Confirmed with Link: Bergeron, Lucic, Marshmont, Eriksson, Krejci, Chara and Rask Invited to Olympic Camps

Buckets and Gloves

klaatu barada nikto
Aug 14, 2011
^^^

Looch was invited last Olympic training camp... they invite like 90 guys... why not invite Lucic??

Thinking only Bergy makes it, still it's nice to see Marchand get recgonized and Lucic too

Dellstrom

Pastrnasty
May 1, 2011
Boston
Congrats guys!! Bergeron is a lock, Looch has an outside shot, real slim for Marshy.

And yeah, Looch was invited before he even scored 30... Him and Bergy with someone like Richards on the right would be a ridiculously good 4th line...

Shaun

Oct 12, 2010
In 2010 it was in Vancouver on the small ice and it was better suited for him to throw hits and grind those *****es down to quote Dan Bylsma. I don't think the big ice will suite him well at all.

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
Benn not getting an invite doesn't make a lot of sense to me. He's a versatile guy that can play both wing and center and he has a pretty solid all-around game so he could fill a bottom 6 role if needed (unlike a guy like Spezza, who is top 6 or bust, and it doesn't make sense to bring him along with the other talent Canada has).

No Ward is very surprising as well. He's one of Canada's more proven goalies.

A guy like Kunitz getting an invite is a joke and, while I love the guy, Marchand is a puzzling inclusion as well.

I don't think Looch has much of a shot, but if he does, it'll be as a winger beside Getzlaf and Perry, as an energy/cycling line.

qc

Aug 23, 2011
Damn, if those 3 somehow make the final cut and Clode/Babcock are behind the bench, I may have to commit treason and root for Canada (for a few weeks at least).

kytem2

Nov 18, 2003
Ottawa
Visit site
What about Boychuk, Ference or McQuaid on D ?

The returning forwards from 2010 are automatic locks, assuming no injuries:

Patrice Bergeron
Sidney Crosby
Ryan Getzlaf
Rick Nash
Corey Perry
Michael Richards
Eric Staal
Joe Thornton
Jonathan Toews

Marchand and Lucic will have a tough task being picked over any of the remaining players, but congrats to both for the invites, it is a real honor.

qc

Aug 23, 2011
I suppose 17 and 63 are trending towards being serious possibilities for the 2018 squad, at the very least.

BruinsBtn

Dec 24, 2006
I think Marchand has a better chance than people think.

He's an all-world penalty killer (he was on the ice for 3 PPGA all season and zero in the playoffs). He's also dynamite defensively and is a pretty good big game player.

Pat Paeplow

May 16, 2013
People overthink the big ice thing sometimes. Its 15 ft wider, that's it. When it comes to Lucic, the question is will he be able to keep up with the crazy pace these games will be played at. I mean, a guy like Patrice Bergeron will probably be a 4th line grinder. If he can keep up, his size would be a major asset for Team Canada.

BruinsBtn

Dec 24, 2006

The returning forwards from 2010 are automatic locks, assuming no injuries:

Patrice Bergeron
Sidney Crosby
Ryan Getzlaf
Rick Nash
Corey Perry
Michael Richards
Eric Staal
Joe Thornton
Jonathan Toews

Marchand and Lucic will have a tough task being picked over any of the remaining players, but congrats to both for the invites, it is a real honor.

I doubt Richards makes it and I'd bet against Thornton too.

mikelvl

Aug 6, 2009
Newton, MA

QUOTE]

Are you serious? They do have the entire league to choose from you know. Most likely they will dress six guys who are No.1 or 2 d-men on their teams.

I had thought that Chiarelli was supposed to be part of the management team. Did I miss something there? He's not listed but Kevin Lowe is?

Fire Sweeney

Jun 16, 2009
Bergen
People overthink the big ice thing sometimes. Its 15 ft wider, that's it. When it comes to Lucic, the question is will he be able to keep up with the crazy pace these games will be played at. I mean, a guy like Patrice Bergeron will probably be a 4th line grinder. If he can keep up, his size would be a major asset for Team Canada.

The play is slower on larger rinks.

Anyway, the last time Canada won the Gold outside of North America was in 1952. It won't happen in 2014 with that garbage goaltending.

Dellstrom

Pastrnasty
May 1, 2011
Boston
Seguin not on list...

I think Marchand is a easy invite....great speed with scoring touch...

We saw how insanely useful Seguin was on the third line.. He's a top-6 kind of player. Way too much talent. Could have gotten an invite but I'm not surprised. The party talk didn't help.

kytem2

Nov 18, 2003
Ottawa
Visit site
Anyway, the last time Canada won the Gold outside of North America was in 1952. It won't happen in 2014 with that garbage goaltending.

This has nothing to do with geography, but everything to do with whether NHLers play or not.

PS, I certainly agree on the goaltending...Canada will be lucky to finish 4th or higher.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad