Bertuzzi files for Arbitration (UPD: $3.5m)

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
1 bad contract is still just 1 data point.

With almost double digit teams interested, I am not sure the NHL front offices view that contract as bad as this place.

It might be why we keep hearing Mantha' s deal will be shorter. They might not like him at the long term number. I have zero issue paying Mantha long term though. I really don't see how someone with his talent comes in at the dream figures some are throwing around.

Reactions: Winger98

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
With almost double digit teams interested, I am not sure the NHL front offices view that contract as bad as this place.

It might be why we keep hearing Mantha' s deal will be shorter. They might not like him at the long term number. I have zero issue paying Mantha long term though. I really don't see how someone with his talent comes in at the dream figures some are throwing around.

I think Custance just had a piece on this? Getting NHL execs to weigh in on offseasons, and I made a point to read the Montreal one due to the Anderson deal.

One exec pointed out that trading for an RFA with one year left before UFA ties your hands to give the RFA exactly what he wants, otherwise you essentially traded for a one year rental. I'm thinking Columbus allowed teams to figure out exactly what Anderson was asking, and that Montreal was willing to take the gamble and had Domi to send the other way.

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
Looks like that's just a list of comparables of his old 2018 contract.

Not reflective of his current situation.

Yeah. But that website works for a shit ton of other things.
Their filter systems are fantastic. It's one of the few places you can filter for height anymore - something informative when everyone's talking about drafting a 5'8 center at 4th overall.
If they partnered with a good advanced stats partner, they'd have it all.
I'm paying elite prospects right now and I'm not sold I'll continue. But again - it comes down to their ability to put stats together and filter them in informative ways (D year, D-1, D+2 etc)

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015
Depends on their birthday's, Mantha has a late birthday so he's a UFA by age 28 Bertuzzi has a early birthday so he should be a UFA by age 27. Perhaps your right but i thought i read somewhere that Mantha has 2 years left as a RFA and Bertuzzi had 3 years left as a RFA.

Mantha can also hit the UFA market at 27YO. Unless they start clocking NHL seasons of more than 9 games before they turn 20 (IE Larkin), every player is eligible to hit the UFA market on the July 1st after they turn 27 (or that day if they actually turn 27 on July 1st).

Both Bertuzzi (2/24/95) and Mantha (9/16/94) can become UFA's after the 21-22 season. Anything longer than a 1 year contract will take them to unrestricted free agency.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
So are we thinking that Tyler signs before arbitration and for what numbers?

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
So are we thinking that Tyler signs before arbitration and for what numbers?

1-year: 4.20M
2-year: 4.66M
----------------- after 2 years he is UFA.
3-year: 5.03M
4-year: 5.46M
5-year: 5.71M
6-year: 5.89M
7-year: 6.22M
8-year: 6.33M

I wouldn't mind seeing him as our highest-paid player, because he is the hardest working guy there always + pain the ass extra against opponent. Imo, Bertuzzi has set the bar for our hard-working culture for a while already.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016

Do you think he signs before hand?

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA

I wouldn't mind seeing him as our highest-paid player, because he is the hardest working guy there always + pain the ass extra against opponent. Imo, Bertuzzi has set the bar for our hard-working culture for a while already.

He's not always the hardest working guy out there. A lot of people on here have commented that he's taken shifts, even whole games off. When he's engaged he's definitely a hard worker, but, only when he's engaged. As for highest paid player? He's a not even a guy that's been good for 50 points yet, lets pump the breaks on his paycheck. The last thing you want is Zadina or Raymond to pot 80 pts and point to the 6 million Bert is getting to be why they deserve 10+

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
He's not always the hardest working guy out there. A lot of people on here have commented that he's taken shifts, even whole games off. When he's engaged he's definitely a hard worker, but, only when he's engaged. As for highest paid player? He's a not even a guy that's been good for 50 points yet, lets pump the breaks on his paycheck. The last thing you want is Zadina or Raymond to pot 80 pts and point to the 6 million Bert is getting to be why they deserve 10+

When Zadina and Raymond are potting 80 points, they are 10-15M players and Bertuzzi is a 6M 3rd liner.

But thanks for your everyday negativity. That's the all you can give as a quarantee in here.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
That's a great strategy to return to the Cleary and Abdelkader days. You pay for talent and let the role players slot in afterwards.

I think Bert is a great player to have, and I hope they work out a 3-5 year deal at or under $5M AAV. But he has zero business getting paid like Larkin, let alone more (even though Larkin's contract is a good deal).

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
That's a great strategy to return to the Cleary and Abdelkader days. You pay for talent and let the role players slot in afterwards.

I think Bert is a great player to have, and I hope they work out a 3-5 year deal at or under $5M AAV. But he has zero business getting paid like Larkin, let alone more (even though Larkin's contract is a good deal).

It's just relative caphit staying same, after cap goes drastically up.

You guys don't understand mathematics. Larkin will get more money after 2023 and so on.

I predict also a short deal for Bertuzzi, let's go with 1-year, so we don't have to waste time with just speculating for these long-term scenarios.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
It's just relative caphit going up, after cap goes drastically up.

You guys don't understand mathematics. Larkin will get more money after 2023 and so on.
I get that. I'm saying that Bert is currently worth $4M, not $6M. He's a middle six winger who happens to play well with a couple of better players. A nice asset, but nothing special.

And there's no guarantee that the cap will be going up at all for a few years, let alone drastically.

Reactions: ZDH

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
It's just relative caphit staying same, after cap goes drastically up.

I predict also a short deal for Bertuzzi, let's go with 1-year, so we don't have to waste time with just speculating for these long-term scenarios.

He shouldn't get more money than Larkin or Mantha. He's played well enough on the first line of the worst teams the NHL has seen over the last couple years, but that doesn't mean he gets a pay day. And if he wants one its better to move on than to pay a role player like a core player.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
I get that. I'm saying that Bert is currently worth $4M, not $6M. He's a middle six winger who happens to play well with a couple of better players. A nice asset, but nothing special.

And there's no guarantee that the cap will be going up at all for a few years, let alone drastically.

There also isn't also any quarantee, that stock market would never go up. But it goes. And you can speculate it goes, because it's most probable it will go.

This corona-shit is told be over at next summer, NHL will raise from that hole in one plus season, after one minus season. And then the big TV-deal years are hitting in. Just like planned earlier. The rise just will happen from lower levels that 88M at 2023, thanks to Corona.

I could see Bertuzzi taking a long-term deal for 6.15M 6-7 years, and being the highest caphit (not paid) player...

...for two weeks, until Mantha will sign his 6.2M 3-year deal.

Ricelund

̶W̶e̶ ̶l̶i̶k̶e̶ ̶o̶u̶r̶ ̶t̶e̶a̶m̶
Apr 16, 2006
New York, NY
No one here expects Bertuzzi to get an 8 year deal, Maximum i see is 5 years at around $4.5 mil per.
I was responding to Henkka:

FMichael

Dec 22, 2010
Wisconsin
Do you think he signs before hand?
If Yzerman likes him, and feels lil’Bert is part of the future - then I’d say he’ll be signed to a 5 yr deal (or possibly longer).

If he gets to arbitration - then chances are he’ll get rewarded a 2 yr deal which will then see him hit UFA.

I believe both sides could still work out a deal after arbitration if they want to.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
If Yzerman likes him, and feels lil’Bert is part of the future - then I’d say he’ll be signed to a 5 yr deal (or possibly longer).

If he gets to arbitration - then chances are he’ll get rewarded a 2 yr deal which will then see him hit UFA.

I believe both sides could still work out a deal after arbitration if they want to.
There have been multiple cases that were settled after the hearing but before the verdict. I can't find a single case where a deal was worked out after the verdict, and I checked the last 12 years. In theory it can happen though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->