Bernier outscoring 5 Wings skaters

Spitfire11

Jan 17, 2003
Ontario
Randomly checked the Wings stats today to see how the young guys were doing and noticed Jonathan Bernier with 3 points on the year, is outscoring Erne, Daley, Perlini, Ehn, and Biega in a comparable number of games.

1 more point to pull ahead of Abdelkader and set his sights on Frans.

What a year. Can’t imagine it’s very often a goalie outscores a single teammate let alone five of them!

DetroitRed

Crashes the Crease
Apr 7, 2013
Detroit
Randomly checked the Wings stats today to see how the young guys were doing and noticed Jonathan Bernier with 3 points on the year, is outscoring Erne, Daley, Perlini, Ehn, and Biega in a comparable number of games.

What a year. Can’t imagine it’s very often a goalie outscores a single teammate let alone five of them!
He's just that good.

saska sault

Jun 5, 2010
Sault Ste. Marie
3 of these guys are guys that Yzerman brought in.

Discuss.

The contract status of the players Yzerman has brought in vs Holland's left overs.... Yzerman gambled with a few low risk moves, no real surprise some aren't performing... Perlini just isn't a good hockey player, Erne is a grinder with limited skill... We didn't lose much in giving them a chance this year.

FabricDetails

HF still in need of automated text analytics
Mar 30, 2009
Gosh that perspective hurts...

I tried to think to myself that maybe this wasn't all that uncommon if you had a goalie like Brodeur or Barrasso but even then it really isn't. And that's not what's going on here anyways. :-(

TheOtherOne

Jan 2, 2010
Those guys plus Abdelkader have 13 points in 184 man-games, or 0.07 points per game, or 14 games per point.

I wonder if there's a way to track down some kind of record based on this.

League-wide in terms of individuals, there are only 12 players (incl 2 Red Wings Biega and Ehn) who have played at least 20 games and have fewer points per game than this. Not apples to apples but interesting.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA

Discuss.
Biega is a gap stop for injuries, Perlini was a crap shoot, and Fabbri is a home run.

The only disappointing trade is Erne, especially since he came from Stevie's old franchise, I thought he was familiar with him and saw some up side.

No GM wins every trade, and I would easily have traded all of the assets for just Fabbri, so Stevie's still in the win column as far as trades.

The inability of this team to score is actually astounding, I've never seen a team with so many players projected to finish the season with single digit points. The Caps have 16 players already in double digits, and everyone besides Jensen (lol) is on pace to hit double digits.

Reactions: Lazlo Hollyfeld

KillerMillerTime

Jun 30, 2019
Those guys plus Abdelkader have 13 points in 184 man-games, or 0.07 points per game, or 14 games per point.

I wonder if there's a way to track down some kind of record based on this.

League-wide in terms of individuals, there are only 12 players (incl 2 Red Wings Biega and Ehn) who have played at least 20 games and have fewer points per game than this. Not apples to apples but interesting.

Pekka Rinne has as manty goals as Ehn, Perlini & Abdelkader COMBINED.

Reactions: Lazlo Hollyfeld

2xJack

Apr 19, 2019

I'm old. I've been watching hockey since the late 70's and can remember games pretty clearly starting in the early 80's. There have been a couple of goalies that were really good at handling the puck and making outlet passes, and picked up a fair number of assists that way. Ron Hextall is one of them. I know he had 6-8 points multiple times in his career. As much as I dislike him, I have to admit that Patrick Roy was another with elite passing skills.

Then there's the case of Grant Fuhr, who once amassed 14 assists in a season. In another season he got 8 helpers. Was Fuhr a good puck handler like Hextall and Roy? No, not really. This is generally how Fuhr was credited with assists - the other team would take a shot and Fuhr would make the save. Paul Coffey would scoop up the rebound and either take the puck coast-to-coast or make a HoF worthy outlet pass to a streaking Gretzky or Kurri for a breakaway goal. Sometimes this even happened when Edmonton was a man down. Fuhr would get credited with a save and an assist for a single touch of the puck.

With the trapezoid behind the net it is a more rare occurrence now, but through hockey history there have been goalies that were good at generating offense and definitely had more points than a number of their teammates.

2xJack

Apr 19, 2019

Discuss.

The cost of those players is virtually nothing. So what's your complaint? The only one I take issue with is Flip and honestly it doesn't matter. His contract is nowhere near as bad as the ones Holland left behind, and this team was going to suck even if Flip was the same player he was 5 or 10 years ago.

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway

Discuss.

Which 3?

This Biaga guy irritates me. He is #7 at best.

Nemeth is a great singing.

Fabbri too.

Yzerman will be tough to discuss. He will get a lot of free pass.

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway
He gets a longer leash to clean up the mess Holland left behind.

The players he signs have nothing with Holland to do.
The bad contracts on the other hand have.

I often disagree with the posters here on this board. They think Yzerman should fire Blashill. I think Yzerman has to fix goaltending.
In the interview Yzerman said he was happy with the coach.

Cyborg Yzerberg

Nov 8, 2007
Philadelphia
The players he signs have nothing with Holland to do.
The bad contracts on the other hand have.

I often disagree with the posters here on this board. They think Yzerman should fire Blashill. I think Yzerman has to fix goaltending.
In the interview Yzerman said he was happy with the coach.

He has only signed stopgap players. We are rebuilding and they don’t matter. We are going to have a very hard time icing a good team while we have multiple terrible players with terrible contracts on the books. Everyone is so fired up about this season; not firing Blashill, not adding a goalie, not doing this, not doing that. The truth is, none of this matters right now, all that matters is getting the best pick possible in the draft, and letting guys like Zadina and Hronek develop. Yzerman gets a long leash, because this is ground zero of our rebuild.

Mlotek

Feb 28, 2017
South of US Border
The contract status of the players Yzerman has brought in vs Holland's left overs.... Yzerman gambled with a few low risk moves, no real surprise some aren't performing... Perlini just isn't a good hockey player, Erne is a grinder with limited skill... We didn't lose much in giving them a chance this year.
The Perlini trade was more medium-high risk.

Regula has been showing some real promise in junior.

Didn't like the trade when it happened, not a fan now, and Chicago, of all teams, could make out like gangbusters.

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway
He has only signed stopgap players. We are rebuilding and they don’t matter. We are going to have a very hard time icing a good team while we have multiple terrible players with terrible contracts on the books. Everyone is so fired up about this season; not firing Blashill, not adding a goalie, not doing this, not doing that. The truth is, none of this matters right now, all that matters is getting the best pick possible in the draft, and letting guys like Zadina and Hronek develop. Yzerman gets a long leash, because this is ground zero of our rebuild.

I am quite content with the job Yzerman and Blashill are doing.

I think our core players are doing great and we are getting a top 5 pick.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad