Injury Report: Bertuzzi week to week with mono

octopi

Dec 29, 2004
Please don't have drank from the same water bottle as everyone else.

DatsyukToZetterberg

Alligator!
Apr 3, 2011
Island of Tortuga
What is mono

"Mononucleosis, or mono, is often spread by saliva and close contact. It is known as "the kissing disease," and occurs most often in those age 15 to 17. However, the infection may develop at any age.

Mono is usually linked to the Epstein-Barr virus (EBV), but can also be caused by other organisms such as cytomegalovirus (CMV)."

Hoping someone else goes down for a while (Nothing serious though) and then Nyquist is up & everything is as it should be. :nod:

Z40

High Compete Level
Feb 10, 2012
Detroit
I hope Bert gets well, but this just opens a door for someone else. When we do have to eventually waive someone, I hope it's Emmerton and not Mursak.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
"Mononucleosis, or mono, is often spread by saliva and close contact. It is known as "the kissing disease," and occurs most often in those age 15 to 17. However, the infection may develop at any age.

Mono is usually linked to the Epstein-Barr virus (EBV), but can also be caused by other organisms such as cytomegalovirus (CMV)."

Hoping someone else goes down for a while (Nothing serious though) and then Nyquist is up & everything is as it should be. :nod:

It is highly unusual though to develop outside of the under 25 bracket. The other easy way I have heard though is the use of exercise machines that aren't cleaned enough have heard that from doctors. Maybe Bert's age is a reason for the short time period though as I would have expected out a month at least. Quine had this to start the year and was out for a couple months. When I had it I was down for a good couple months. The big thing is you are advised to do no physical activity for at least a couple of weeks generally. Seems likey to me that he is down until March. Would also guess this is a hard thing to get cleared for contact from because your liver generally is swollen as a side effect. Even after the month the disease is with you there will be a great deal of fatigue as you come off of it.

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
Wings really need to just drop someone

absolutely ridiculous that Bertuzzi's out for a month and Nyquist STILL can't play....

sarcastro

Jul 28, 2005
You hate to see anyone get mono, but they never should have extended him in the first place so as far as the on-ice product, I doubt there will be any negative impact.

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
watch the Wings get into like 10 shootouts while Bertuzzi's gone so people actually start to miss him then once he's back get into only 1 more shootout the rest of the season :laugh:

Outl4w

Dec 16, 2011
FL
More youth and speed in our line up might be a blessing in disguise. If Sammy gets hurt and we exchange Bert for him I won't complain. I like Bert 3rd/4th line for grit and some scoring over Sammy on 2nd.

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
More youth and speed in our line up might be a blessing in disguise. If Sammy gets hurt and we exchange Bert for him I won't complain. I like Bert 3rd/4th line for grit and some scoring over Sammy on 2nd.

Yeah, I think it would be a great idea to get our older guys slowly mixed into the lineup: Bert, Cleary and Sammy. Our defense has decent size and should be decent along the boards. So long as they can make the breakout passes our team speed should pay off.

icKx

Vanek 4 Prez
May 7, 2010
Intertubes
What is mono

Nasty virus that results in extreme fatigue. It's hard to explain just how tired and weak mono makes one feel but I spent the better part of a month just laying in bed every day. Had to drop all my classes.

Nothing the doctors can do really; just has to run its course.

Hckytwn

Don't do it Kenny...
Jul 9, 2010
Seattle, WA
Too bad for Bert, I know he was excited to get playing again... however, not sure if this is a negative for the Wings at this point. With any luck, some of the younger guys will get more ice time.

silkyjohnson50

Jan 10, 2007
Nasty virus that results in extreme fatigue. It's hard to explain just how tired and weak mono makes one feel but I spent the better part of a month just laying in bed every day. Had to drop all my classes.

Nothing the doctors can do really; just has to run its course.

In addition, rest is pretty much the best thing you can do because of a potentially enlarged spleen that becomes dangerous.

Motown Beatdown

Need a slump buster
Mar 5, 2002
Indianapolis
Visit site
Mono sucks, i had it high school and dropped like 25 pounds in a month. All you want to do is sleep. I hope Bert recovers quick but like someone already said it can enlarge the spleen which can be really serious.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->