Bergenheim hit on Farnham

FlaPanthers11

Cats Are Coming?
Aug 30, 2013
Whatever. Summing to up: good hit, could've been a minor, wasn't, Farnham doesn't care as it's the game he chooses to play and he knows soon as the Pens are healthy he's going back down. Did I miss anything? Didn't think so. Good night.

I think this could be added to your summary with just some minor name changes.

Here is the point you fail to understand: while you people are busy chestbumping each other because Gudbranson beat Downie in a fight (a fight Downie initiated), you are completely clueless to the fact the tone of the game changed after it. It's subtle, I know...

:teach:

Zen Arcade

Bigger than Kiss
Sep 21, 2004
Pittsburgh
Panthers fan here who was at the game and had a clear view of this hit:

Awesome shoulder to shoulder hit, but Farnham never touched the puck and it should have been interference. I have no idea why there is a debate.

You can't see really where the puck is on any of the replays and someone (Kerry Fraser, maybe?) said the refs will you "the vicinity" when discussing similar hits, as in they'll consider a player to have possession if they're close enough to the puck. It's a pretty murky situation, for whatever reason.

Some Pens fans are just mad that there isn't more consistency, after Bortuzzo was suspended for the "extreme lateness" of his hit on Jagr.

Catsfan7

Jun 6, 2011
Coral Springs, FL
You can't see really where the puck is on any of the replays and someone (Kerry Fraser, maybe?) said the refs will you "the vicinity" when discussing similar hits, as in they'll consider a player to have possession if they're close enough to the puck. It's a pretty murky situation, for whatever reason.

Some Pens fans are just mad that there isn't more consistency, after Bortuzzo was suspended for the "extreme lateness" of his hit on Jagr.

Don't worry, most fans in the NHL are confused as to consistency, I guess most can only say what they saw from replays, I'm just relaying what I saw with my eyes.

Jersey Fresh

Video Et Taceo
Feb 23, 2004
T.A.
Geez, you people are relentless, I give, you get the last word. (And I won't even mention that what you lack in logic and intellectual integrity, you make up with really impressive snarkiness).

Sure thing, scooby.

You're using a lot of words, but I just keep substituting them for the screeching noises I'm positive you're making on the other side of that keyboard. My logic is just fine thanks, the only thing lacking here is your ability to grasp of an overt piece of derision directed at a pretty evident group of posters in the thread. Following it up with your ensuing hissy fit only served to dig that hole a few feet deeper, sonny. (I think I have a few more of those in the vault, let's see.)

Last edited:

ss53mech

Nov 27, 2010
Jacksonville NC
Pens fan here.

Hit was clean. Equally as clean as the hit Farnham laid on Ekblad, and as clean as the hit Bortz laid on Jagr. I didn't see a problem with any one of them. What the department of player safety has to say about it, who knows? Dude just got caught going southbound in the northbound lane. Bergenheim even lined it up well, shoulder to shoulder.

I get wanting to support your team's player and all, but you have to remove bias or you'll end up making a fool of a group you're part of. Good hit, good game.

(Still think Mitchell's helmet swinging antics should have cost him a couple games, more on principle than any real threat to injure. Just a d-bag move.)

titaniumexpose

LG Pens & Sharks
Dec 13, 2006
Ohio by way of Ford City, PA
Sure thing, scooby.

You're using a lot of words, but I just keep substituting them for the screeching noises I'm positive you're making on the other side of that keyboard. My logic is just fine thanks, the only thing lacking here is your ability to grasp of an overt piece of derision directed at a pretty evident group of posters in the thread. Following it up with your ensuing hissy fit only served to dig that hole a few feet deeper, sonny. (I think I have a few more of those in the vault, let's see.)

It might make more sense to engage the PIT fans who you're at odds with, don't you think? Mondello clearly stated he has no problem with the hit, and I agree.

Last edited:

10coach*

Feb 21, 2014
farnhamberg.gif

It wasn't. Text-book blindside hit. Puck was long gone... and it honestly doesn't even look like Farns touched it. And even if people did think it was dirty, it was on a Penguin so it was well deserved, right?

Who ever said a player has to touch the puck to get hit? Also, It's not long gone that's a perfectly legal hit.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
I am not much for going on the main board with things, and wish they hadn't. But people do not have to act clueless about what the thread is actually about.

Some are all wound up because there is pretty much no difference between the hit tonight and this one:

CourteousEnragedBactrian.gif

The right answer is that neither of these hits were suspension worthy, and maybe a two minute call at most. Big whoop. It is not like losing Bort a couple games has hurt the Pens all that much. Bad call, inconsistent, but no real damage done except to Bortuzzo's wallet.

And certainly not thread worthy. But like I said, as it is here, at least get what is going on with the OP and what you all are arguing about.

Snapdragin

Aug 14, 2014
PA
Sure thing, scooby.

Why are you so upset? Take a breath, I have not read a post so petty and childish in quite some time, well yes I did, your previous posts from this thread all were pretty goofy. You should not let faceless strangers on HF get to you.

About the hit, people more knowledgeable than me are saying it was borderline and could have been a minor, so I'll go with that. The no call is not surprising nor that upsetting since there was no injury. Bobby is an agitator and this is not the first or last time he won't be on the favorable side of a call. Us fans knew the price these kind of players bring, I personally think it is worth playing guys like Farnham, I just hope the coaching staff continues to agree.

Wow my 100th post!

Last edited:

walle

Sep 9, 2008
Northpole
Who ever said a player has to touch the puck to get hit? Also, It's not long gone that's a perfectly legal hit.

Also since the puck is in Bergenheim's vicinity, he is allowed to make a hit even without touching it. Forsberg backhits, Koivu on Kronwall, Selanne gone wrong, etc. Pretty basic hit on puck battles. Key is to having the puck there. The player getting hit doesnt need to touch the puck at all in that scenario. Its the good blindside hit.

pb1300

#CatsAreComing
Mar 6, 2002
Αιγιο-ΕΛΛΑΔΑ
Also since the puck is in Bergenheim's vicinity, he is allowed to make a hit even without touching it. Forsberg backhits, Koivu on Kronwall, Selanne gone wrong, etc. Pretty basic hit on puck battles. Key is to having the puck there. The player getting hit doesnt need to touch the puck at all in that scenario. Its the good blindside hit.

It wasnt a blindside hit though, because you can see Farnham bracing for the hit.

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
Do pens fans always play the victim? Jesus. Seemed like a hard hit, might have been a bit of interference, was nothing like the Jagr hit and it for sure isn't suspendable

No.

However, you are dead wrong about the Jagr hit. That hit was significantly less late than this one and lateness was the only reason given for the suspension. Given that it resulted in a suspension, so should this.

Although, it's a joke to suspend for either.

Our beef isn't with Bergenheim. It's with legacy hire Burke in DPS.

10coach*

Feb 21, 2014
No.

However, you are dead wrong about the Jagr hit. That hit was significantly less late than this one and lateness was the only reason given for the suspension. Given that it resulted in a suspension, so should this.

Although, it's a joke to suspend for either.

Our beef isn't with Bergenheim. It's with legacy hire Burke in DPS.

This hit isn't late at all.

terex

Jan 2, 2010
I'm getting really sick of these Penguins players not respecting hockey legends on the ice.

Farnham should be suspended for his blatant hit to Bergenheim. Bergenheim didn't even have the puck!

Get this garbage out of the league.

pb1300

#CatsAreComing
Mar 6, 2002
Αιγιο-ΕΛΛΑΔΑ
I am not much for going on the main board with things, and wish they hadn't. But people do not have to act clueless about what the thread is actually about.

Some are all wound up because there is pretty much no difference between the hit tonight and this one:

CourteousEnragedBactrian.gif

The right answer is that neither of these hits were suspension worthy, and maybe a two minute call at most. Big whoop. It is not like losing Bort a couple games has hurt the Pens all that much. Bad call, inconsistent, but no real damage done except to Bortuzzo's wallet.

And certainly not thread worthy. But like I said, as it is here, at least get what is going on with the OP and what you all are arguing about.

There is a difference between the two. The puck was 6 feet away from Jagr, while the puck wasnt even a stick length away from Farnham. The right call was made in the Jagr situation, and it could have gone either way with the Bergenheim hit.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad