Bergeron has not been on the Ice for a Short-handed Goal Against Yet

Sevren

Nov 10, 2009
Montreal
Not top-10 in the league, and will never win the Hart. But he will win more Selke.

One of the best, if not the best player I have ever seen at 3 vs 5.

Top-3 center for faceoff %.

Absolutely deserve to center 3rd or 4th line with Team Canada.

Schalkenullvier*

I bet if you asked Coach Julien and Peter C if they would take all or any of these players ahead of Bergy they would say F no!

If they would not take Stamkos, Crosby or Malkin over Bergy, I'd want them fired on the spot.

Bergy is awesome and you couldn't draw up a better leader, but the ability to score 60 goals or 100+ points is much more rare than Bergy's two way prowess.

He'll also never score 30g, 80pts again imo, because with 27 he is in his physical peak right now and he focuses too much on his D responsibilities.

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy and Quaider. Welcome back Looch!
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
I've been known to dog Bergy on here in the past (just ask Ladyfan), but he is without question playing the best hockey of his career right now. He isn't getting any Hart consideration, but he should be.

:handclap::handclap:and I so agree

nally

When you have something to say, silence is a lie
Sponsor
Nov 8, 2004
London, Ontario
www.Directdial.com
He's been probably the best player on one of the best teams in the league. That's kind of the whole point of Hart consideration, no?

No, "Most valuable to his team". Unfortunately Boston has incredible depth. Think of it this way, what happens to Boston if Bergie goes down with an injury...they have trouble holding on to the top spot in the east? Maybe. Guy like Eric Stall goes down and that team is a mess

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
TSN's Scott Cullen has Bergeron #1 for Selke in mid season ranking:

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=417924

SELKE TROPHY
Winner: Patrice Bergeron, C, Boston
Runners-up: Pavel Datsyuk, C, Detroit; Jonathan Toews, C, Chicago.
Comment: Using www.behindthenet.ca to look at strength of opposition, zone starts and shot differential, we can see who is doing the heavy lifting. Bergeron is such a solid two-way player that he's a perennial favourite.

Datsyuk and Toews are strong two-way centres and, like Bergeron, their teams tend to have the puck so frequently that it makes playing defence an easier chore, but part of the reason that the Red Wings and Blackhawks have the puck so often is the dogged determination with which Datsyuk and Toews pursue it and they consistently face hard matchups.

There are many others deserving of consideration, including David Backes, Sean Couturier and Jordan Staal. I could listen to arguments for Columbus' Brandon Dubinsky, who drives the play away from Columbus' net, just not enough for the subpar goaltending that he's experienced.

He's got rask as #3 for Vezina as well.

I didn't look at the TSN panel version but I'd imagine Bergeron is one of their favorites as well.

5Minutes4Fighting

Light the Lamp!
Apr 9, 2010
Northern NJ
YES HES AWESOME

But Hart trophy consideration? Really?

If the B's run away with the East (which they might), he is clearly the most important player on the team, and deserves serious Hart consideration.

He scores. He's on their top Power Play Line. He's their best Penalty killer (apologies, Z). He's the best faceoff man in hockey. Do you not believe that he has helped make Seguin and Marchand the players they are?

So, unless you equate Hart to "League Top 5 Scorer who plays on a playoff team," he would have merit.

Hart is Most Valuable, not top scorer.

nally

When you have something to say, silence is a lie
Sponsor
Nov 8, 2004
London, Ontario
www.Directdial.com
If the B's run away with the East (which they might), he is clearly the most important player on the team, and deserves serious Hart consideration.

He scores. He's on their top Power Play Line. He's their best Penalty killer (apologies, Z). He's the best faceoff man in hockey. Do you not believe that he has helped make Seguin and Marchand the players they are?

So, unless you equate Hart to "League Top 5 Scorer who plays on a playoff team," he would have merit.

Hart is Most Valuable, not top scorer.

Is it clear? Chara, Rask, Seguin have to be at least close if not just as important. I'm not a Boston fan, so there is a certain level of ignorance on my end. Just don't see a "clear" separation between Bergeron and a few other Bruins.

I made the example earlier, that if you want clear cut separation, take a look at E.Stall and Carolina.

Dabruins

Mar 15, 2003
Canada
Why are "we" (Bruins fans) even arguing about this. We are lucky enough to have him, we are lucky enough to see his value. It's funny because even the people arguing against him are not criticizing his importance to the Bruins, most are calling him our best player (rightfully so imo), but they are just saying he is not a top ten player in the NHL. Which is probably accurate because it is sports nature to value points over complete package guys. He isnt a sexy name, he wont draw fans in opposing arena's the way the Crosby's and Stamkos do, but what he does is win. He does that by doing everything above average (skating, shooting, hitting, fighting? lol) and a few things exceptionally (defense, faceoffs, leadership, personality, passing). So lets not bicker over is he a top 10, should he win this or that. Lets just enjoy being able to cheer for a player like Patrice, and maybe talk about fixing the PP or getting Soderberg lol.

Perceptor

World Class
Mar 19, 2012
Calgary, AB
That's a sweet stat and I've been reading about whether he's a top 10, top 15, or top 20 player.

I just love the fact he's on our team as well. Plays hard, scores, plays good defense, and seems to be a humble, classy, and nice guy (from what I see). You can't ask for much more in one of your core players.

I'm going to enjoy watching him in his prime and play out the rest of his career as a Bruin. I think he's a top 20 player though and to me, he deserves to be on the Canadian Olympic Team in 2014.

Artemis

Took the red pill
Dec 8, 2010
Mount Olympus
Why are "we" (Bruins fans) even arguing about this. We are lucky enough to have him, we are lucky enough to see his value. It's funny because even the people arguing against him are not criticizing his importance to the Bruins, most are calling him our best player (rightfully so imo), but they are just saying he is not a top ten player in the NHL. Which is probably accurate because it is sports nature to value points over complete package guys. He isnt a sexy name, he wont draw fans in opposing arena's the way the Crosby's and Stamkos do, but what he does is win. He does that by doing everything above average (skating, shooting, hitting, fighting? lol) and a few things exceptionally (defense, faceoffs, leadership, personality, passing). So lets not bicker over is he a top 10, should he win this or that. Lets just enjoy being able to cheer for a player like Patrice, and maybe talk about fixing the PP or getting Soderberg lol.

Hell yes. :handclap:

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home

From the minute he stepped on the ice at his very first training camp session in Wilmington I knew this kid was special and I wanted him to be a Bruin for a long, long time. He has never disappointed me. He's a true leader on and off the ice and someone to be proud of on the team. There isnt a team in the league, or smart coach, that wouldnt jump at the chance of having him.

I hope he goes the distance and spends his entire career here until they raise his number to the rafters.

C77

Mar 12, 2009
Junior's Farm
It's been a long time since the zamboni commercial.

Bergeron is amazing. There aren't many guys that compete the way he does.

Indeed maybe someday he will get his number retired by the B's.

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
Good run. It took a blown offsides call to end it.

Yup, and the pass to Lupol was very nice too. Good run Patrice time to start the streak over again!

Bergerons backhander tonight was a thing of beauty. Both are goals were great, Lucic beast mode putting on the Jets. And Hamilton making a good rush and picking the puck up off the board and finding Bergy who tucked home a great backhander.

BobbyMarks1

Jun 29, 2011
North Smithfield, RI
That's a sweet stat and I've been reading about whether he's a top 10, top 15, or top 20 player.

I just love the fact he's on our team as well. Plays hard, scores, plays good defense, and seems to be a humble, classy, and nice guy (from what I see). You can't ask for much more in one of your core players.

I'm going to enjoy watching him in his prime and play out the rest of his career as a Bruin. I think he's a top 20 player though and to me, he deserves to be on the Canadian Olympic Team in 2014.

His line is going to be the third line for Canada in 2014.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad