News Article: Bergevin tried to get a top 10 pick and draft Samuel Morin

Bilbo Caufield

Habs Hockey
Dec 9, 2008
Santa Flanella
Look at my comments, I never said he was a sure thing. In fact you keep trying to dismiss my points, Morin does have more upside than Tinordi. That is true, what we don't know is if he will reach his potential. Plus you are only looking at his stats, he progressed so much during the season that scouts were amazed.

I know how much he is good. I saw him live at the colisee pepsi this year. He has tons of upside you're right.....but I'm just questioning him being able to fulfill expectations. We often see big Dmans like that with tons of praise that end just being top 4-6 with no offense.

Hedman says hello....you remember the praise he was getting? And he was not a 11th pick. If he was a new generation Pronger like some scouts said, maybe he would have gone in the top 7 after the superstars.Not trying to dismiss your points but pointing the red flags to you....;)

Lions999

Jun 28, 2011
Well Morin has much more offensive upside than Tinordi. I'm happy with McCarren DLR and Fucale though.

Don`t really care if Tinordi doesn't have much offensive upside, all I want from Tinordi is a good first pass out of our zone. Playing physical, clearing the net area, playing great defensively. That's all we should ask from Tinordi and if he gives us more it will be a bonus.

googlymoogly

Oct 27, 2007
Don`t really care if Tinordi doesn't have much offensive upside, all I want from Tinordi is a good first pass out of our zone. Playing physical, clearing the net area, playing great defensively. That's all we should ask from Tinordi and if he gives us more it will be a bonus.
When it comes to offense Subban and Beaulieu will provide it and even possibly Dietz and Nygren if any of these two become NHL regulars. Sure Morin has more offensive upside than Tinordi but I doubt he touches Subban or Beaulieu in offensive output.

MonkeyBusiness

Mar 3, 2013

Why are you telling me all of this? Galchenrock said it wouldn't be worth it to trade up for Morin since we already have Tinordi, and I said that the two players aren't similar and Morin has more offensive potential.Morin is also a grittier d-man.

Video Coach

Sep 16, 2005
“The price was big and we were willing to pay, but it didn’t work,†Habs GM Marc Bergevin said Sunday night, explaining he made an offer that included draft picks and players.

From this article - Canadiens GM Willing to Move up

So I would guess 25+ 34 or 36 and maybe Dias?

Video Coach

Sep 16, 2005
Anyway, I would have loved Morin and you never know who would have been there at 34 or 36 assuming we had one of those. May have still gotten McCarron or Fucale.

Grant McCagg

@duhduhduh
Dec 13, 2010
They obviously think very highly of him... There's two schools of thought regarding DLR. Some scouts feel he's a third liner. Some scouts feel he could end up a Top-6 with untapped offensive potential. Habs must feel that way

Not true. Strictly from a mathematical perspective...it's impossible for every top 60 forward you pick to be top six players. Think about it. Excluding trades and free agency....If you draft 8 forwards in the top 60 over a decade (Habs have drafted more)....at least two of them won't be top six forwards. Especially second round guys..surely folks don't expect every second round forward picked by the Habs to be a top six forward...it's mathematically impossible.

Might DLR be a top six forward someday? Perhaps. But so might Collberg, Lehkonen, Kristo.... even Leblanc. Already have Patch, Chucky, Gally, Eller, Plekanec....do you see the quandary?

Third line players on a good team in today's NHL ere valuable commodities, particularly at center. If DLR ends up being the Habs third line center down the line......if someone on here calls him a "bust" at that point..they are clueless. Third line players on good teams in today's NHL help you win championships.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
I would have like the Habs to trade up for Morin -- he was a good "reason" to do so.

But, say, trading up to 7th to pick Morin? No way.

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
If it was the Canucks' pick it's understandable why Gillis would not go for it. He would have been hanged trading his pick after the Scheinder shocker.

Still i'm tired of these "almost did it" things we keep hearing from MB's camp. Do it or shut up.

Price My Man Crush

Aug 27, 2011
Montréal
If it was the Canucks' pick it's understandable why Gillis would not go for it. He would have been hanged trading his pick after the Scheinder shocker.

Still i'm tired of these "almost did it" things we keep hearing from MB's camp. Do it or shut up.

The almost did it is not only from the MB's camp. It has been there for a few years. Every year we hear this. I'm tired too.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad