Bernie Nicholls

Discussion in 'The History of Hockey' started by armed viles, Sep 28, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
View Users: View Users
  1. armed viles

armed viles Registered User

never got to see him play. noticed he has a gaggle of career points (despite playing with gretzky for only 1 and 1/2 seasons). was he any good? product of his teammates? a floater? a powerforward?

2. PigPen

PigPen Registered User

Home Page:
    He was a good player. Not the best skater in the world and didn't know what his own zone looked like but nonetheless he was talented. An excellent stickhandler, nice shot, great passer, extremely smart and willing to take a hit to make a play. A guy that scored 70 goals in one year has to have some talent.

What I don't understand is how so many people on this forum talk about him as if he's the biggest scrub to ever play the game.

3. hunter1909*

hunter1909* Guest

i was cool when they traded away paul coffey...

i even got used to the gretzky "trade"...

but ill NEVER forget messier going to the rangers for bernie(i played with gretzky so i got a lot of goals) nicholls...

thats the worst trade ive ever suffered through

4. silver_made*

silver_made* Guest

1 season.

5. David Puddy

David Puddy Registered User

Home Page:
    Bernie (I played with Gretzky so I got a lot of Goals) Nicholls only played a little more than a season and a half with the Great One. If you take away the 126 games with Gretzky, Nicholls still had 378 goals and 606 assists for 984 points in 1001 games played. That's not too bad.

6. Timmy1973

Timmy1973 Registered User

Home Page:
    What did he have 5 30-40+ goal seasons before Wayne even got there? That's not too bad at all. Of course I didn't mind seeing the 'Pumper-Nicholl' 70 times that one year.

7. pld459666

pld459666 Registered User

Actually, after going to Jersey

he learned how to play defence very well.

He was a very very good offensive player that changed his game once the talent started fading which extended his career another 3-4 years

8. Drrocket9

Drrocket9 Registered User

definitely gave a solid contribution to the Sharks. i grew to like him as a player, despite the fact he had played for the Kings.

9. Big Phil

Big Phil Registered User

He was good. That's about it. One of only 7 guys to hit 70 goals in a season (Hull, Gretzky, Lemieux, Esposito, Mogilny, Selanne the others). But put it this way, in '88-89 he hit 150 points. The next year he had 113. Nicholls was not a great enough player to ever earn an invite to Team Canada for any years. That says something. Career numbers are good, but so are Bernie Federko's, and he isnt in the Hall of Fame...............oh wait a minute he is!

10. John Flyers Fan

John Flyers Fan Registered User

Home Page:
    Ron Francis was also never good enough to earn an invite to play for Team Canada.

One time he wore the Maple Leaf, but that was for the World Champs in 1985, because his Whalers missed the playoffs.

11. Big Phil

Big Phil Registered User

Bernie Nicholls couldnt have held Francis' jock! Francis was on the '96 World Cup but was injured.

12. John Flyers Fan

John Flyers Fan Registered User

Home Page:
    I wasn't saying that Nichols was as good or better than Francis, just pointing out that you can't always go by Canada Cup/Olympic Team appearances.

Steve Yzerman wasn't selected for the 1987 or 1991 Canada Cups, when he was in his prime and at his very best. He was selected to play in 2002 when he was clearly well past his prime.

13. Big Phil

Big Phil Registered User

I agree with the Yzerman thing but that was more because Mike Keenan had a bone to pick with him for some reason. And Yzerman was on the '84 team.

But it's hard to believe someone who had a 150 point season at one time wouldnt have gotten an invite to Team Canada just two years later. Yeah its true a lot of guys dont get invited that put up big points but 150? Come on. If onloy Yzerman, Esposito, Lemieux and Gretzky have put up more points in a season than you and you still havent been invited or get an all-star selection than somehting is wrong with you.

14. SpooKy

SpooKy Registered User

Home Page:
    I enjoyed watching Nicholls, Carson and Robitaille play together. Great young core

But I'm a Kings fan, what's new?

--Spooks

15. mcphee

mcphee Registered User

Home Page:
    Take Yannic Perreault and multiply it a few times. Pure scorer, maybe a bit like Robitaille also, but a center. One of those players who you have to appreciate what he can do rather than what he can't.

16. Devils Badvocate

Devils Badvocate Don't be a Hayter

Had forgotten about the Pumper-Nicholl. Brings back good memories.

Best thing about those 70 goals was it raised his value allowing the Kings to trade him to the Rangers for Granato & Sandstrom.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.