment he made in his Yeo announcement] and his "list of 1" comment after the Dallas series, either you back the guy who just led the team to the Cup and give him a contract you're going to stand behind for the full term or you say "sayonara, we'll see you at some point in the '19-20 season when our teams play each other." Don't do this passive-aggressive, "well, I want to see him prove himself" shit and don't put him on a short leash that you're going to yank when things get bad again.

I can't imagine Berube is asking for $5 million plus, but if he's even at $3 million, write the f***ing check today unless he's looking for some lifetime appointment, a position after he decides to leave the bench, and the right to name his replacement when he goes.

execwrite1

Mar 30, 2018
Easy for us to spend the Blues money. I'll trust Stillman and Armstrong to make the right call. Not sure there's a huge demand for Berube after one half (hugely successful) season.

Rule No. 1 - don't negotiate against yourself. I wouldn't be using the Buffalo precedent as a model. Complete failure of an organization. If they want to overpay for coaches, that's their choice.

GoldenSeal

Believe In The Note
Dec 1, 2013
Out West
The guy took your Mike Yeo killed team and churns out a Stanley Cup in less than a year. PAY HIM.

I forgave Army for hiring Mike Yeo, but not if we lose Chief. Don't screw around with this.

Reactions: STLomacneko

GoldenSeal

Believe In The Note
Dec 1, 2013
Out West
Another thought that came to mind this morning: between Armstrong's "I'm not firing another head coach" comment during the Berube announcement [which followed the same comment he made in his Yeo announcement] and his "list of 1" comment after the Dallas series, either you back the guy who just led the team to the Cup and give him a contract you're going to stand behind for the full term or you say "sayonara, we'll see you at some point in the '19-20 season when our teams play each other." Don't do this passive-aggressive, "well, I want to see him prove himself" **** and don't put him on a short leash that you're going to yank when things get bad again.

I can't imagine Berube is asking for $5 million plus, but if he's even at $3 million, write the ****ing check today unless he's looking for some lifetime appointment, a position after he decides to leave the bench, and the right to name his replacement when he goes.

I really think it's either money or term. I can't see Chief asking for both, although bringing us home the Cup after firing Trash Yeo gives him one hell of a case for both.

KingBran

Three Eyed Raven
Apr 24, 2014
Hope the Blues don't go cheap now that they got a cup and just want to ride the wave till the fans stop showing up as much.

Alklha

Sep 7, 2011
Easy for us to spend the Blues money. I'll trust Stillman and Armstrong to make the right call. Not sure there's a huge demand for Berube after one half (hugely successful) season.

Rule No. 1 - don't negotiate against yourself. I wouldn't be using the Buffalo precedent as a model. Complete failure of an organization. If they want to overpay for coaches, that's their choice.
There isn't a huge demand because the other teams have coaches. This is a League that loves to recycle coaches, and if you've had success then you're going to get more than a second chance.

Buffalo is one example. Coaches salaries have taken a sigifincant move forward since Babcock signed in Toronto. How many coaches have won a Cup since then and signed a new deal? Trotz is the obvious one, and he got $20m over 5 years. I just wouldn't be surprised if that was the initial ask from Berube, but there will be a negotiation down from there. Term and dollars.

The point stands though... why should he take less than $12m total on the deal? $3m+ is becoming normal for coaches. While I'm sure he's always had a good salary, this is probably the first time in his career that he has the leverage for that kind of security.
I really think it's either money or term. I can't see Chief asking for both, although bringing us home the Cup after firing Trash Yeo gives him one hell of a case for both.
I don't think that term will be a major concern because 4-5 years is pretty much the most that coaches tytpically get in deals. If we look at Yeo, we relieved him of coaching duties and Philly came along and offered him a contract. Even if we moved on from Berube in a couple of years, another team would offer him a position and we wouldn't be on the hook for it.

Ted Hoffman

The other Rick Zombo
Dec 15, 2002
There isn't a huge demand because the other teams have coaches.
For now. If Berube hit the market, don't think that Winnipeg wouldn't seriously consider shit-canning Maurice [currently the 2nd-longest tenured head coach in the league at almost 5 1/2 years] in a heartbeat. I could also see New Jersey dumping Hynes, Minnesota kicking Boudreau, and even Vancouver and Arizona sending Green and Tocchet to the curb respectively. [That last one, ... depends on what teh analytics say.] If you've got a chance to upgrade behind the bench, you'll make room to do it.

Reactions: Alklha

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->