Bergeron or Ovechkin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crosbyfan

Nov 27, 2003
Looks like Bergeron's season ended a little earlier than he'd hoped as the Habs upset the Bruins. 1 goal and 3 assist in the 7 game series and definitely one of the better Bruin forwards overall. In the regular season he had 16 goals and 23 assists in 71 games. Not a bad season for an 18 year old drafted last year in the second round. How would he compare to Ovechkin in terms of present ability and potential. A year ago this would have seemed a no-brainer. Ovechkin is still improving, 23 points in 53 games this year in the RSL vs 15 points last year in 40 games; But Bergeron has undoubtedly played above all expectations.

rnyquist

Oct 24, 2003
Visit site
Crosbyfan said:
Looks like Bergeron's season ended a little earlier than he'd hoped as the Habs upset the Bruins. 1 goal and 3 assist in the 7 game series and definitely one of the better Bruin forwards overall. In the regular season he had 16 goals and 23 assists in 71 games. Not a bad season for an 18 year old drafted last year in the second round. How would he compare to Ovechkin in terms of present ability and potential. A year ago this would have seemed a no-brainer. Ovechkin is still improving, 23 points in 53 games this year in the RSL vs 15 points last year in 40 games; But Bergeron has undoubtedly played above all expectations.

Bergeron doesn't even dream of being in Ovechkins class not on present ability or potential. Sorry but Bergeron doesn't even come close. Is Bergeron about to become a franchise player? not a chance, will Ovechkin?? yes

oil slick

Feb 6, 2004
Crosbyfan said:

Not even close. :) if Boston offered Bergeron to the Caps, they'd laugh their ass off.

May 1, 2003
Visit site
Really Bergeron has had a good year and looks to be turning into something of a 60-65 point getter in the future but will never become a superstar on the other hand Ovechkin has the lock for 1st overall and whever you lock that spot down in the draft you basically come with the incentive that you are gonna become a stud player. Ovechkin is awesome hes gonna produce alot of point 100 points is not out of his range.

AEKaki

Crosbyfan said:

It's like if you will compare Bergeron to Crosby...

Crosbyfan

Nov 27, 2003
#2 said:
Really Bergeron has had a good year and looks to be turning into something of a 60-65 point getter in the future but will never become a superstar on the other hand Ovechkin has the lock for 1st overall and whever you lock that spot down in the draft you basically come with the incentive that you are gonna become a stud player. Ovechkin is awesome hes gonna produce alot of point 100 points is not out of his range.

Are you saying this because a year ago Bergeron was nowhere close to Ovechkin?

How does 23 points in the RSL translate to 100 in the NHL but 39 points in the NHL as a rookie cap out at 60-65?

theo6060

Feb 7, 2003
Visit site
Crosbyfan said:
Are you saying this because a year ago Bergeron was nowhere close to Ovechkin?

How does 23 points in the RSL translate to 100 in the NHL but 39 points in the NHL as a rookie cap out at 60-65?
I'm sorry, but even at that there really is no argument here. Ovechkin's a potential franchise player. Bergeron is a second liner, maybe 1st but no where near a franchise player. Good season, but still, there is no comparison here...

SwOOsh*

umm are you also taking into consideration the amount of games played? Bergeron played over 20 games more this season then Ovechkin did in the RSL

Foppa_Rules

Nov 1, 2003
Earth...how about you?
Ovechkin had 16 points last year in the RSL (8-8) and 23 this year (13-10). Ovechkin has also played in loads of International tournaments so he has played fewer games. Plus all the travel and playing with different linemates all the time. Ovechkin hands down.

Crosbyfan

Nov 27, 2003
theo6060 said:
I'm sorry, but even at that there really is no argument here. Ovechkin's a potential franchise player. Bergeron is a second liner, maybe 1st but no where near a franchise player. Good season, but still, there is no comparison here...

WHY? Why do the numbers not add up. What makes Ovechkin have so much more potential? Why does this "potential" not show up in the numbers. Would Ovechkin have had 60+ points this season in the NHL? A season which would then be "no comparison" to Bergeron's 39 points? Or is the RSL just THAT much better than the NHL?

Crosbyfan

Nov 27, 2003
Foppa_Rules said:
Ovechkin had 16 points last year in the RSL (8-8) and 23 this year (13-10). Ovechkin has also played in loads of International tournaments so he has played fewer games. Plus all the travel and playing with different linemates all the time. Ovechkin hands down.

18 more games but 16 more points. NHL vs RSL. :dunno:

Crosbyfan

Nov 27, 2003
SwOOsh said:
umm are you also taking into consideration the amount of games played? Bergeron played over 20 games more this season then Ovechkin did in the RSL

umm yes. Are you also taking into consideration the amount of points per game? The stats are in Bergeron's favour. I need explanations just to make up the difference never mind putting Ovechkin clearly ahead.

rnyquist

Oct 24, 2003
Visit site
Crosbyfan said:
umm yes. Are you also taking into consideration the amount of points per game? The stats are in Bergeron's favour. I need explanations just to make up the difference never mind putting Ovechkin clearly ahead.

look man i understand your loving the bruins, granted but you really need to do some research on ovechkin and acctually watch the kid. Yes Bergeron had a good year, granted but do your research on everything before you open your mouth

pavel13

Aug 15, 2003
Visit site
Just look at Kovalchuk's production when he was in Russia. Or Datsyuk. Or any established young player. You can't just compare one person's stats to another in different leagues. You have to have a context to compare them.

pittengineer

Jan 1, 2004
The difference between the RSL and the NHL is that the RSL is actually lower scoring than that of the NHL(if this is possible in todays nhl). All you have to do is go look at the entire league and see what point totals everyone had. Ovechkin at this point is >>>>>>>>> Bergeron's even if he did do it in the RSL. Bergeron is a bright young player who will prob top out as a 2nd liner. Ovechkin has top line from day 1 written all over him. I would also put Malkin above Bergeron at this point.

Jeff Goldblum

Apr 19, 2002
Visit site
Crosbyfan said:
WHY? Why do the numbers not add up. What makes Ovechkin have so much more potential? Why does this "potential" not show up in the numbers. Would Ovechkin have had 60+ points this season in the NHL? A season which would then be "no comparison" to Bergeron's 39 points? Or is the RSL just THAT much better than the NHL?

The RSL is a much lower scoring league where young players are not relied on by coaches. For example, look up Alexei Kovalev's RSL stats. I think he had 2-3 points.

Foppa_Rules

Nov 1, 2003
Earth...how about you?
pavel13 said:
Just look at Kovalchuk's production when he was in Russia. Or Datsyuk. Or any established young player. You can't just compare one person's stats to another in different leagues. You have to have a context to compare them.

Also Kovalchuk never made it to the RSL. He only made it to the High League. High League:Superleague = AHL:NHL

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
You complain about Penguins fans skewing facts to make Malkin sound better, but the above reply is a perfect example of you doing the same for Ovechkin.

rnyquist

Oct 24, 2003
Visit site
I'm sorry i just can't believe someone tried to justify Bergeron being as good or .....hold on i need to stop laughing :joker: .........BETTER than Ovechkin. wow. sorry but wow.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Foppa_Rules said:
Only stating the obvious. Only facts.
It's not a fact. Kovalchuk didn't play in the RSL because his team wasn't good enough to get there, not because he himself wasn't good enough. There's not much doubt that if he had played in the RSL at 17 he would have dominated.

Crosbyfan

Nov 27, 2003
rnyquist said:
look man i understand your loving the bruins, granted but you really need to do some research on ovechkin and acctually watch the kid. Yes Bergeron had a good year, granted but do your research on everything before you open your mouth

Sorry but I think you are wrong on all counts and are not reading carefully either. I'm a lifetime Montreal fan that was was not very happy when Bergeron had the puck in Montreal's end. THIS is my research if you want to call it that? I'm asking questions not giving answers ( outside of factual information like stats). I would love to "watch the kid". Have you? I just watched Bergeron who was drafted in the SECOND round last year! If he's not the most improved player of his age I would be shocked. If he's not the best player his age I would be at least skeptical. If he does not even compare to Ovechkin then why do the stats state otherwise? (that was a question). Are all the RSL games 1-0 games? Was Ovechkin close to the RSL league lead in points? Will Ovechkin outscore Bergeron next year by an "incomparable" margin?

May 1, 2003
Visit site
The one thing that i find rather odd is that I do believe Ovechkin is gonna be a significantly betterr player then Bergeron but the thing is if Ovehckin would have played this season in the NHL as opposed to the RSL, do you really think he would have score alot more points the Bergeron? I would predict that if Ovechkin would have been playing this year in the NHL he would score around the same amount of points, given that Bergeron plays on a better team with less ice time and Ovechkin plays on a worse team with lots of ice time

pittengineer

Jan 1, 2004
Crosbyfan said:
Are all the RSL games 1-0 games? Was Ovechkin close to the RSL league lead in points? Will Ovechkin outscore Bergeron next year by an "incomparable" margin?

Most RSL games are low scoring(ie 2-1). I dont think he was as most players in their prime(26-29) usually are the league leaders. Yes Ovechkin with outscore Bergeron by a decent amount, if only for the fact he will prob be playing on the first line all year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad