Proposal: bern's NYR blueprint April 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Per HFB policy, OP establishes parameters of thread.
Rangers bluest blue chips are part of the core, are necessary to provide depth and downward pressure vs hard cap on team payroll. Not available.

Please share as to values below. Feel free to tweak. If either team has better options, pls suggest.

1. NYR-MIN
Strome + OTT 2021 4th
for
better of 2021 1sts [MIN-PIT] and of 2021 3rds [MIN-PIT] + acceptable expiring cap dump(s).

Rationale:
Wild want a C, pref w/righty shot
Strome does not fit long term $ timetable, and Krav is already here w/Barron no later than next season. Fits like hand in glove.
The above was approx 50-50 in a thread from like a month ago. Latest head count?
Alternates BOS, MON maybe CGY, possibly ANA

2. NYR-EDM
Rooney + Blackwell
for
EDM 2021 + 2022 2nds

cap should be small enuf to not require player coming back for cap balance.

Oil say they want more production, better defense from bottom 6. Rooney + Blackwell have excelled, are dirt cheap close to min and thru next season. If this works out, Oil get dibs on further extension. EDM getting both now, only giving one pick this yr, delayed gratification on that second 2nd to NY next draft.

NY needs to capitalize on its new found ability to draft well, and that starts by adding picks/improving slotting of picks. This is best way to continue adding quality elcs, which provides immediate down pressure vs salary cap of team payroll, but also adds to assets potentially available for trade.

Note: the above assumes Oil prefer to create just over 1.5 cap internally, which immediate savings benefit to Rangers is part of the deal [along w/delayed gratification on using the future pick]. It also assumes Rangers have enuf bodies to quality for exposure to expansion draft. I believe they have more moves they can make in that regard if necessary. However, this deal could be expanded if necessary into a larger package: add a 2023 2nd from Oil, along w/Turris [1.65 thru next yr] or say Archibald [1.5 thru next yr]; Rangers add OTT 2021 4th.
{complete version 2 is thus:
Rooney + Blackwell + OTT 2021 4th
for
EDM 2021, 2022 + 2023 2nds + Turris or Archibald}

3. NYR-BUF
LDs Lindgren elc + exp dr exempt Rykov elc + Smith expiring 4.35 at half = 2.175 + + G Georgiev + return of BUF 2021 3rd + NYR 2021 3rd
for
cap dump expiring G Hutton 2.75 next season + RD Oskari Laaksonen, .853,333 x 3 elc + BUF 2021 2nd and 2022 1st [top 15 protected 1 yr only]

cap bal: not ballpark neutral but close enuf to doable but NYR can take expiring cap dump if nec.

Analysis and cap: While Geo is inconsistent, stonewalling great clubs one night and suffering case of the yips on others, he is useful if Ulmark dealt/does not return. Huska is cheap backup and while nothing to brag about is a depth upgrade over Hutton, who has vision problems. Prize piece here is Lindgren, sacrifice of him is a major wince for Rangers. I would want something like a 10-12OA min for the elc def sound, clear the crease partner for our best backliner, 1RD Fox, so I view Lindy as good enuf to be 1LD material. Lindy, with Dahlin, and Rykov competing on 3LD, could resolve the notorious LD prob Sabres have, and with emerging RD prospects, means existing RD vets like Risto, may be possible to have their value repurposed which helps with other needs, hopefully to enough extent to turn the BUF ship around to at least keep Eich happy and on board. Smith is only stopgap til Rykov arrives, but then adds depth as 7th D and/or 4th line W. He is certainly not renewed at 4.35, but he may show enuf to add a min 750 extension.

BUF will not like the price, but while good drafting = build = resolution to problems long term, partial surrender of picks for some help now is only other way to avoid dealing Eichel soon, or dealing Dahlin for a haul to keep Eichel.
The two 3rds this yr are overly generous for 2nd this yr, given Lindy now is worth a better 1st now, and that is being delayed for a whole yr, and has an insurance clause vs it.

Rangers moving Lindy really hurts, but the higher picks will be useful regardless of whether or not Eichel is eventually moved. Thank God, we have K’A Miller as our 1LD (even if he plays usually 2LD w/Trouba). So Hajek, who has come along nicely, will show if he can jump up from 3LD to 2LD. We have Reunanen we are trying to get mins for, and on top of that Robertson soon after and Jones knocking on the door after that. This deal gives us a good pick for Lindy and buys mins we need to apply to see where our emerging elc (Ds) are. Laaksonen will get shipped out for grooming. If w/Nils L and then 2-3 yrs hence Schneider keep right side unavailable, before then we can either flip him, or try him at RW. We give primo mins to Shesty w/Kinkaid, can do 4 games cup o coffee on Wall, let him have NHL taste. NYR deep in net long term.

4. NYR-CAR
No retention on Buch, Canes offer full cap relief, so:
Drury + 2021 1st
for
Buch

Immediate scoring help on super cheap help at 3.25 entering final rfa. Cost is reasonable w/flat cap likely to be 5ish for coupla yrs before big raise.

Drury is a good bet on the C prospect our base wants.
2021 1st = a useful asset.

5. Deangelo + for Stralman +
Stralman replaces Deangelo as exp draft exposed player.
Deangelo can be bought out cheap. This is essentially a rental if Panthers want to go there [given Ekblad broken leg]. The +s on both sides will be minimal, just enough to be worth it.

-------
Held in abeyance: Zib. Key is if he goes only 4 yrs if we do 8.5ish. If yes, great! If no, we have to make him a rental, but that is not until next yr.
-------

GRAND CONCLUSION OF ALL DEALS FOR NYR
Kakko - Kravtsov - Panarin
Kreider - Zib - stopgap DiGuiseppe now, then Barron*
LaF-Chytil- Gautier
_______ - Howden -Gettinger
reserve: tbd
* if a stud righty shot scorer emerges for stopgap RW [like Ovechkin 1 yr only at max, that would be a horror show defending Kreider-Zib-Ovie, but only 1 yr, do not want any deal w/term], then Barron can start at 4C.

Hajek-Fox
K’A M - Trouba
Reunanen-Nils L
reserve: Robertson, Jones

Shesty
Kinkaid
[give Wall 4 games cup of coffee which does not trigger elc, etc.]

Exp draft
Exempt: Kakko, LaF, Kravtsov, Nils L, Fox, KAM, Shesty
7 protected Fs: Panarin, Kreider, Zib, Chytil, Gautier, 2 slots available
3 protected Ds: Hajek, Trouba, 1 slot available
1 protected G: slot open

min/+ exposed Fs and Ds:
Fs: Howden, DiGuiseppe, Greco,
Ds: Deangelo/Stralman, Bitteto, Geersten
G: Kinkaid

something like dat.

Mrfenn92

Proud to be American
Sponsor
Nov 27, 2018
Chicago,Illinois
Minnesota Edmonton buffalo says no easily
I’ll leave the Carolina trade for their fans but I’m guessing a no. Also don’t understand your fascination with trading buch.
Deal 5 why not just buyout tony d at the end of the season

Reactions: virothepyro

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
Minnesota Edmonton buffalo says no easily
I’ll leave the Carolina trade for their fans but I’m guessing a no. Also don’t understand your fascination with trading buch.
Deal 5 why not just buyout tony d at the end of the season
I'd want the Wild to insist on it being the later of the two 1sts, but beyond that I think it's worth considering. Strome's not perfect but he's a good fit for what we need. The main hang-up would be how his eventual extension would fit with our cap situation. Kaprizov and Fiala don't look like they'll be cheap to extend.

Mrfenn92

Proud to be American
Sponsor
Nov 27, 2018
Chicago,Illinois
I'd want the Wild to insist on it being the later of the two 1sts, but beyond that I think it's worth considering. Strome's not perfect but he's a good fit for what we need. The main hang-up would be how his eventual extension would fit with our cap situation. Kaprizov and Fiala don't look like they'll be cheap to extend.
Strome is a solid player I’m not denying that. Just think to get him you won’t need to part with either first. Just my take. But no issue being wrong.

Reactions: Ted Hoffman

Kakko Schmakko

Feb 24, 2018
Don't think Rooney gets traded, definitely not Lindgren.

I think Strome goes to Toronto

Blackwell probably gets a 3rd and 7th

Howden could get moved

DeAngelo better bring at least a 2nd rounder.

Buchnevich might get moved for a big return

Flyer lurker

Feb 16, 2019
1-Strome no shot at a 1
2-Blackwell for a 2? Maybe. 2 2's with Rooney? have doubts.
3- Buffalo trading 1's? Just stop. Sabres 3 years away from being 3 years away.
4 1 for Buch seems enough. D and c's get overpaid for trades not wingers.
5- Deangelo for Stralman. So tony D gets bought out and Panthers save on the deal. Yeah this one works But to add Stralman that is expensive cap number for meh.

Reactions: Ted Hoffman

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
1) I'll pass on trading Strome. Value aside, what does a 1st round pick even do for NYR right now? Strome has been a good player for us. We don't have to think about trading him until the offseason/next season. Your rationalization has always been "Aging playing or does not fit long term". What exactly is long term? Not every player is going to be here for 8+ years. Not every player needs to be under 28 and Kravtsov is not taking Strome's spot at center with Panarin. If they test Kravtsov at the center position, he won't be making the jump to replace Strome anytime soon. What expectation do you have for Barron?

2) Rooney and Blackwell don't have values of 2nd around pick. Blackwell works hard and found a nice spot in our line-up this season, but he won't be valued at anymore than a bottom depth player. You're not getting a 2nd for that. And Rooney has about a 7th value, if you're lucky.

3) Rangers aren't trading Lindgren for a 2022 protected 1st round pick. We finally have a top pair that works - why trade that for some magic beans? We have Miller who plays a game with fast stick attacks. We shouldn't be wanting to trade a physical D in Lindgren. Hajek / Fox sounds like a nightmare scenario.

4) NYR don't need to move on from Buchnevich until we find out what contract he's looking for. If we trade him, it should be a hockey trade involving a player that can enter the line-up immediately.

5) You couldn't have any put thought into this deal. What happens when Stralman doesn't get selected by Seattle?

rockinghockey

Oct 22, 2008
EDM is a big no plus we don’t have a 2nd or a 3rd.
As far as Turris if that is the reason we would just bury him and save a mil

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
Rangers bluest blue chips are part of the core, are necessary to provide depth and downward pressure vs hard cap on team payroll. Not available.

Please share as to values below. Feel free to tweak. If either team has better options, pls suggest.

3. NYR-BUF
LDs Lindgren elc + exp dr exempt Rykov elc + Smith expiring 4.35 at half = 2.175 + + G Georgiev + return of BUF 2021 3rd + NYR 2021 3rd
for
cap dump expiring G Hutton 2.75 next season + RD Oskari Laaksonen, .853,333 x 3 elc + BUF 2021 2nd and 2022 1st [top 15 protected 1 yr only]

cap bal: not ballpark neutral but close enuf to doable but NYR can take expiring cap dump if nec.

Analysis and cap: While Geo is inconsistent, stonewalling great clubs one night and suffering case of the yips on others, he is useful if Ulmark dealt/does not return. Huska is cheap backup and while nothing to brag about is a depth upgrade over Hutton, who has vision problems. Prize piece here is Lindgren, sacrifice of him is a major wince for Rangers. I would want something like a 10-12OA min for the elc def sound, clear the crease partner for our best backliner, 1RD Fox, so I view Lindy as good enuf to be 1LD material. Lindy, with Dahlin, and Rykov competing on 3LD, could resolve the notorious LD prob Sabres have, and with emerging RD prospects, means existing RD vets like Risto, may be possible to have their value repurposed which helps with other needs, hopefully to enough extent to turn the BUF ship around to at least keep Eich happy and on board. Smith is only stopgap til Rykov arrives, but then adds depth as 7th D and/or 4th line W. He is certainly not renewed at 4.35, but he may show enuf to add a min 750 extension.

BUF will not like the price, but while good drafting = build = resolution to problems long term, partial surrender of picks for some help now is only other way to avoid dealing Eichel soon, or dealing Dahlin for a haul to keep Eichel.
The two 3rds this yr are overly generous for 2nd this yr, given Lindy now is worth a better 1st now, and that is being delayed for a whole yr, and has an insurance clause vs it.

something like dat.

f***ing god awful

Buffalo on LD has Dahlin and 3 ED exempt LD 2 on team, one in NCAA. Do not need a LD they’d expose. Buffalo is protecting 2 RD.

Buffalo does not need Georgev. They just resign Ullmark.

Laaksonrn is RD and ED exempt...so he’s not going anywhere.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
giphy.gif

SRHRangers

Aug 18, 2020
1. I'm not dealing Strome unless I get wowed. He's proven he's one of the better 2Cs in the game this season.

2. Edmonton hangs up. Blackwell is a nice story but he's not fetching that.

3. I stopped reading when I saw Lindgren in a trade proposal. No way I'm dealing Fox's wingman. He also prolly should be wearing the C to be honest.

4. I don't want to deal Buch, but he really might be playing out of town with his price going up.

That offer is way too light though.

5. I'm buying out TDA and I'm not taking on an extra year of salary with AS.

Overall synopsis: Thank God Bern isn't the Rangers GM.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
The Carolina trade seems somewhat reasonable, I guess. The rest are awful for the other teams

Hi ImHFNYR

Jan 10, 2013
Wherever I'm standing atm

1. NYR-MIN
Strome + OTT 2021 4th
for
better of 2021 1sts [MIN-PIT] and of 2021 3rds [MIN-PIT] + acceptable expiring cap dump(s).

Rationale:
Wild want a C, pref w/righty shot
Strome does not fit long term $ timetable, and Krav is already here w/Barron no later than next season. Fits like hand in glove.
The above was approx 50-50 in a thread from like a month ago. Latest head count?
Alternates BOS, MON maybe CGY, possibly ANA

2. NYR-EDM
Rooney + Blackwell
for
EDM 2021 + 2022 2nds

cap should be small enuf to not require player coming back for cap balance.

Oil say they want more production, better defense from bottom 6. Rooney + Blackwell have excelled, are dirt cheap close to min and thru next season. If this works out, Oil get dibs on further extension. EDM getting both now, only giving one pick this yr, delayed gratification on that second 2nd to NY next draft.

NY needs to capitalize on its new found ability to draft well, and that starts by adding picks/improving slotting of picks. This is best way to continue adding quality elcs, which provides immediate down pressure vs salary cap of team payroll, but also adds to assets potentially available for trade.

Note: the above assumes Oil prefer to create just over 1.5 cap internally, which immediate savings benefit to Rangers is part of the deal [along w/delayed gratification on using the future pick]. It also assumes Rangers have enuf bodies to quality for exposure to expansion draft. I believe they have more moves they can make in that regard if necessary. However, this deal could be expanded if necessary into a larger package: add a 2023 2nd from Oil, along w/Turris [1.65 thru next yr] or say Archibald [1.5 thru next yr]; Rangers add OTT 2021 4th.
{complete version 2 is thus:
Rooney + Blackwell + OTT 2021 4th
for
EDM 2021, 2022 + 2023 2nds + Turris or Archibald}

3. NYR-BUF
for

Rangers moving Lindy really hurts, but the higher picks will be useful regardless of whether or not Eichel is eventually moved. Thank God, we have K’A Miller as our 1LD (even if he plays usually 2LD w/Trouba). So Hajek, who has come along nicely, will show if he can jump up from 3LD to 2LD. We have Reunanen we are trying to get mins for, and on top of that Robertson soon after and Jones knocking on the door after that. This deal gives us a good pick for Lindy and buys mins we need to apply to see where our emerging elc (Ds) are. Laaksonen will get shipped out for grooming. If w/Nils L and then 2-3 yrs hence Schneider keep right side unavailable, before then we can either flip him, or try him at RW. We give primo mins to Shesty w/Kinkaid, can do 4 games cup o coffee on Wall, let him have NHL taste. NYR deep in net long term.

4. NYR-CAR
No retention on Buch, Canes offer full cap relief, so:
Drury + 2021 1st
for
Buch

Immediate scoring help on super cheap help at 3.25 entering final rfa. Cost is reasonable w/flat cap likely to be 5ish for coupla yrs before big raise.

Drury is a good bet on the C prospect our base wants.
2021 1st = a useful asset.

5. Deangelo + for Stralman +
Stralman replaces Deangelo as exp draft exposed player.
Deangelo can be bought out cheap. This is essentially a rental if Panthers want to go there [given Ekblad broken leg]. The +s on both sides will be minimal, just enough to be worth it.

-------
Held in abeyance: Zib. Key is if he goes only 4 yrs if we do 8.5ish. If yes, great! If no, we have to make him a rental, but that is not until next yr.
-------

GRAND CONCLUSION OF ALL DEALS FOR NYR
Kakko - Kravtsov - Panarin
Kreider - Zib - stopgap DiGuiseppe now, then Barron*
LaF-Chytil- Gautier
_______ - Howden -Gettinger
reserve: tbd
* if a stud righty shot scorer emerges for stopgap RW [like Ovechkin 1 yr only at max, that would be a horror show defending Kreider-Zib-Ovie, but only 1 yr, do not want any deal w/term], then Barron can start at 4C.

Hajek-Fox
K’A M - Trouba
Reunanen-Nils L
reserve: Robertson, Jones

Shesty
Kinkaid
[give Wall 4 games cup of coffee which does not trigger elc, etc.]

Exp draft
Exempt: Kakko, LaF, Kravtsov, Nils L, Fox, KAM, Shesty
7 protected Fs: Panarin, Kreider, Zib, Chytil, Gautier, 2 slots available
3 protected Ds: Hajek, Trouba, 1 slot available
1 protected G: slot open

min/+ exposed Fs and Ds:
Fs: Howden, DiGuiseppe, Greco,
Ds: Deangelo/Stralman, Bitteto, Geersten
G: Kinkaid

something like dat.

Some of this wasn't too bad actually. Some of it was awful. Stopped reading halfway through bc most of the post is rambling, poorly thought out justifications that demonstrate a complete unwillingness to respect other people's time or intelligence

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->