Bernie Geoffrion underrated goal scorer?

Status
Not open for further replies.

KOVALEV10*

I just looked up his stats, and his goals per game averages for the first 11 years of his career and I was impressed. Here are his Goals per game averages for the first 11 years of his career and in parantheses are the ones of the league leaders in goals that year excluding Howe, Rocket and Beliveau.

8 in 18- 0.44 (0.44)
30 in 67- 0.44 (0.44)
22 in 65- 0.33 (0.45)
29 in 54- 0.54 (leads)
38 in 70- 0.54 (leads)
29 in 59- 0.49 (0.52)
19 in 41- 0.46 (0.45)
27 in 42- 0.64 (0.51)
22 in 59- 0.37 (0.58)
30 in 59- 0.50 (0.57)
50 in 64- 0.78 (leads)

This guy won the art ross twice, was only the second player ever after Rocket to notch 50 goals and did it in just 64 games which is so damn impressive being in an era where it was so tough to score. He's the creater of the slap shot, a great goal scorer, even lead the league in points once, won the hart trophy, 5 stanley cups in a row, lead the playoffs in points and goals twice, scored around 400 goals in his career in only 800 something games yet nobody evention mentions him ever as a great player. Yes he did play with Jean Beliveau but every great winger played with a great center. Howe had Lindsay, Rocket had Lach, Kurri had Gretz, Jagr had Lemieux, etc. So what do you think of him? Discuss!

Deleted member 3032

First thing that popped to mind is he looks a lot more injury prone then I thought he was. I do think he's mentioned fairly often as a great goalscorer, though.

KOVALEV10*

Tanguay40 said:
First thing that popped to mind is he looks a lot more injury prone then I thought he was. I do think he's mentioned fairly often as a great goalscorer, though.

Dont forget that back then one season was 70 games, the other was 50, the other was 60 so dont just look at him playing 59 games and think he was injured. Just trying to clarify something, no biggy ;)

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
Yeah must agree Geoffrion often does get forgotten. But when you have the Richard brothers, Beliveau, Moore, Plante and Harvey on one team it happens. Still was a great scorer though. Definetly worhty of being in the HOF, which he is.

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
I love what Beliveau wrote about him in his book. "We had our share of flakes on the team but Boom was a blizzard all by himself." A great hockey personality and always mentioned as one of the top 50 players ever.

KariyaIsGod*

Yeah, he was awesome. He just kind fo gets lost in the shuffle cosidering the greatness of those teams. Both Rockets, Beliveau, Dickie Moore, Harvey, Plante... Hell even Ralph Backstrom was there and he was one hell of a player too.

Daryl Shilling

Mar 12, 2003
Visit site
For what it's worth, some of Geoffrion's standings in Normalized Scoring:

Career Offensive Player System (COPS) ranking: 57th all-time
COPS per Year: 22nd
Normalized Goals: 38th
Normalized Goals per 82 Games: 19th
Sniper Rating (formula taking a number of goal scoring stats into account): 19th
5 Most Statistically Similar Players: Nels Stewart, Cy Denneny, Bill Cook, John LeClair, Teemu Selanne

This guy was an animal when it comes to goal scoring.

Daryl

chooch*

Daryl Shilling said:
For what it's worth, some of Geoffrion's standings in Normalized Scoring:

Career Offensive Player System (COPS) ranking: 57th all-time
COPS per Year: 22nd
Normalized Goals: 38th
Normalized Goals per 82 Games: 19th
Sniper Rating (formula taking a number of goal scoring stats into account): 19th
5 Most Statistically Similar Players: Nels Stewart, Cy Denneny, Bill Cook, John LeClair, Teemu Selanne

This guy was an animal when it comes to goal scoring.

Daryl

married to Morenz daughter; good genes in kids for hockey.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad