Bergevin Needs to get fired

Louie the Blue

Because it's a trap
Jul 27, 2010
This is Bergevin’s 9th season as GM.

You’d expect at this point the Canadiens would be at least a consistent playoff team or better.

They aren’t.

He’s had time to put together a high quality roster around Price.

He hasn’t.

They haven’t made it to the ECF since 2014.

What are his excuses?

If it’s Price was hurt or they haven’t had a good backup or had much support overall around Price, well, it’s job to go out and get that.

He should be fired.

bigtim1988

YES! YES! YES! YES!
Jun 7, 2009
long island
I feel like I've been seeing this thread pop up every season for the past 10 years. He needs to go; I don't know much about the Habs, but he seems like a totally inept GM from what I see on the surface, and escapes any accountability by firing the coach when he's on the hot-seat

Reactions: Gjman2019

Riddum

Nov 5, 2008
Montreal
He builded his team around Shea Weber and Carey Price 2 members of Team Canada who are very respected around the league. Both are old and their good days are behind !

For real She Weber is very slow and would be a #3 defence man everywhere and is still get #1 ice time because he’s Mr.Canada and has leadership.

Same thing with Price he is done but he won Olympic gold medal ect.. and he is very respected.

Leadership is so overated just do like Ottawa did and rebuild around kokatniemi , Suzuki and Romanov give the team to the kids.
Bergy likes karakter.

But to be honest, the main problems with the Habs are:

-Price is just not good enough these days.
-The special teams are still absolute trash.

Bluesguru

Aug 10, 2014
St. Louis
You can’t get the complete picture of any team in what is a microcosm of the original 6 NHL. You got 4 divisions all playing in their own isolated leagues.

The Canadiens are built to contend and beat other teams but is it their fault they got to play half their schedule against Toronto, Edmonton and Winnipeg? Probably the 3 deepest teams at Center in NHL. Matchup wise, probably not the best for Montreal. Who’s to say in a normal season the Canadiens aren’t having a great season.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Too funny..He was being praised like no tomorrow about 3 weeks ago.
I'm surprised that he's got to fire 3 coaches..?...Most GM's dont get that many.

613Leafer

May 26, 2008
Just seems like a team with no clear direction under his tenure. They've surprisingly won the division 3X since he's been the GM, but if you look at the rosters of those teams, none of them have ever looked like legit SC contenders, and the pieces that helped them win those division titles were predominently players that were all there beforehand (Price, Pacioretty, Subban, Markov, Plekanec, Gallagher, Danault, etc).

The 2017 division title they missed the playoffs both the year before and the year after, so that seems like more of a fluke than an indication of good sustainable team building. If you're a GM for 9 years, that's plenty of time to put your vision in place and build a contender. The focus instead has just been to stay moderately competitive.

dukeofjive

Jul 7, 2013
whistler b.c
How the f*** can you not fix that terrible PP in all those years, habs are a good to ok team 5vs 5, Pk is average but that damn PP has been bad since markov left the team it feels like.

Bad contract to price...
Weird signings like Alzner..

Bargain bin has had some good moves but its time to move on. Team is going nowhere

Reactions: MillanDynasty

Oneiro

Mar 28, 2013
The worst thing to happen to the Habs is playing in this North Division because it gives ownership the illusion that this group has a shot when they don't.

Another Minnesota/Calgary situation where the young players aren't of the magnitude to move the franchise forward but the presence of older ex-star players is delaying the wake-up call.

ffh

Jul 16, 2016
He needs an extension for all the hard work he has done over the last few years.

MSSLYNX

Jul 27, 2009
They way the fan base freaks out if they got a non french coach makes it more satisfying seeing them falling
Fan base in Mtl doesnt care if coaches are francophones or arent.
Only French media does. One should understand why for them its important.
Molson is not forced to oblige French media.

Just look at the recent imterim hiring.
Vast majority of fans is happy.
When Ducharme gets fired, usual whiners will say they only got the job because he is a francophone.

This francophone coach talk is only political talk, not hockey talk. English minority in Quebec still feels they are being disrespected. When a franco coach or a gm like Bergevin gets close to the end, they bring back the language issue.

go back to the Bergevin hiring. Anglos and francos were equally happy or unhappy.

Galactico

Feb 17, 2016
Canada
Fan base in Mtl doesnt care if coaches are francophones or arent.
Only French media does. One should understand why for them its important.
Molson is not forced to oblige French media.

Just look at the recent imterim hiring.
Vast majority of fans is happy.
When Ducharme gets fired, usual whiners will say they only got the job because he is a francophone.

This francophone coach talk is only political talk, not hockey talk. English minority in Quebec still feels they are being disrespected. When a franco coach or a gm like Bergevin gets close to the end, they bring back the language issue.

go back to the Bergevin hiring. Anglos and francos were equally happy or unhappy.
I believe the same as you when you say that most fans in Montreal don’t care if the coach is an anglophone. Montreal is an international city, English is everywhere in the city and the residents are used to it.

However, the Canadiens are an institution in the whole province of Quebec where the majority of the population speaks French and lives in a whole other reality. I think the French coach thing is a calculated PR/Marketing strategy by the organization. I believe Molson is not in the business of winning Stanley Cups but in the business of making money and they calculated that it is a better to have a French coach no matter what for the brand and public image of the organization.

Bergevin just follows orders, that’s it. I think that it is also for that reason that they never commited to a full rebuild. They want to make money and they figured they’ll make more if they stay somehow “competitive” while having a French coach/staff.

Bring Bak Damphousse

Fire Bergevin...into the Sun
May 27, 2002
Canada
Just seems like a team with no clear direction under his tenure. They've surprisingly won the division 3X since he's been the GM, but if you look at the rosters of those teams, none of them have ever looked like legit SC contenders, and the pieces that helped them win those division titles were predominently players that were all there beforehand (Price, Pacioretty, Subban, Markov, Plekanec, Gallagher, Danault, etc).

The 2017 division title they missed the playoffs both the year before and the year after, so that seems like more of a fluke than an indication of good sustainable team building. If you're a GM for 9 years, that's plenty of time to put your vision in place and build a contender. The focus instead has just been to stay moderately competitive.

Carey Price won the division 3x’s since Bergevin took over the team. Truth is the more MB put his stamp on this team the worse it got, he just lucked into having the best goalie in the nhl. Bergevin knows who got him to the dance, why else would he sign him to that ridiculous contract

Reactions: zeke

Bring Bak Damphousse

Fire Bergevin...into the Sun
May 27, 2002
Canada
i don't think the fan base actually cares that much

The media seems far more concerned with language, and I think it could have been avoided had Molson put his foot down when Cunneyworth was named interim headcoach and the french media lost there minds. Should have let them know Montreal would always hire the best personnel regardless of background, but he buckled and now this is what we get.

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
Continuous mediocrity due to MB not willing to commit to a full rebuild, though even if he did, Habs are still f***ed because they can't draft. Feels bad to be a fan of this hockey club honestly

Yeah but would the Montreal fans and media allow a full rebuild? I feel like that's part of the problem here. If not, then Bergevin hasn't really done that bad of a job. I mean what else is he supposed to do? It looked like a decent team on paper this offseason. But Weber has aged fast and Price is having an off year/or declining.

superstar436

Mar 4, 2004
Continuous mediocrity due to MB not willing to commit to a full rebuild, though even if he did, Habs are still f***ed because they can't draft. Feels bad to be a fan of this hockey club honestly

As long as timmins is with this teams, don't expect much.

Anyway, bergie won't get fired. Molson is not the type of guy who likes to throw money away. There are no potential candidates who speak french. He will stay

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad