Bernier to play goal at spengler cup if lockout continues

etherialone

dialed in your mom
Mar 6, 2008
The Ether
i had not heard it till i saw it going accross tsns ticker lol Just thought id pass it along I think i may actually try and watch this years tournment.

Should be a good one regardless of if JB plays or not. Its always interesting that's for sure. I will try and find the article that said that JB had been asked to play in it. Maybe the news is that he has agreed to play if the lockout continues officially.

Here it is.

http://www.heilbronner-falken.de/akt...90caa2bd24a73d

It does say:

* Bernier will stay in Canada for a few weeks and will travel to Switzerland on 25 december, to play in the Spengler Cup.

KingCanadain1976

Jul 8, 2009
Thunder Bay Ont. Can
Should be a good one regardless of if JB plays or not. Its always interesting that's for sure. I will try and find the article that said that JB had been asked to play in it. Maybe the news is that he has agreed to play if the lockout continues officially.

Here it is.

http://www.heilbronner-falken.de/akt...90caa2bd24a73d

It does say:

* Bernier will stay in Canada for a few weeks and will travel to Switzerland on 25 december, to play in the Spengler Cup.

The link didnt work for me but no worries i belive you it was posted somewhere before tsn didl Im just curious tg in your opinion is the spengler cup a good enuff tournament to raise Bernier s worth.

etherialone

dialed in your mom
Mar 6, 2008
The Ether
The link didnt work for me but no worries i belive you it was posted somewhere before tsn didl Im just curious tg in your opinion is the spengler cup a good enuff tournament to raise Bernier s worth.

If there isn't an end to the lockout then it could be. Although allot of people around the league agree with DL in that JB is one of the best young goalies in the game and will be great once he gets his chance.

kingsfan

President of the Todd McLellan fan club by default
Mar 18, 2002
Manitoba, Canada
I'm glad for him. Will be fun and be a neat thing to have a hockey memory.

That said, I don't think this will boost him as a starting goalie. What is there, 10 games or so (I'm not overly familiar with the length of the SPengler Cup)? You often see backups get into 10 game stretchs in the NHL when the starter gets hurt, so this is really no different. Those stretches don't really transform anyones opinion of that goalie.

I agree with TG (as usual), Bernier is already a future NHL starter in most GM's eyes, this tournament won't change anyones opinion unless he plays absolutely brutal.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
I'm glad for him. Will be fun and be a neat thing to have a hockey memory.

That said, I don't think this will boost him as a starting goalie. What is there, 10 games or so (I'm not overly familiar with the length of the SPengler Cup)? You often see backups get into 10 game stretchs in the NHL when the starter gets hurt, so this is really no different. Those stretches don't really transform anyones opinion of that goalie.

I agree with TG (as usual), Bernier is already a future NHL starter in most GM's eyes, this tournament won't change anyones opinion unless he plays absolutely brutal.

Spengler Cup is 2 games + playoffs (4 of 6 qualify, 1 -2 games played in playoffs) in 5 days (Dec 26-31). It's just 5 club teams (Davos from Swizterland, Ufa from KHL, Mannheim from DEL, Vitkovice from Czech and Fribourg from SWE (not sure if SEL or ALK). Those club teams usually bolster their rosters from around their respective leagues, and Team Canada is usually just Canadians playing overseas with a few AHLers thrown in as well.

I am really really looking forward to the Spengler Cup. On the TSN story they have some of the players expected to play for Canada, not listed are some guys like Simmonds and Giroux who would be eligible as well. And Thornton and Nash will be playing for Davos (whom they are playing for in the Swiss league). It will be a GREAT tournament to watch. I know most Canadians go goo goo ga ga for WJC, but I much prefer the Spengler Cup with professionals, particularly this year with all the NHLers likely to be involved. It's a great tournament, with an unreal atmosphere, the support that Davos team gets is amazing (they host it every year). The final last year looked and sounded like a SC Final game...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad