Bertram to BC

Status
Not open for further replies.

TMHUNH

Feb 27, 2003
NH
Visit site
Top 05 Prospect, and former 2nd overall WHL draft pick, has committed to Boston College as a 17 year old for next season, meaning that unless they change the opt-in rule for NCAA, he will either now be an 06 prospect, or play one year and leave.

Thought it would be noteworthy for all the draft-watchers, as well as college and WHL fans.

How much of an impact do those who have seen him play think he will have stepping in at 17? I hear he isn't huge, will his size make it harder for him to opt-in and leave? assuming he can develop and get stronger in school before making the jump.

Puckz

Jun 22, 2003
Kelowna, BC
Visit site
He's going to have to get stronger and toughen up... From what I remember, could be wrong of course, but he left Dub Camp last year because he was getting beat up too bad. His style definitely isn't an extremely aggressive, grinder, and so it shouldn't for a 2nd overall pick, but he's definitely going to have to learn how to play with the bigger boys and stand up if he hopes to make the show.

Slats432

Jun 2, 2002
hockeypedia.com
I read an article yesterday about the issue spearheaded by Dave Poulin the coach of Notre Dame. The feeling I got was that it was possible that a change would be made for this year.(Wes O'Neill etc) But it sounded likely that it would be changed for next year. (The impression I got from reading the article.)

Here is one article.
http://insidecollegehockey.com/7Archives/News/optin_0225.htm

And here is the other.
http://www.usatoday.com/sports/hockey/columnist/woodlief/2004-03-19-woodlief_x.htm

Saprykin Fan

Sep 8, 2002
Visit site
hey

i know bertram personally, and i do not see how he will survive in the ncaa, but i do see how he will do very well with his speed, hope my brother doesnt catch him with his head down lol

AE12

Dec 6, 2003
MI
Visit site
TMHUNH said:
Top 05 Prospect, and former 2nd overall WHL draft pick, has committed to Boston College as a 17 year old for next season, meaning that unless they change the opt-in rule for NCAA, he will either now be an 06 prospect, or play one year and leave.

Thought it would be noteworthy for all the draft-watchers, as well as college and WHL fans.

How much of an impact do those who have seen him play think he will have stepping in at 17? I hear he isn't huge, will his size make it harder for him to opt-in and leave? assuming he can develop and get stronger in school before making the jump.

I've seen Bertram play and going to BC from Canada may not be the best way to the NHL.
Bertram should think long and hard about this decision. He is going to BC, a coach that relies heavily on his upperclassman. One thing he must work on is his patience, because he may have to sit out games while Coach York plays everyone but him. If the opt-in rule is changed and he can be in the 2005 draft his ranking may drop significantly because he hasn't seen much ice time. What the coaching staff says when they are recruiting a player changes most times when the season begins. So think long and hard about this decision.
And if you choose BC, remember BE PATIENT.

AJ1982

Feb 27, 2002
New York
Visit site
AE12 said:
I've seen Bertram play and going to BC from Canada may not be the best way to the NHL.
Bertram should think long and hard about this decision. He is going to BC, a coach that relies heavily on his upperclassman. One thing he must work on is his patience, because he may have to sit out games while Coach York plays everyone but him. If the opt-in rule is changed and he can be in the 2005 draft his ranking may drop significantly because he hasn't seen much ice time. What the coaching staff says when they are recruiting a player changes most times when the season begins. So think long and hard about this decision.

You seem to be suggesting that Freshmen don't get to play much at BC. Try and tell this idea tha to Ben or Patrick Eaves or Chris Collins or JD Forrest, or any of the other BC players who got quality time as Freshmen. If you earn your ice time you will receive it. To me Bertram looks to be a top notch Jr. A player and that usually translates to a guy who can step right in at the NCAA level without a long period of adjustment. If I were Bertram I would throw your word's of caution to the wind, because guess what, wherever you go you have to earn your ice time, it's no different than BC.

Schlep Rock

Feb 28, 2002
USA
AE12 said:

What is your issue with BC?

All of your posts are either (A) BC bashing or (B) Pineault worshiping

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad