TSN: Bert Olmstead dies at age 89

Born in 1909

Hockey Royalty
Nov 20, 2007
Montreal
This guy was the man, back in the day.

"As a Hab, Olmstead skated on a line with Elmer Lach and Maurice Richard, later playing left wing with Jean Beliveau and Boom Boom Geoffrion."

RIP

The oldest of the Hab fans (80+) know Olmsted well.

Teufelsdreck

Sep 17, 2005
Bert Olmstead was the LW on Jean Béliveau's line in their consecutibe Cup run of the late 1950s. He was one of the most effective checkers against Gordie Howe in addition to being a pretty good scorer. he was a counterpoint to the right wing, Bernie Geoffrion, who was weak defensively.

When it was suggested that Toe Blake use Geoffrion might to check Howe, who was approaching 50 goals in one season (something Geoffrion as well as the Rocket had achieved), Howe said he wished he would. Howe disliked Olmstead because he checked doggedly but eschewed fighting.

Last edited:

S Bah

Nov 7, 2010
victoria bc
Bert Olmstead one tough hombre, from what my dad told me, a quote from Bert "I'm a hockey man through and through, I have a lot of love for the game and what it means.:handclap::handclap::handclap: :handclap: RIP Bert !!!

Le Tricolore

Boo! BOOOO!
Aug 3, 2005
Montreal
I don't know a whole lot about the man, but I believe that Jean Beliveau spoke fondly of him in his book. RIP Mr. Olmstead.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->