Bertuzzi will be able to play for Canada?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SChan*

I found this quote at http://www3.telus.net/worldcuphockey/2004page.html

Bertuzzi Still In World Cup Picture - Though there is no guarantee his suspension will be lifted before the World Cup, Hockey Canada president Bob Nicholson denies Bertuzzi is blacklisted from Team Canada as a result of his on-ice incident with Colorado Avalanche's Steve Moore

That would be a comedy if Bertuzzi is able to play for Canada, while finland's Karalathi can't. :lol:

Bicycle Repairman

Jul 1, 2003
Visit site
Nicholson can deny Bertuzzi is blacklisted, but the evidence is there if you read the comments of Wayne Gretzky. Can you say "Hot Potato"?

Bertuzzi blacklisted? That's probably the least of his worries at this time as he still faces possible legal ramifications arising from "The Incident."

All this speculation is supposing an unimpeded Bertuzzi would actually make the final roster. :joker:

Personally, I'd keep him out. I don't think his inclusion would make enough of a significant difference on an already strong team, and then there's the matter of Gary Bettman calling the shots on his reinstatement which doesn't sound like it's forthcoming anytime soon.

Vic Rattlehead*

deathbear said:
well before iginla turned it up another notch, bertuzzi was the league's best powerforward. he could help out any team in a big way.
Imagine a line of Iginla-Thornton-Bertuzzi? :bow: The power forward line.

wilka91*

May 5, 2004
19bruins19 said:
Imagine a line of Iginla-Thornton-Bertuzzi? :bow: The power forward line.

Looks pretty good. But what if they hate each other? Especially Bertuzzi and Iginla.

incawg

Mar 7, 2003
Canuckland
Visit site
wilka91 said:
Looks pretty good. But what if they hate each other? Especially Bertuzzi and Iginla.

Why would Iginla and Bertuzzi "hate" each other? All this discussion of infighting on team Canada is silly. When these guys put on the red maple leaf petty personal squabbles take a back seat...not that there is anything between Bertuzzi and Iginla in the first place.

Sethis

May 9, 2004
incawg said:
Why would Iginla and Bertuzzi "hate" each other? All this discussion of infighting on team Canada is silly. When these guys put on the red maple leaf petty personal squabbles take a back seat...not that there is anything between Bertuzzi and Iginla in the first place.

And how would you know that?

incawg

Mar 7, 2003
Canuckland
Visit site
Sethis said:
And how would you know that?

How would I know what? That these guys are professionals and put their country before petty personal issues? That one is pretty much a given. Or that Iginla doesn't hate Bertuzzi? You might as well claim that Iginla hates Sakic because it's just as illogical. The burden of proof isn't on me; I'm not the one making a silly claim.

deathbear

Jul 8, 2003
Manitoba
Visit site
incawg said:

How would I know what? That these guys are professionals and put their country before petty personal issues? That one is pretty much a given. Or that Iginla doesn't hate Bertuzzi? You might as well claim that Iginla hates Sakic because it's just as illogical. The burden of proof isn't on me; I'm not the one making a silly claim.

yes, thank you.

The Frugal Gourmet

Mar 3, 2002
New York, New York
Visit site
I personally think Canada should not even *invite* Bertuzzi to the event, regardless of whether not he is able to attend by the rules. Having this guy spotlighted in an international competition so soon after the horrid events he participated in would be a huge distraction and make Team Canada look terribly tacky. I personally would like some more time to let this one simmer down, and I think it would be pretty unpleasant to watch him skate for a world championship if it comes down to that.

There will be other international events for him to participate in, but Canada shouldn't even consider playing him in this one. Too damn soon. The wounds are fresh in our collective psyche.

McThome

Aug 12, 2003
Edmonton
www.geocities.com
The Frugal Gourmet said:
I personally think Canada should not even *invite* Bertuzzi to the event, regardless of whether not he is able to attend by the rules.

Of course you don't - you're from New York - I don't think Hatcher should be able to play :dunno:

Pretty meaningless isn't it.

I DO however think Bertuzzi should be left OFF the team because although he COULD help, we have all offense/strength needed to win the tournament without him - when really, his STUPID penalties and undisciplined play could really come back to bight Canada in the arse.

The Frugal Gourmet

Mar 3, 2002
New York, New York
Visit site
thome_26 said:
Of course you don't - you're from New York - I don't think Hatcher should be able to play :dunno:

No. Actually, I don't think my argument was meaningless. I think it was pretty valid, actually. As I said, I don't think Team Canada should invite him. If I were a Canadian fan, I would not want Bertuzzi playing for my world cup team after being banned from the NHL because -- frankly -- I think inviting the sport's biggest black eye to the compeition would make Team Canada look pretty classless.

As far as Hatcher, I would love for him to sit for team USA because he sucks and he's been sucking for years. But, Hatcher is not the sport's greatest villain this year, whether this perception is fair or unfair. If he was, I sure as hell wouldn't want him putting a negative spotlight on a good World Cup team and competition.

stockwizard*

Iginla-Thorton-Bertuzzi

That is just too tempting for me to overlook.
I would love to see this line go up against the Sedins from Sweden.
I don't see any line in the world cup that could match that for power.
If Bertuzzi was 200 pounds instead of 245, Moore would have never been knocked out and we wouldn't be discussing this now.
Although I will say Bertuzzi isn't the smartest player in the world, so I do worry about the odd dumb penalty.
Let him play.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
The Frugal Gourmet said:
No. Actually, I don't think my argument was meaningless. I think it was pretty valid, actually. As I said, I don't think Team Canada should invite him. If I were a Canadian fan, I would not want Bertuzzi playing for my world cup team after being banned from the NHL because -- frankly -- I think inviting the sport's biggest black eye to the compeition would make Team Canada look pretty classless.

As far as Hatcher, I would love for him to sit for team USA because he sucks and he's been sucking for years. But, Hatcher is not the sport's greatest villain this year, whether this perception is fair or unfair. If he was, I sure as hell wouldn't want him putting a negative spotlight on a good World Cup team and competition.

Come on, that's a little harsh don't you think? I don't think you can be a Norris Trophy finalist and "suck." I realize people hate Derian Hatcher, but you have to admit, especially as a Stars fan, when healthy he's a real asset.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
thome_26 said:

I DO however think Bertuzzi should be left OFF the team because although he COULD help, we have all offense/strength needed to win the tournament without him - when really, his STUPID penalties and undisciplined play could really come back to bight Canada in the arse.

You're willing to overlook the Steve Moore incident eh? Incredible......... :banghead:

Knucklez

Jan 1, 2004
Behind the bench!
Visit site
Bicycle Repairman said:
Nicholson can deny Bertuzzi is blacklisted, but the evidence is there if you read the comments of Wayne Gretzky. Can you say "Hot Potato"?

Bertuzzi blacklisted? That's probably the least of his worries at this time as he still faces possible legal ramifications arising from "The Incident."
If the law hasn't done anything by now, don't expect anything to be done at all. When they take this long and start dicking around the way they are, it probably means they are going to do a thing.

McThome

Aug 12, 2003
Edmonton
www.geocities.com
Rabid Ranger said:
You're willing to overlook the Steve Moore incident eh? Incredible......... :banghead:

Not at all - I think it's a joke that he probably won't be charged as the criminal he is (that was a criminal act). Anyways, that wasn't the point of my post to dispute that - it was simply poking fun that you obviously don't want a top 10 player in the league on the opposing team..... it's like Flames fans not wanting Gretz on the Oilers (to a much lesser extent of course ;) )

Beakermania*

Iginla-Thorton-Bertuzzi

I imagine that line dumping the puck in the corner and some European defenceman going back to get it and crapping his pants. :eek: :eek:

Knucklez

Jan 1, 2004
Behind the bench!
Visit site
Beakermania said:
Iginla-Thorton-Bertuzzi

I imagine that line dumping the puck in the corner and some European defenceman going back to get it and crapping his pants. :eek: :eek:
Well, Iggy and Bert are both right wingers, so somebody would have to play their off wing, but we can dream :D

The Frugal Gourmet

Mar 3, 2002
New York, New York
Visit site
Rabid Ranger said:
Come on, that's a little harsh don't you think? I don't think you can be a Norris Trophy finalist and "suck." I realize people hate Derian Hatcher, but you have to admit, especially as a Stars fan, when healthy he's a real asset.

Dude, I've been watching him for years. He really has sucked for awhile now. The fact that he is a Norris Trophy finalist says more about the voters than it does about reality.

arrbez

bad chi
Jun 2, 2004
Toronto
The Frugal Gourmet said:
Dude, I've been watching him for years. He really has sucked for awhile now. The fact that he is a Norris Trophy finalist says more about the voters than it does about reality.

i agree completely. he's menacing in front of the net and whatnot, but he's certainly not the player he used to be

as for the "bertuzzi incident", whatever. there's been a thousand similar cases. the only difference is that moore was injured badly. sure, bertuzzi was wrong. but no more wrong that pronger, hatcher, havlat, and a number of other guys who have taken out frustration on the head of another player. you can (and should) blame bertuzzi for doing it, crawford for putting him on the ice, granato for having moore on the ice, moore for head hunting on naslund...but in the end, it was just a freak injury, and i think bertuzzi needs to be reinstated

rye&ginger

Jan 4, 2004
Vancouver
Knucklez said:
Well, Iggy and Bert are both right wingers, so somebody would have to play their off wing, but we can dream :D

I think Bertuzzi is a natural left winger. I've seen bios with him listed as such.

McThome

Aug 12, 2003
Edmonton
www.geocities.com
arrbez said:
i agree completely. he's menacing in front of the net and whatnot, but he's certainly not the player he used to be

as for the "bertuzzi incident", whatever. there's been a thousand similar cases. the only difference is that moore was injured badly. sure, bertuzzi was wrong. but no more wrong that pronger, hatcher, havlat, and a number of other guys who have taken out frustration on the head of another player. you can (and should) blame bertuzzi for doing it, crawford for putting him on the ice, granato for having moore on the ice, moore for head hunting on naslund...but in the end, it was just a freak injury, and i think bertuzzi needs to be reinstated

People like you who try to pass blame off of anybody but Bertuzzi make me sick. Moore isn't at all at fault in ANY WAY. He wasn't head hunting, he was finishing a check like a young guy HAS to if he wants to stay in the lineup of a tough team that REALLY doesn't need him to much. He did his job - he hit Naslund cleanly, and Naslund got hurt. It isn't Granato's responsibility to keep somebody who isn't going to start anything off the ice -it's Crawfords responsibility to keep somebody (Bertuzzi) who is going to do somethign stupid in the last bit of a game that's out of hand off the ice. It WASN'T a freak injury - freak injuries are when a guy is clearing a puck and it bounces off the glass into somebodies face - not when a powerforward skates up from behind a smaller player, grabs the back of his jersey, punches him in the head, then drives him down into the ice - that isn't a freak injury, that is assault and Bertuzzi should be charged (it was EVERY bit as bad as McSorelys stick incident).

arrbez

bad chi
Jun 2, 2004
Toronto
thome_26 said:
People like you who try to pass blame off of anybody but Bertuzzi make me sick. Moore isn't at all at fault in ANY WAY. He wasn't head hunting, he was finishing a check like a young guy HAS to if he wants to stay in the lineup of a tough team that REALLY doesn't need him to much. He did his job - he hit Naslund cleanly, and Naslund got hurt. It isn't Granato's responsibility to keep somebody who isn't going to start anything off the ice -it's Crawfords responsibility to keep somebody (Bertuzzi) who is going to do somethign stupid in the last bit of a game that's out of hand off the ice. It WASN'T a freak injury - freak injuries are when a guy is clearing a puck and it bounces off the glass into somebodies face - not when a powerforward skates up from behind a smaller player, grabs the back of his jersey, punches him in the head, then drives him down into the ice - that isn't a freak injury, that is assault and Bertuzzi should be charged (it was EVERY bit as bad as McSorelys stick incident).

man, why don't you read my post carefully? the only person i said should be blamed was bertuzzi. the others were mentioned as: "you can blame whoever you want, it doesnt change anything." kinda thingy. you dig?

and yes, it was a freak injury in the sense that bertuzzi wanted to fill him in, not break his neck. if he wanted to injure him severely, he could have used that stick in his hands. if bertuzzi wasnt so big, and 8 other players hadnt piled on, it would have just ended up with moore getting filled and bertuzzi getting a 5 game suspension. it was absolutely just about the worst possible result, BUT it (the injury) was in the end, a very unfortunate accident. it was not anything like the mcsorely incident, because mcsorely obviously intended to do damage in a serious, non-hockey way

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->