Post-Game Talk: Bent But Not Broken | Leafs Win 2-1

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheProspector

Oct 18, 2007
Orlando
Those 16 to 34 backdoor passes on the PP sure remind me of that magical season when 42 was passing to 16 in roughly the same spot. That PP also had better legitimate shooting threats at the point, though.

Reactions: PhiladelphiaKessel

Loosie

The Eternal Optimist
Jun 14, 2011
Kitchener, Ontario
This bottom 6 is horrendous though, no identity. If they make the playoffs, that is going to be their undoing.

Just remember we're missing 2 wingers still in Johnsson and Mikhayev. This has been our patchwork bottom 6. A fully healthy bottom 6 is much better (obviously)

tom leafers

Jan 25, 2017
Toronto
one thing that i havent seen mentioned is how Sergachev took a Matthews slapshot right off the head.

He is so god dam lucky it hit his helmet. an inch lower and he gets that right in the ear

Sniper99

Jan 12, 2011
Edmonton
Not even 100 posts :laugh: I can see your going fun to deal with

We talk about players and the team, sometimes they get critised and sometimes they get praise so your going to have to deal with that

Now I'm being very nice but if your going to get into personal attacks things will get way less friendly very quickly
Personal attacks? relax. He wasnt wrong.

Zizzzzy

Dec 6, 2017
one thing that i havent seen mentioned is how Sergachev took a Matthews slapshot right off the head.

He is so god dam lucky it hit his helmet. an inch lower and he gets that right in the ear

Lucky indeed.

I have mixed feelings between "Anybody taking a slap shot from 15 feet away to the head needs quiet time" and "He went down like he was shot, got the whistle, and was back on the ice next shift." Its not like he was faking taking a Matthews slap shot to the head, but he actually "tapped out" while down on the ice which initially made me think he had been really hurt...but then he just pops up and is all like "I'm good guys..."

56 Years No Cup

New and Improved Username!
Nov 12, 2007
I was replying to another poster so go away, your not the internet police

He was bad for an extended period of time, far longer than usual by even his standards and he's been inconsistent over his career to date

I didn't think Campbell should be the starter but if Andersen had of continued struggling I thought he should be getting more starts down the stretch, I don't think that was an unfair position to take either
They can call me whatever they want I on't care. I've seen Andersen enough to know he's very streaky and not reliable in the playoffs. If they can find a taker for him this summer I'd trade him. If not he can move on after this contract. I'm not resigning him.

Reactions: Kiwi

Jeffrey Pedler

Mar 21, 2018
4th line was solid. Goat and Clifford look good together. I don't understand why so many people rip on the goat. Every time there is a puck battle this guy wins. Our top 2 lines need to learn to cycle like this when its a tight game.

What some fans don't understand is that getting a fourth line centre with a first round pick is better than getting a career AHLer with a first round pick. It's nice to see Keefe give him more PK time. He is 54% in the dot and his 6'5 is good for blocking shots is exactly what the Leafs need.

Reactions: SAMCRO44

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
They can call me whatever they want I on't care. I've seen Andersen enough to know he's very streaky and not reliable in the playoffs. If they can find a taker for him this summer I'd trade him. If not he can move on after this contract. I'm not resigning him.

So you'd just ditch him without being too concerned about the return? Doesn't seem smart to me, there's no such thing as a perfect goalie but he is at the very least an above average NHL starting goalie, he's better than any goalie we've had since Belfour and he had a .922 SV% in last years playoffs. If we get someone better, great. Until we do, thinking that getting rid of him would improve our team is pure insanity.

Perhaps you've forgotten what our goaltending was like in the 15 years or so before Andersen arrived?

Reactions: saltming

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki

I'd want to know what's available in the off-season before I'd cut him lose, I'd be willing to have him play out his contract since I'm not sure there's going to be anything better on the market

But I do know one thing, there is no way I'd sign him to an extension for more money and any kind of term, none

I'd try to get Campbell more starts next season, a 30/50 split maybe and see if platooning Andersen improves his playoff performance and in season health

Reactions: Menzinger

tom leafers

Jan 25, 2017
Toronto
Lucky indeed.

I have mixed feelings between "Anybody taking a slap shot from 15 feet away to the head needs quiet time" and "He went down like he was shot, got the whistle, and was back on the ice next shift." Its not like he was faking taking a Matthews slap shot to the head, but he actually "tapped out" while down on the ice which initially made me think he had been really hurt...but then he just pops up and is all like "I'm good guys..."

I agree but im certainly not opposed to or upset that the whistle went.

Taking a slapshot off the helmet probably still rings the bell a bit and if anything is probably quite shocking. My initial reaction would probably be to lay on the ground too lol. Also i believe tampa gained possession of the puck anyways.

A similar play happened when i believe Cernak or what ever his name was took a puck off the knee. the whistle was blown while the puck was in the leafs zone, but Tampa again had possession, so i don't really mind either call.

56 Years No Cup

Nov 12, 2007
So you'd just ditch him without being too concerned about the return? Doesn't seem smart to me, there's no such thing as a perfect goalie but he is at the very least an above average NHL starting goalie, he's better than any goalie we've had since Belfour and he had a .922 SV% in last years playoffs. If we get someone better, great. Until we do, thinking that getting rid of him would improve our team is pure insanity.

Perhaps you've forgotten what our goaltending was like in the 15 years or so before Andersen arrived?
I knew someone would pull this strawman. It's not my job to get a replacement, it's Dubas'. There's guys I could suggest, and there's up and comers, but I'm not interested in getting into a debate about it.

I have stated my position on Andersen, and I'm sticking by it.

56 Years No Cup

Nov 12, 2007
I'd want to know what's available in the off-season before I'd cut him lose, I'd be willing to have him play out his contract since I'm not sure there's going to be anything better on the market

But I do know one thing, there is no way I'd sign him to an extension for more money and any kind of term, none

I'd try to get Campbell more starts next season, a 30/50 split maybe and see if platooning Andersen improves his playoff performance and in season health
This at the very least.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
I knew someone would pull this strawman. It's not my job to get a replacement, it's Dubas'. There's guys I could suggest, and there's up and comers, but I'm not interested in getting into a debate about it.

I have stated my position on Andersen, and I'm sticking by it.

What strawman? Quality starting goalies don't grow on trees, that's a fact. Andersen if an above average starter, that's another fact. We haven't had anyone as good as him in a very long time, that's another fact.

All you got is you want to get rid of him.

Marshy

Behind Enemy Lines
Oct 3, 2007
Ottawa
The concussion spotters are useless. Guy takes a slapshot of the side of the head, nothing. Freddy got knocked in the head pretty good, nothing. What exactly do they do?

what-would-you-say-you-do-here-meme-com-9398416.png

56 Years No Cup

Nov 12, 2007
What strawman? Quality starting goalies don't grow on trees, that's a fact. Andersen if an above average starter, that's another fact. We haven't had anyone as good as him in a very long time, that's another fact.

No, that's not "all I got". I have alternatives I like but as I stated above I'm not interested in getting into a debate about it, so you can pretend you knocked them all down based on save percentage, "muh stats" or other perceived shortcomings vis a vis Andersen.

He's older and I'm not interested in signing him to an extension. Time to move on.

Zizzzzy

Dec 6, 2017
I agree but im certainly not opposed to or upset that the whistle went.

Taking a slapshot off the helmet probably still rings the bell a bit and if anything is probably quite shocking. My initial reaction would probably be to lay on the ground too lol. Also i believe tampa gained possession of the puck anyways.

A similar play happened when i believe Cernak or what ever his name was took a puck off the knee. the whistle was blown while the puck was in the leafs zone, but Tampa again had possession, so i don't really mind either call.

You are probably right. There have been plenty of times I've cut myself and for the first 10 seconds I'm convinced I'll look down and see a severed finger, but it ends up being a paper cut.

IIRC nobody touched the puck however. I seem to remember it bouncing back to the corner and Matthews initially made a move for it but then realized the guy was down and looked more concerned for him than the puck (Aww, good guy Matthews).

Reactions: tom leafers

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005

Not sure how ridiculous the take you're quoting is, but there's 2 recent winners (Holtby, Crawford) as slated UFAs with a bunch of other 1A/B type options having better years than Andy (Lehner, Greiss, Khudobin). There's also some trade possibilities with a guy like Gorgiev, Jarry/Murray, etc..

I wouldn't be desperate to dump Freddy, but he's not a must keep either IMO

Moonman

Jul 3, 2015
Lucky indeed.

He's a tough guy. Never knew that until his fight with McCabe...

56 Years No Cup

Nov 12, 2007
Not sure how ridiculous the take you're quoting is, but there's 2 recent winners (Holtby, Crawford) as slated UFAs with a bunch of other 1A/B type options having better years than Andy (Lehner, Greiss, Khudobin). There's also some trade possibilities with a guy like Gorgiev, Jarry/Murray, etc..

I wouldn't be desperate to dump Freddy, but he's not a must keep either IMO
I like your post but if you didn't see who he quoted you must have me on ignore, because you would know my take wasn't "ridiculous".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad