Rumor: Bergevin expects Pacioretty back next year with the Canadiens

BeliveauFan4ever

Apr 10, 2006
I'm so tired of the narrative about "untradeable' contracts. It's a myth. With enough creativity and a willing idiot on the other end (and despite what you may think, MB isn't the only desperate/idiot GM in the league) just about any contract can be moved. And with each passing season as the salary cap goes up (which it will no doubt do again as Seattle's expansion team will be injecting some cash into the system) today's unmoveable contract suddenly becomes easier to digest. The only way any team could get stuck with a bad contract forever would be if every other team hired competent people to staff their hockey operations departments. But the cronyism and incompetence at the executive level is not limited to the 7th floor of the Bell Centre. There are many teams currently being run by people who would qualify as at least part-time idiots.

If the Habs decide to move on from Price and/or Weber there will be takers and it won't matter how well or badly they happen to be playing at the time.

But! Please let Price (especially) be moved when it's higher than it is now.

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
I don’t think he’s bad. I just think his release isn’t all that impressive unless he’s shooting while skating with speed. He’s still a very good goalscorer.

You mean in shot stride ?

He’s also good wristing and snapping it from a pass (and stangely awful at the full one time Galchy excells at).

BeliveauFan4ever

Apr 10, 2006
He did a number of times. Until the rest of his team skated away after a more than suspect hit almost ended his life.

One could say we owe the Bruins.

Chara on Max, and Thelven's slash on Richer.

In both cases, Bruins targeted a guy stealing their lunch.

Reactions: cphabs

CristianoRonaldo

Apr 7, 2014
In your head
Thing is we don't know that. We aren't in the room
This team was brutal on paper and we all turned on our only scorer

The thing I agree with you is that he isn't really needed anymore if we are rebuilding, time to move him and cash picks/prospects.

Yes you are right. When I said that he's not a good captain, I was only talking about his on ice performance and the fact that he's not able to thrive under pressure. Maybe he's great for boosting players' confidence in the locker room, or to help the players when they have some off-ice problems and other stuff like that.

Last edited:

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
You mean in shot stride ?

He’s also good wristing and snapping it from a pass (and stangely awful at the full one time Galchy excells at).

I’m more referring to his stationary shot. Good perimeter players in my opinion can beat goaltenders from the outside and it seems his accuracy isn’t great from those areas and when he does hit the net, the puck usually isn’t hard enough.

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
I’m more referring to his stationary shot. Good perimeter players in my opinion can beat goaltenders from the outside and it seems his accuracy isn’t great from those areas and when he does hit the net, the puck usually isn’t hard enough.

Sorry, what I meant to ask was the opposite, if what you meant was that he was great in shot stride.

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
Sorry, what I meant to ask was the opposite, if what you meant was that he was great in shot stride.

I reread my original post and realized I made it confusing as all hell as to what I was referrring too. :laugh: Yes I was referring to shot in stride, short stride, whatever you want to call it. If he has some mententum going, his shot is hard and accurate.

Schwang

May 6, 2002
Kingston, Ont
Visit site
This is what we need to do... just not going to happen. We will have 10.5 to Price, nearly 8 to Weber and 7-8 to Pacioretty. We are going nowhere with that much $$ tied up to non-centers. Maybe we get into playoffs and earn ourselves another 1st round exit. Honestly I found the lottery selection draft more exciting that the 1st round exits.
I agree. I think we're in for a at least a couple seasons of mediocrity until they can (hopefully) bring in some young blood.

habsgirl5000

Jul 15, 2017
IMO patches wants out, and MB knows it, MB just cant find enough value for him (in his mind) right now,

so here is what will happen.....

MB will be forced to trade patches at the deadline because he knows he is going to lose him for nothing next summer, and he will get next to nothing for him (a few draft picks),

i am sure MB has probably made extension offers which have been declined, patches doesn't want to end up like carey price with a LONG contract but being miserable playing on a horrible team,

he probably looks at the position price is in and thinks "nope, that aint happenin to me!!!...im outta here!!!!"

MadMslm

Jun 16, 2018
With Hoffman in Florida, Kovalchuk coming back in the league, Panarin on the market and the amount of scorer available on the UFA market it will be hard to cash in on his full value.

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
IMO patches wants out, and MB knows it, MB just cant find enough value for him (in his mind) right now,

so here is what will happen.....

MB will be forced to trade patches at the deadline because he knows he is going to lose him for nothing next summer, and he will get next to nothing for him (a few draft picks),

i am sure MB has probably made extension offers which have been declined, patches doesn't want to end up like carey price with a LONG contract but being miserable playing on a horrible team,

he probably looks at the position price is in and thinks "nope, that aint happenin to me!!!...im outta here!!!!"

He saw his retirement plan in Florida get stalled for atleast another year with the Panthers acquiring Hoffman. That being said, this organization will give him an extension. Their too stupid to cash in on him.

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
With Hoffman in Florida, Kovalchuk coming back in the league, Panarin on the market and the amount of scorer available on the UFA market it will be hard to cash in on his full value.

Should have been traded last deadline and we should have retained the maximum on his contract. Called it.

MadMslm

Jun 16, 2018
Should have been traded last deadline and we should have retained the maximum on his contract. Called it.

I agree. Would have been smarter because the team acquiring him would have had him for the playoffs and an extra year. We lost some value on him. If the rumors are true and that Bergevin actually asked for Trotcheck he is worse than I would have ever thought.

Bryson

#EugeneMolson
Jun 25, 2008
I agree. Would have been smarter because the team acquiring him would have had him for the playoffs and an extra year. We lost some value on him. If the rumors are true and that Bergevin actually asked for Trotcheck he is worse than I would have ever thought.

what is wrong with trotcheck?

MadMslm

Jun 16, 2018
what is wrong with trotcheck?

Nothing, as much as I like Pacioretty you don't aim for the moon like that. The kid already has better value then Pacioretty.

He should have went for something more realistic. Talon must have been laughing a lot after he closed with Bergevin.

Reactions: Kaperi Spacey

Bryson

#EugeneMolson
Jun 25, 2008
Nothing, as much as I like Pacioretty you don't aim for the moon like that. The kid already has better value then Pacioretty.

He should have went for something more realistic. Talon must have been laughing a lot after he closed with Bergevin.

Oh yea I agree, Trotcheck would have been steel for the habs and for the first time in 7 years would have filled a need. Too bad most GM's don't trade their centers for wingers except for bergevin.

Reactions: Kaperi Spacey

MadMslm

Jun 16, 2018
Patio to the Kings is my bet

According to rumors they are high on Kovalchuk, but if they can't get him Pacioretty is a nice option. Yet if you look at the market right now you got players like James Neal and James Van Riemsdyk available. Pacioretty is a better all-around player but those guys only cost money and no assets.

Habsawce

Nov 16, 2010
Canada

Shouldn't be hard to spend cap space at least.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad