Bertuzzi files for Arbitration (UPD: $3.5m)

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
Usually these didn't mean a thing.

Going to arbitration just made offer-sheets unavailable. So it's good for the team.

Think Bertuzzi will be signed normally, before any arbitrations.
Agreed.

These are usually indicative of nothing other than a player's agent having them file before the deadline (which is tomorrow) just in case. Better to have the option and not need it than not file and regret it.

Reactions: golffuul

FMichael

Dec 22, 2010
Wisconsin
Pretty sure Bertuzzi has 3 years left, So after 2 years he's still an RFA.
I was under the impression that a player can become a UFA at the age of 27 (as of today he’s 25).

Unrestricted Free Agents (UFAs) are completely free to negotiate and sign a contract with any team without any penalties or restrictions, rights of refusal or compensation to their existing team. Players automatically become UFA when their contract expires if they are 27 years of age or older (as of July 1), or have 7 accrued NHL seasons. Players can also qualify for UFA status if they are 25 years of age or older, have accrued 3 or more professional seasons while signed to a standard player’s contract but have played less than 80 NHL games (or 28 NHL games for goaltenders). Other scenarios where a player becomes a UFA are (1) when RFAs are not tendered a qualifying offer by the team that owns their rights, (2) players that are undrafted in the three years they are eligible for the NHL Draft, and (3) drafted players who are not signed before their rights expire.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Yzerman lowballing him?

In short, probably, and Bert doesn't want negotiations to drag out. Teams are usually reticent to go before an arbitrator because they have to bad mouth their own guy, and no one wants to do that and then expect them to go out and play for you. Maybe it lights a fire under negotiations and something gets done, maybe it sets up Bert walking in a couple of years.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
No one is offersheeting either Mantha or Bertuzzi, Covid or not. Real offersheets don't happen anymore. This is probably just for preparedness reasons and I agree with those who say he signs a deal before the date, unless Bertuzzi is asking crazy money and term, which if that is the case, let him go!

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
No one is offersheeting either Mantha or Bertuzzi, Covid or not. Real offersheets don't happen anymore. This is probably just for preparedness reasons and I agree with those who say he signs a deal before the date, unless Bertuzzi is asking crazy money and term, which if that is the case, let him go!

We literally just had one last year...

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
We literally just had one last year...

Who? Aho? As if the Canes weren't matching that offersheet. If you want to steal a player you have to make it hurt, and Bergevin's move was barely a pin prick! When I say real, I mean one that actually has a shot to not be matched.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Evolving-hockey estimations for Bertuzzi:

1-year: 4.18M
2-year: 4.55M
3-year: 5.25M
4-year: 5.30M
5-year: 5.80M
6-year: 6.00M
7-year: 5.80M
8-year: 6.80M

Think we should try to go long-term, 5-6-7-8 years, and not going over 5.5M. Then he is kind of a bargain.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Evolving-hockey estimations for Bertuzzi:

1-year: 4.18M
2-year: 4.55M
3-year: 5.25M
4-year: 5.30M
5-year: 5.80M
6-year: 6.00M
7-year: 5.80M
8-year: 6.80M

Think we should try to go long-term, 5-6-7-8 years, and not going over 5.5M. Then he is kind of a bargain.

I think 3-5 is the best route. Hard to know where he will plug in, a few season from now. I feel he is more of a 2nd/3rd liner on a good/great team, and nowhere near a true 1st liner for anyone. He has great chemistry with Larkin and Mantha, but outside that he is better lower down the depth chart.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
I think 3-5 is the best route. Hard to know where he will plug in, a few season from now. I feel he is more of a 2nd/3rd liner on a good/great team, and nowhere near a true 1st liner for anyone. He has great chemistry with Larkin and Mantha, but outside that he is better lower down the depth chart.

5.5M is a 2nd line salary in future years.

Think he is the easiest no-risky piece to have, because he can go to any line. Cheking line or scoring line. Always doing his great things on board battles and not bad with the puck. Usually great at making plays.

He is our Ondrej Palat and being more nasty pest if needed.

The Real Pastafarian

Registered dipshit
Apr 4, 2020
Ohio (OH? IO.)
I love Bertuzzi and I think he's earned a pay day, but for the sake of the team, I'm hoping he signs more of a team-friendly contract.

Let's say: $4.6M per, for 5 years; no-trade no-movement clause for the first 3 years only.

That seems fair for both sides. He's a good player, but he's not a defenseman or a center, he's not going to put up 30 goals, and we need a few bargain contracts to help make up for all the horrible contracts.

RedMenace

Jul 24, 2006
www.ShattenkirksKrakenshirt.net
I think I'm more interested in the extra buyout this situation provides rather than what Bertuzzi will get paid.

From CapFriendly regarding arbitration buyouts:

Clubs whom have 1 or more arbitration filings may be permitted to perform a buyout outside of the regular window. This gives teams another opportunity to become cap compliant following an arbitration case.

Clubs are permitted to perform a buyout outside the regular period during the 48 hour period beginning on the third day after the final of [CBA 13(c)ii]:
  1. Settlement of the Club's final arbitration case, or
  2. Receipt of the Club's last arbitration award
Requirements:
  1. A buyout can only be performed on a player who was on the clubs reserve list at 3:00pm on the most recent trade deadline
  2. The player must have a cap hit of at least $4,000,000 for the 2020 offseason

Nielsen definitely fits that criteria.

Last edited:

Mlotek

Feb 28, 2017
South of US Border
look @ Component Importance section & adjust accordingly. The link above is the default, but I changed it to:

View attachment 371987

f*** that website has turned out great.
Didn't like it at first.
I'd pay $5/10 a month for it.
Although, looking at these numbers, I don't think they've got comparables where they need to be.

Looks like that's just a list of comparables of his old 2018 contract.

Not reflective of his current situation.

Last edited:

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

The Official Ghost of Space Ghosts Monkey
Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
$4.75 x 5 seems fair for both sides ($4.9max). He can still get a fatter & longer contract @ age 30. Mimizes the risk a bit for Wings on salary/cap & term.

I don't wanna pay Bert $5-6+ for 6-8 yrs. A lot can happen in that timeframe. I say this as someone who loves Bert & want him to be a lifelong Wing if possible.

Mantha, $4.9-$5.5 x 4-5 seems low, but I think it's fair enough. He hasn't proven he can stay healthy, has no 50pt. seasons (paced for is nice, but not actual production).

Last edited:

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
between 4-5 shmill and 4-5 years I think would be fair to Bert and the team. That would take him right to 29/30 and put him in line for one more big pay day as a UFA

GreatGordie9

May 11, 2019
Victoria, BC
between 4-5 shmill and 4-5 years I think would be fair to Bert and the team. That would take him right to 29/30 and put him in line for one more big pay day as a UFA
I feel both contracts will be no more than 5 years and expect by the end of month both will be signed.

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
I was under the impression that a player can become a UFA at the age of 27 (as of today he’s 25).

Unrestricted Free Agents (UFAs) are completely free to negotiate and sign a contract with any team without any penalties or restrictions, rights of refusal or compensation to their existing team. Players automatically become UFA when their contract expires if they are 27 years of age or older (as of July 1), or have 7 accrued NHL seasons. Players can also qualify for UFA status if they are 25 years of age or older, have accrued 3 or more professional seasons while signed to a standard player’s contract but have played less than 80 NHL games (or 28 NHL games for goaltenders). Other scenarios where a player becomes a UFA are (1) when RFAs are not tendered a qualifying offer by the team that owns their rights, (2) players that are undrafted in the three years they are eligible for the NHL Draft, and (3) drafted players who are not signed before their rights expire.
Depends on their birthday's, Mantha has a late birthday so he's a UFA by age 28 Bertuzzi has a early birthday so he should be a UFA by age 27. Perhaps your right but i thought i read somewhere that Mantha has 2 years left as a RFA and Bertuzzi had 3 years left as a RFA.

SirloinUB

Aug 20, 2010
Canada
It looks like his hearing is scheduled for October 25th but I wouldn’t be surprised if he is signed before then

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
$4.75 x 5 seems fair for both sides ($4.9max). He can still get a fatter & longer contract @ age 30. Mimizes the risk a bit for Wings on salary/cap & term.

I don't wanna pay Bert $5-6+ for 6-8 yrs. A lot can happen in that timeframe. I say this as someone who loves Bert & want him to be a lifelong Wing if possible.

Mantha, $4.9-$5.5 x 4-5 seems low, but I think it's fair enough. He hasn't proven he can stay healthy, has no 50pt. seasons (paced for is nice, but not actual production).

I don't see how Mantha comes in under 6 on a long term deal. He has to look at Josh Anderson and say I am a better player with less troubling injuries.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad