Bergevin Needs to get fired

RogerR

Feb 2, 2021
Who would have thought that the 70 game sample size and 2+ last seasons was more important than the 10 game summer hockey to gauge the team.

WHO WOULD HAVE GUESSED?

I was told winning the qualifying round was all that mattered.
I still laugh at these these boastings about past rounds won with different rosters. I don't get it.

Reactions: Kristopher Letang

Byron Bitz

Apr 6, 2010
Should have been fired years ago. Is his job even on the line? He had a good offseason honnestly
He had a good offseason if the goal was to make a bad team slightly better, he had a bad offseason if the goal was to build a contender.

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
The problem with Bergevin is he plays an intense game with the concept of winning being the only thing on his mind and the fact he's impatient.

The other problem is how Montreal tends to only need to hire french-speaking coaches. But I find Bergevin is the main problem in Montreal but for some reason ownership loves him and happens to be respected by his peers.

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012
Bergevin has done a pretty good job the last 3 years.

The issue with the habs d-corps has nothing to do with their speed. The issue is that half of them are not great at passing the puck.
In a couple of years, that won't be a problem anymore since the habs are loaded in pmd prospects (Guhle, Norlinder, Harris, Struble, Fleury, brook)

North Cole

♧ Lem
Jan 22, 2017
This is an ironic thread considering the "Worst GM" poll he was handily winning, got bumped when they started off hot and some folks wanted to crow about how he wasn't that bad. Doubt he gets fired, doubt we see much turnover during the season tbh.

Teams will just write this season off, no fans in the stadiums, short/condensed season. I think most teams will just limp through with the personnel they have.

Beezeral

Mar 1, 2010
they are pressed against the cap and have a bunch of players who will be looking for raises this offseason. Wouldn't call that a good job when the roster's absolute ceiling is the playoff bubble.

the habs are loaded in pmd prospects (Guhle, Norlinder, Harris, Struble, Fleury, brook)
I'm gonna take a bold stance here and say at least 3 of the 5 guys you mention here never have more than a cup of coffee in the NHL.

iCanada

Feb 6, 2010
Edmonton

The issue with the habs d-corps has nothing to do with their speed. The issue is that half of them are not great at passing the puck.
In a couple of years, that won't be a problem anymore since the habs are loaded in pmd prospects (Guhle, Norlinder, Harris, Struble, Fleury, brook)

You've seen Price's contract, right? Gallagher's contract? The lack of center depth? The lack of real top line players? Your 14 million spent on goaltending (most teams are 6-8) that is decidedly average?

The issue is your team just isn't very good. The Oilers have four players who would be your top scorer. The Leafs have 3. The Flames have 2. The Canucks have 4. The Jets have 4.

Petry and Weber are your only real top talent at the moment, and Weber is really slowing down.

pucksakes666

Mar 8, 2018
They way the fan base freaks out if they got a non french coach makes it more satisfying seeing them falling

Boondock

Feb 6, 2009
You a Canuck fan ?
I am and that poster is correct. If you need the run down of the absolutely stupid and brutal things Benning has done in his tenure as GM I would be happy to start the list. I'm in my mid 40's so I might not live long enough to list all of them, but yes Benning is the problem.

Reactions: stopclickbait

Dexter Colt

Oct 29, 2007
Mendham, NJ
Welcome to the bipolar nature of basically all Canadian fan bases.
I'd want to see an NHL 36-type documentary on a fan's life just to see how it is :laugh:

I only read the main board threads and my mind unjustly combines the OPs into one single fictitious person. A person that goes from celebrating the Cup on opening night to demanding a fire sale and a front office overhaul within 19 games. A person that proclaims several award winners and a week later demands them to be cap dumped. It's unfair to the fans and I apologize if I make arrogant comments hastily.

Reactions: McTusk

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012
This is an ironic thread considering the "Worst GM" poll he was handily winning, got bumped when they started off hot and some folks wanted to crow about how he wasn't that bad. Doubt he gets fired, doubt we see much turnover during the season tbh.

Teams will just write this season off, no fans in the stadiums, short/condensed season. I think most teams will just limp through with the personnel they have.
That was also after what i found funnier is a poster that made an alternate worst gm vote because he thought MB got a bad deal out of timing of the thread and still was trashed in votes.

Reactions: North Cole

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012
they are pressed against the cap and have a bunch of players who will be looking for raises this offseason. Wouldn't call that a good job when the roster's absolute ceiling is the playoff bubble.

Pressed against the cap? You realize they have 15.5 M in cap space next summer with already 15 players signed? Not to mention the extra cap space will get by Seattle likely picking one of Chariot, Edmundson, or Allen in the expansion draft.

Tatar will be replaced by Caufield, and Poehling will replace Armia if not re-signed. Danault is the only player that won't be cheap to re-signed, but he might not cost that much considering the season he is having.

I'm gonna take a bold stance here and say at least 3 of the 5 guys you mention here never have more than a cup of coffee in the NHL.

Let me guess you don't know a thing about those players? Except for Brook who disappointed in his first year at pro, the rest are all prospects with a good chance of making the nhl.

You've seen Price's contract, right? Gallagher's contract? The lack of center depth? The lack of real top line players? Your 14 million spent on goaltending (most teams are 6-8) that is decidedly average?

The issue is your team just isn't very good. The Oilers have four players who would be your top scorer. The Leafs have 3. The Flames have 2. The Canucks have 4. The Jets have 4.

Petry and Weber are your only real top talent at the moment, and Weber is really slowing down.

Lack of center depth? This is the best center depth they've had in a long time, and its only going to get better as 20 year old Kotkaniemi and 21 year old Suzuki develop.
The only oilers player that will be the habs top scorer are McDavid and Draisaitl. RNH isn't producing anything close to that without playing with McDavid.
The oilers have a few really good players, but their depth is atrocious. The habs 4th line wingers would easily be playing in the oilers top 6.

Beezeral

Mar 1, 2010
Tatar will be replaced by Caufield, and Poehling will replace Armia if not re-signed.
Having to let good players walk as UFA’s because of lack of cap space is the definition of pressed against the cap.
Not to mention the extra cap space will get by Seattle likely picking one of Chariot, Edmundson, or Allen in the expansion draft.
I wouldn’t count on Seattle willingly taking a bloated contract unless paid.

Let me guess you don't know a thing about those players? Except for Brook who disappointed in his first year at pro, the rest are all prospects with a good chance of making the nhl
No team in the NHL has 5 viable puck moving defenseman in their system. Nevermind that I wouldn’t call Guhle a puck moving defenseman. Guy treated the puck like a live grenade during the WJC. Out of that list of 5, I’d guess the Habs get 1, maybe 2 NHL regulars out of that group. Look at this excerpt from the Athletic’s prospect rankings.

35782ACB-B1BA-44C5-9AA7-B0567602DEBA.jpeg

The key phrase is “a shot at a NHL ceiling”. The best case scenario is 3 of the 6 including Romanov establish themselves in the NHL.

Garo

Jul 30, 2005
Montréal
Bergevin is one fascinating case of a guy making making plenty of good moves but never being able to make an actual good team. If I was less interested in the team being good I would be in awe of it really.

Anderson and Toffoli were actually pretty good moves, yeah. The contracts are still warning signs, but it moved back a lot. Edmundson is... less good. But ultimately what's truly awful is that this is pretty much the "best" team this can be with how he spent to the cap, and it's so flawed. Petry is the only defenseman made for this league and the team massively suffers without him on the ice. Weber is solid but can't do what he used to. Price is a complete rollercoaster every time the puck comes near him. And offensively there's no one ready to dominate play consistently at all. Suzuki might, but by that time the team will still be worse and will need to shed a lot of money to pay him. It's a mix of good veterans on bloated contracts, young guys who are good but nowhere near what they should be for the team's makeup and aspirations, and decent secondary pieces that are here for like five years on solid contracts but there's so many of them that you can't really find room and that's where your cheap prospects have to go later.

Reactions: dukeofjive

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012
Having to let good players walk as UFA’s because of lack of cap space is the definition of pressed against the cap.

Tatar would be let go regardless of cap space. They aren't going to give a big contract to a 30 year old winger when they have Drouin, Anderson, Gallagher, Toffoli in the team + Caufield coming in.

No team in the NHL has 5 viable puck moving defenseman in their system. Nevermind that I wouldn’t call Guhle a puck moving defenseman. Guy treated the puck like a live grenade during the WJC.

The habs likely have the deepest group of defenseman prospects in the league. Guhle is no Byram or Drysdale at handling the puck, but he's still good at it.

Guhle is not a pmd?

Out of that list of 5, I’d guess the Habs get 1, maybe 2 NHL regulars out of that group. Look at this excerpt from the Athletic’s prospect rankings.

How is that quote helping your argument? It's helping my point lol.
It says the habs have 6 defensemen prospects with a shot of making the nhl. It also says if at least three of those LD makes it, then habs left defense will look pretty good.

613Leafer

May 26, 2008
Who the heck expected Drouin and Kotkaniemi to put up 1st line numbers this year? What are you talking about?

Agreed.

Drouin is 26 in March with 53 points as a career high and one 20 goal season. He's done nothing to suggest he's a top line player - the guy is an inconsistent ~40-50 point player that's not even good defensively.

At some point you are what you are, barring a rare later career surge (e.g. Marchand became distinctly better at age ~28 than he was ages ~22-27), but there's no reason to expect it.

Kotkaniemi, sure, has potential to get better. But like you said, he's not expected to be a 1st line C this year, it's just a hope that there would be some development.

KCC

Aug 15, 2007
It's funny seeing the media and their fans backtrack after they were like, "durr montreal will be at the top of the division durrrr". Their roster is sub par, Price is overrated and even with all the newest moves, I saw nothing to suggest they could win the division.

Reactions: Lilou

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad