Player Discussion Bertuzzi and Domi

Should Treliving do whatever it takes to re-sign Bertuzzi and Domi?

• Total voters

LeafEgo

Oct 8, 2021
We don't have to decide until after the playoffs, so there's that.

Expecting good things we need to try and bring them both back. Domi shouldn't be too hard, not sure about Bert - both the connection and the odd year.

Next year's cap crunch will make things difficult overall, but I would look longer term and keep these players around, and continue to patiently build a connected group that will have the will to compete when it matters.

Reactions: slozo and Menzinger

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
They both certainly have been hitting their stride as of late. I'd still probably seek to wait until the playoffs go down though while fully understanding the pros and cons associated with that.

Eternal Leaf

Jul 4, 2011
Toronto
Definitely need to see what they do in the playoffs in this system.

Leafs are already carrying players that fold under the bright lights.

JEI

Jericho
Jun 7, 2004
I think Bertuzzi may price himself out of Toronto, but they should find a way to keep him.

Domi, for all his warts, is a benefit offensively and he's shown capable of playing higher in the lineup.

They both add necessary elements to this team.

Jmo89

Mar 21, 2010
Assuming they aren't trash in the playoffs I'd like to see them both back. Unless the price themselves out.

Next season is going to be a wash anyways. Resign them and they'll have 5 or 6 of the top 9 signed long term. I'd have liked for the core to be broken up but it's clearly not happening. No point in letting good depth walk. I also doubt they have the money for a significant improvement on D this offseason.

When Tavares expires solidify the defence and hope they win a cup over the next few seasons.

TMLegend

May 27, 2012
Somewhere
I'd like to keep both. It's a shame Bertuzzi has caught fire because I thought there was a shot the Leafs could have re-signed him at a discount back in January/February.

I'd do 3 x 4M for Domi and 4 × 5M for Bertuzzi.

Voodoo Child

Jun 16, 2009
He has been better of late but for Bert we can’t afford 5-6 mil of 25-30 good games a year.

Domi. He will be cheaper and he has the ability to gel with almost anyone.

Reactions: arso40

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
Would love to re-sign both. It’ll be tough financially though especially if we want to actually improve the blueline…

Would love to re-sign both. It’ll be tough financially though especially if we want to actually improve the blueline…
1711804327773.png

56 Years No Cup

New and Improved Username!
Nov 12, 2007
Leafs real cup window will be open after next season IMO, once the JT deal is off the books. In the meantime do what needs to be done to keep Domi/Bertuzzi, once that 11M albatross is off the books we can look to add a legitimate top pair defender, I believe that is what Tre/Shanny are thinking and it's a big reason why we didn't make a splash at the deadline this year.

While I love this team, i'm not optimistic about our cup chances this year. Plan should be to sign both of them and have a forward core of Matthews, Marner, Nylander, Domi, Bert, let JT and Brodie go which is 16M + whatever the cap rises by, use that money to fill out the blue line and THEN contend. Cowen will likely be coming in on an elc at that time as well, possibly Webber on the bottom pair on an elc at that point as well.
Unfortunately, as I have pointed out in other threads, those hoping for "that 11M albatross" to be off our books are going to be sorely disappointed. There's ZERO chance the Leafs don't offer the guy that's been their Captain for 7 years some type of contract. It's a bad look, and as we already know in Toronto it's not about winning, it's about Corporate Image.

He'll get 3 years @ around 5 million, which will take him to 37, then he'll retire. No chance he retires next year at 34.

Doesn’t Domi make 3 this year?
Shirley he’s due for a raise I would think.
Very likely. And don't call me Shirley.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: arso40

Frostitute

Feb 9, 2022
Northern Ontario
I'd say resign both as long as the deals aren't crazy. Domi is the type of heart and soul guy we've lacked and is versatile enough to play all three forward positions. Bertuzzi is a tough SOB LW. Nuff said. Make it work Tre!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad