Berra vs Bishop...How/why the heck did you give that scrub a look over Berra?

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
Yeah let's just forget about how good Elliott was after we traded Bishop.

How dare Armstrong not see this coming a couple years down the road like everyone on this site thinks they did.

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
Woops, I didn't look at his stats in TB this year. I was just shocked to see him still in an NHL net couple times TB has been on a TV Im near.

Lol.

Let him play 10 more games and this thread won't look so stupid.

Anyways gl this year.

The Note in MI

Bow to the pyramid
Aug 21, 2013
Muskegon, MI
Woops, I didn't look at his stats in TB this year. I was just shocked to see him still in an NHL net couple times TB has been on a TV Im near.

Lol.

Anyways gl this year.

?
Blind hate for the guy? He's stood on his head and is a major part of why Tampa is top of the east.

rumrokh

THORBS
Mar 10, 2006
?
Blind hate for the guy? He's stood on his head and is a major part of why Tampa is top of the east.

Plus, he was really good in college. I watched dozens of his college games and he carried the Black Bears at times. This is just bizarre all around.

Blue Dot

F0rsbergFan21
Oct 15, 2006

Lol.

Anyways gl this year.

in ten more games this thread won't look so stupid because no one will look at it again...

Bishop is the real deal. TB defense did not just magically get better. They added Filppula and that helped, but TB is still leaky on D.

I suspect in 10 games Bishop's stats will get slightly worse but his wins will be great and the team rolling.

ToniJ1960

Feb 18, 2009

Lol.

Anyways gl this year.

open mouth insert other foot

Sniper

It's learning...
Jun 11, 2003
Colorado
Visit site
Slightly off topic, but I hope Bishop gets more consideration to make the USA roster. I would love to have a USA Bishop jersey. (Throwback, of course).

Celtic Note

Living the dream
Dec 22, 2006
We didn't really have much of a choice since he was due to be an UFA that summer. He outplayed Elliott at camp that season, and initially it looked a good decision to go with Elliott considering his performance that season. Could regret that it resulted in Bishop getting traded.

The flip side to that is if we had Halák/Bishop last season then there is a decent chance we don't see Jake Allen. While Bishop could have meant we let Halák walk at the end of the season, we'd probably be looking for a backup rather than going Bishop/Allen.

I understand what they did and why they did it, but I think we should have traded Elliott.

I disagree that we would not have seen Jake. Bishop would not have started every game and the Blues would had to have used Allen as the backup out of necessity.

The Halak walking thing would have depended on how Halak and Bishop performed, with some assessment of Jake being factored in. To me, that hard decision is a good one to have to make.

Elliott is a solid goalie and I don't have anything against him. Rather, Bishop had starter potential and was on his way to accomplishing it. Keeping Bishop would have given us another asset we could trade down the line if it was once again deemed time to move a goalie. Instead, at the end of the season, we will loose Elliot for nothing and have no one to challenge Halak for the starting position if we re-sign him.

Apr 30, 2012
St. Louis, MO
I understand what they did and why they did it, but I think we should have traded Elliott.

I disagree that we would not have seen Jake. Bishop would not have started every game and the Blues would had to have used Allen as the backup out of necessity.

The Halak walking thing would have depended on how Halak and Bishop performed, with some assessment of Jake being factored in. To me, that hard decision is a good one to have to make.

Elliott is a solid goalie and I don't have anything against him. Rather, Bishop had starter potential and was on his way to accomplishing it. Keeping Bishop would have given us another asset we could trade down the line if it was once again deemed time to move a goalie. Instead, at the end of the season, we will loose Elliot for nothing and have no one to challenge Halak for the starting position if we re-sign him.

Celtic...Why do you have to go and make sense with all this logic stuff? :sarcasm: You hit the nail on the head. I was hoping we'd have kept Bishop, especially considering the fact that he outplayed Elliott in camp. That said, it's not like Elliott has been a scrub. He saved our season in 11-12, and last year rebounded from his tough start to have a superb second half. So at least we have that. To me, the organization decided Allen was our guy of the future and made the move. Whether they made the correct move, we don't yet know. Truth be told, we won't know for sure until Allen gets an extended NHL look. I think what softens the blow a of losing Bishop though is the fact that we actually have depth with our goaltending prospects. Allen has looked very good this year and we have Binnington and Lundstrom waiting in the wings. All in all, it sucks to have lost Bishop, but it's not the end of the world.

Apr 30, 2012
St. Louis, MO
I seriously doubt that Elliott would have returned as much as Bishop did AINEC.

At the time of the trade? There's no question whatsoever that Bishop garnered more than Elliott would have gotten. I mean he was god awful the season before we signed him. It's just a shame we couldn't have held on to Bishop for one more year and trade Elliott after 11-12. We probably could have gotten a second for him then.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
At the time of the trade? There's no question whatsoever that Bishop garnered more than Elliott would have gotten. I mean he was god awful the season before we signed him. It's just a shame we couldn't have held on to Bishop for one more year and trade Elliott after 11-12. We probably could have gotten a second for him then.

I don't know. I don't think his value ever raised above a 3rd. He has been great for us and has no doubt improved as a player, but as a GM, there is too much of a risk in giving a 2nd for him.

There is only a few teams out there that I would feel comfortable giving a 2nd for him and that makes his price go way down. I don't there were any teams that play shutdown defense that had any kind of need for Elliott.

Apr 30, 2012
St. Louis, MO
I don't know. I don't think his value ever raised above a 3rd. He has been great for us and has no doubt improved as a player, but as a GM, there is too much of a risk in giving a 2nd for him.

There is only a few teams out there that I would feel comfortable giving a 2nd for him and that makes his price go way down. I don't there were any teams that play shutdown defense that had any kind of need for Elliott.

Fair point. Guess we'll never know. Hopefully Allen pans out and this will all be a moot point anyway.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
If management always believed that Allen was the future starter ahead of Bishop, then getting Vannelli out of it was a great deal. The only way Bishop would have increased his value was to become a starter, and that wasn't going to happen while Halak was still here.

Ideally we will have the same discussion again when Allen, Binnington, and Lundstrom are all NHL caliber or near NHL caliber.

2 Minute Minor

Hi Keeba!
Jun 3, 2008
Temple, Texas
I saw it less as a choice between Elliott and Bishop, and more of one between Allen and Bishop. Bishop is off to a good start this season, but its too early to conclude that either guy has the edge. I continue to have high expectations for Allen.

Blue Dot

F0rsbergFan21
Oct 15, 2006
I saw it less as a choice between Elliott and Bishop, and more of one between Allen and Bishop. Bishop is off to a good start this season, but its too early to conclude that either guy has the edge. I continue to have high expectations for Allen.

i am in the boat with you. that's exactly how i saw the decision.

PerryTurnbullfan

Sep 30, 2006
Penalty Box
No, we just sucked horribly at drafting.

I think you are point on here 1223 along with pointing out that Vannelli was acquired for Bishop. Good value at the time. Let's not be too hasty in saying we got robbed. It was a decision as far as I can see between Allen and Bishop, not Elliott and Bishop. Remember Elliott had at least something on his resume. Plus, he was very very good for us. Yes he had rough patches and is a backup, don't discount Elliott. Gets the job done. I would still take Allen over Bishop. Allen will be that good. We saw a glimpse last year. Both kids Bishop and Allen will be very good NHL goalies.

Apr 30, 2012
St. Louis, MO
I think you are point on here 1223 along with pointing out that Vannelli was acquired for Bishop. Good value at the time. Let's not be too hasty in saying we got robbed. It was a decision as far as I can see between Allen and Bishop, not Elliott and Bishop. Remember Elliott had at least something on his resume. Plus, he was very very good for us. Yes he had rough patches and is a backup, don't discount Elliott. Gets the job done. I would still take Allen over Bishop. Allen will be that good. We saw a glimpse last year. Both kids Bishop and Allen will be very good NHL goalies.

We can't say that for sure. Let's give him some time with the big club so we can see what he can bring over an extended period of time. Only time will tell if management made the right move.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
I am wondering what little memory some people around here have. Were all of you REALLY that much in favor of Bishop over Elliott at the time of the trade?

Remember why a lot of us didn't want to trade Elliott this past offseason, because if Halak goes down we will have a rookie and nobody else in net?

At the time of the trade Bishop had played around 10 NHL games and had a save% of about .896.

The Blues needed someone more reliable with more experience as a backup.

It was absolutely the right decision at the time, but then again this site loves to hate on Elliott for no reason so I'm not even surprised at this. He has done everything asked of him and more and has been an excellent BACKUP goalie for us, which is all he should be expected to do.

And yes I think Allen will be better than Bishop. Allen's potential is greater.

JustOneB4IDie

Duel Cancer Survivor
Jan 31, 2011
Imperial, Missouri
Not the day after that training camp you weren't. Now, sure (I guess) -- but it's not like Elliott's been bad.

Please. :amazed: Elliott was dumped twice by Ottawa then Colorado before signing here to be Halak's BACKUP after Armstrong couldn't get Mike Smith to sign here to be Halak's backup. One thing I am certain of, Elliott will never win a cup as a starter to fill in due to injury. As for the spring of 2011, we will never know but we do know Elliott sucked.

Falco Lombardi

Nov 17, 2011
St. Louis, MO
It was an upset when Elliott beat out Bishop out of camp.

I think Elliott could have returned more than a pending UFA Ben Bishop who the world knew wouldn't re-sign.

I was pretty torn on Allen vs. Bishop as I like both of them and think both will be solid starters in the NHL.

2 Minute Minor

Hi Keeba!
Jun 3, 2008
Temple, Texas
It was an upset when Elliott beat out Bishop out of camp.

I think Elliott could have returned more than a pending UFA Ben Bishop who the world knew wouldn't re-sign.

I was pretty torn on Allen vs. Bishop as I like both of them and think both will be solid starters in the NHL.
Why wouldn't Bishop re-sign on a one-way contract? I'm not sure where your level of certainty on that comes from.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->